Subject combination for PRELIM 2014 (1 Viewer)

marauder7

HSC
Hey so wondering how is the combination of subjects for year 11 next year and any
inside tips for how each might be.
PROBLEM:

WHICH HISTORY SHOULD I DO? ancient or modern
Strengths are in English

Subject for year 11:
Advanced English
English Extension I
Maths (2 unit)
Maths Extension I
Chemistry
Economics
Ancient History or Modern

Year 12
Advanced English
Eng Ext 1
Eng Ext 2
Ancient History or Modern
Chemistry
Economics
Maths (2 unit)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Wow, very heavily weighted subjects. Well, It's up to you really.
If you like Egypt, Greece, Near East then Ancient's for you. Modern I think requires more memorisation of dates, I can't be sure. Ancient, not so much dates, but you do have to have an idea of the time period of your topics.
Also, why take Maths ext if you're gonna drop it?

You might as well take both ancient and modern for year 11 and see which one you like better instead of wasting time on Maths Ext 1. That's my advice.

marauder7

HSC
Also, why take Maths ext if you're gonna drop it?

You might as well take both ancient and modern for year 11 and see which one you like better instead of wasting time on Maths Ext 1. That's my advice.[/QUOTE]

Well the extension maths will at least help me perform in the advanced maths and I know I will struggle with it but its more the idea it may help my overall thinking or reasoning in maths and hopefully give an edge in chem.
The real problem is the histories, it's my best performing subject at the moment but if I'm planning on doing both extensions for English I know that the workload will be crazy. Your doing Ancient at the moment, what is the crux? Cons and pros

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
^ Haha that was my logic with english extension. Force more work --> should improve overall for Eng Adv.

historia

HSC
Do both histories if you can. I do both histories atm and I love it. They end up being a lot less similar/ related in terms of skills than what you would think. Obviously they're both fairly heavily based, but ancient is more about source analysis/ interpretation of ancient historians, whereas modern is a lot more clear cut. Personally I found ancient more interesting because you spend more time reading and making up your own mind about things than just having facts dictated to you, but most of the other people that do both seem to prefer modern. Definitely recommend doing both though. EE1 is really interesting as well if your good at/ enjoy english. It probably helps with your writing in English advanced too. The advanced course is pretty boring to be honest. Economics is good too, the prelim. course isn't difficult if you get the basic concepts behind things. Chem. I can't comment on because I don't do it. Maths is just maths, nothing really changes. Best of lucking finalising your choices

historia

HSC
Plus with the workload from both histories+ both english extensions, it shouldn't really be that bad. If they're the courses that you want to do you should cope fine. Although, I don't start yr. 12 till next term so I might not be the best person to comment on that. Hopefully EE2+ both hist. isn't too heavy a workload in year 12. because i'm doing EE2, ancient+modern+extension hist. and SOR II. I guess i'll find out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)