Subject help for HSC? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
These are the subjects i want to pick, what do you think of them?

Math 2 Unit
English Extension 2
English Extension 1 (If i can do it)
Ancient History or Modern History
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1

I want to get into Law, and at Sydney Uni, Law is 99.55

Will these subjects aid me to get that UAI?

Thanks =)

spence

HSC

Math 2 Unit
English Extension 2
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1

Thanks =)
You can get that UAI with any subjects. And you do realise that you need to do extension 1 to do extension 2 right?

studentcheese

HSC

Math 2 Unit
English Extension 2
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1

Thanks =)
Any combination can pull you to 100 UAI.

Math 2 Unit: Fun. Interesting.
English Extension 2. If you are willing to compose Major Work.
English Extension 1 (If i can do it): Interesting.
Ancient History or Modern History: Do Modern History. Ancient History is a little boring, and sources are limited.
Economics: It's boring and complicated. It's not my type.
Business Studies: Easy but boring.
Legal Studies: Interesting. Recommended for law.
Studies of Religion 1: Boring but easy.

Nadiaaa

HSC
Yeah, to do extension 2 english, you have to be doing extension 1
I used to do extension 2, but I dropped it for my own reasons. It's a lot of work though, but if you enjoy yourself and work hard you'll be okay =]
Extension 1 is preetty good ^_^ Its more of a challenge than Advanced, which is awesome.
I do Ancient, and I really like it, and I used to do Religion1 but moved up to 2.
Alsoooo, in my opinion, Ancient and Religion are two subjects you can easily do well in =]

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC

Math 2 Unit
English Extension 2
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Studies of Religion 1

Thanks =)
I would agree that Modern is better than Ancient History in that it's more concrete and there's a lot more information out there. I'm sure you'll hear different opinions though. I would ask your teachers exactly what case studies they do for each course and make up your mind based on that.

English Extension 1 is really good ... a lot less tedious than Advanced and because you only study one module the whole year you get to go into more depth. English Extension 2 is also great, but only if you're willing to do a lot of independent work. No final exam though -- big plus.

Any combination of subjects can get you a 99.55 depending on how you end up doing in them. Only thing I would say is that you're currently looking at 15 units which could get very tricky to manage in the long run. I would seriously consider how the subjects will work out for you and maybe cut two or three units out if you think there may be a problem (I dropped Religion for exactly that reason ... if I were you I'd also choose between Economics and Business).

HSC
ok so out of all them i do legal which is really good. id recommend it :)
HSC year is way better than prelim.

SOR 1 - its pretty simple, easy to get marks in i think.

In prelim I did extension english & found it much easier than advanced. so i would recommend that if you're good at english especially & enjoy it.

Thats alot of subjects though? Like 16 units!!!

0hNivlek

HSC
I would choose Modern History too, it's my favourite subject plus it's fun!

I dropped Business studies cause it was boring lol.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Do subjects you like and are good at, that way you can get the highest possible uai.

Just a side note, extension eng is very different to eng adv, the way you think is more like math than english, so prehaps it won't be so bad if you are unsure.
Legal studies is not assumed knowledge for law, and most people say it wont be particularly helpful, if you are doing legal studies solely because you want to use it as a prerequisite for law, then reconsider.

rachierach

HSC
Economics is challenging at times but really good.
Business is easy but fun in a way and interesting.
Ancient is pretty good, but i've also heard lots of people who love modern.
Depends what you like. You can always change or drop stuff anyway (well in the first few weeks)

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Do subjects you like and are good at, that way you can get the highest possible uai.

Just a side note, extension eng is very different to eng adv, the way you think is more like math than english, so prehaps it won't be so bad if you are unsure.
Legal studies is not assumed knowledge for law, and most people say it wont be particularly helpful, if you are doing legal studies solely because you want to use it as a prerequisite for law, then reconsider.
Lol, in what way?

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Lol, in what way?
The way you think and and the stuff you communicate...... how context shapes the text and why it is written in certain way and how the author's method of writing is influenced by his time etc.etc....very hard to explain but yeh...you will get me as you progress.

LordPc

HSC

Math 2 Unit
English Extension 2: always a good challenge
English Extension 1 (If i can do it) : much better than advanced english. do it if you can
Ancient History or Modern History: this depends on preference. those who are saying to do modern just cause its better puzzles me. different subjects entirely. I really love ancient history because it is so different. ancient societies have very weird beliefs and customs which i find interesting to learn about. but modern for me is too modern, about recent wars and such which doesnt seem to be all that interesting. which is why i chose ancient over modern. if you liked SC history, i guess you might like modern, but otherwise id say go for ancient if you really want to do a history subject.
Economics
Business Studies
Legal Studies
3 different courses. scaling wise i'd say perhaps dont do business. might want to do legal so you can get a feel for it. so that if you happen to really hate legal for some reason, you find out now rather than in the first year of your law degree.
Studies of Religion 1: easy but would not advise anyone to pick it, unless they like religion for some reason or are forced by school.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
The way you think and and the stuff you communicate...... how context shapes the text and why it is written in certain way and how the author's method of writing is influenced by his time etc.etc....very hard to explain but yeh...you will get me as you progress.
Right. :spzz:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)