Subject Selection Dilema :S (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am debating on my last 2 unit slot. Considering Legal. As usual leave to the last minute. Is it enjoyable?, stupid question since this is in the legal forum section. Could u approx gimme a break down on the test/assements/speech, etc. components. Gah, i dont exactly enjoy speechs. Guess ill have to get over it one day. I dont actually plan to become a lawyer. I go to Girraween, if that helps. Cheers

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
This is the only subject where i enjoy writing essays. Everything is really structured and content based so if you will have to know your stuff and remember a few legislations and media sources.

I enjoy it immensely, even though my teacher isn't up to standards. There's usually about 1 speech a year (for me anyway), and there's usually one in-class test (essay form) and one research task per year. I don't know about others but i have a pretty big interest in law so it helped me get through some of the more dull topics (women and ATSI - although, after i finished the topic i found ATSI to be a rather interesting topic, and extremely easy to write essays for).

I guess it ultimately depends on your interest in law. Oh and i do economics which ties in with legal studies at certain times so that's really useful too.

Goodluck.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
yeah i say choose legal
it gets heaps better in year 12...
so far im finding it really interesting
and as jago said the duller topics werent so bad!
so yeah its up 2 u and good luck with ur decision :)

monique66

i love leagal its just cramming heaven..speeches arn't worth that much (actually i wish they were worth more) and esssays seem to be worth the most (which i dun mind) just study the syllabus Key Questions and you'll be cruising...

claudia_p

HSC
ChilledAmbience said:
I am debating on my last 2 unit slot. Considering Legal. As usual leave to the last minute. Is it enjoyable?, stupid question since this is in the legal forum section. Could u approx gimme a break down on the test/assements/speech, etc. components. Gah, i dont exactly enjoy speechs. Guess ill have to get over it one day. I dont actually plan to become a lawyer. I go to Girraween, if that helps. Cheers
Legal is pretty easy and it's also really relevant to society in general, so most people find it interesting as well. I'd say that the vast majority of students who take legal don't end up becoming lawyers!- it's not a prerequisite for law at uni anyway.

What subjects are you tossing up between?

mercury-chic

Legal Studies is always an interesting class to go to. Most of what you'll learn you'll know already because it deals with almost everyday issues you'll hear on the news.

The only downside to the subject, I'd say, is having to remember all the case studies and legislations relevant to different situations. But if you enjoy the subject you won't have much trouble with that. :D

roadcone

HSC
yeah i wood say do it!! its probably like one of my fave subjects and its not hard at all, its pretty boring term 1 yr 11 doing all the basic stuff but after that it gets heaps better

HSC
Overwhelmed by response, apologies for late reply, holiday. I am tossing up between Chem, bio and obviously, legal. The other subjects are 2math, 2eng, bus, eco, modern. Legal is now 90% locked in.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
eco helps your legal.

roadcone

HSC
ChilledAmbience said:
Overwhelmed by response, apologies for late reply, holiday. I am tossing up between Chem, bio and obviously, legal. The other subjects are 2math, 2eng, bus, eco, modern. Legal is now 90% locked in.
yeah i do the exact same subjects, except instead of business i do re.. they fit pretty well together (the only thing is it is a shitload of essays, but its not that bad).. and yeah jago's right eco definately does help legal

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
year 11 legal sucks ass, but if you drop if you're a fool because year 12 legal is the bomb

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
yeah, don't drop it just because you HAVE to go through ATSI and Women. It will get better.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
nice choice mate. doing year 11 is a bitch, but in year 12, it gets really good. you get major discusions that trun into abusing wars, with the trenches taking over the desks

out of modern or bio, i would do modern. it would lead to history extension. also, the fact that both modern and bio scale almost thet same, it would be a good idea.

however, it all depends on where your interests lie. its all down to your choice.

however, to get a more informed choice, have a look at the uac guides to see whether you need a such subject for a such course. it'd really suck to do a bridging course. maybe your decision will lie in what you may want to do in uni.

another way to choose, wqould be to thik what you want to be studying in year 12, therefore looking at what extensions there are for your subjects, and what topics you may ahve to cover if you have to take a pick at what you want to study more.

AJohnston1121

HSC
ChilledAmbience said:
Argh..now debating whether to do bio or modern. :S

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?p=1245866#post1245866
I hope that works.. *rolleyes*

Bio bored me to death. I dropped it at the end of yr 11. I only picked it so I could make up my units cause there wasn't much to pick in that line :(

But plus I love my History's :)

I'am doing Three: Ancient, Modern and Extension its a shitload of essays but I really Love Modern. I only picked Ancient cause I swapped from Business (it bored me too). Now I REALLY enjoy Anicent almost as much as Modern.

So in answer to your question choose Modern History. Also ask the Modern History teacher what topics they will be doing btw. We did the Romanov's Jack The Ripper (That was cool cause we had to solve it) and JFK (it was cool to another one we had to solve :) Now We do WW1, Hitler/Germany and Conflict in the Pacific. Its really a good course if you get the right topics :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)