Subject Selection For The Next Year (1 Viewer)

zxreth

HSC
yes it is true that economics scales better than business studies. and no generally teachers wont allow you to pick up extension english half way through year 11 let along year 12

HSC
N/A
lol... we pretty much do the same subjects.
I'm in year 11 doing what you listed except bio instead of physics, and business studies instead of eco.
I hate business studies, personally, I would Eco. Business is lame.

Gigacube

HSC
You can drop ext 1 English any time throughout the year as long as you have the minimum 12 units. Usually you won't be allowed to take an extra unit after selections but some schools do allow you within the first 2 weeks.

Don't choose eco over business just because of the scaling. I guess eco would be useful if you really wanted to do a ug course in that area. Talk to your teacher about the two and go to the Board of Studies site and find the syllabus and look at the content of both.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At most schools, you can't pick up Exts once Yr 11 starts (some have like a 2-5 week period where you can).
But I mean looking at your subs, if you don't have any other subject interests you might need to pick Ext English to make up 12 units.

Many people I know regret picking Business Studies, but I do know an odd person or two that really likes it. I know two people who do both, and they say eco is more interesting but much, much harder. Personally, I do eco and it can be a bit dry, but it is interesting and much more in depth than business. Oh and yes, definitely scales better by quite a bit.

muzeikchun852

HSC
if you want to do english extension, just choose it first and see how you go next year. just to be safe - because some school (like me) wont allow you to do extension course even though you get good mark in the normal 2u course.

i know people who's doing both business and economics, and yes economics scales way better than business. however, the difficulty has also dramatically increased. i did eco in prelim and it wasnt enjoyable (personally). in the other hand, my friend (who isnt very bright) can scrap through into the 90s with limited study so i guess its quite an easy course.

wild_rose

HSC
Yeah, you can't pickl up any extension course half way through the year. The only time you can do that is for Extension 2 english or Extension 2 Maths. I'm in year 12 know, and I've dropped 3 subjects because I just didn't enjoy them. I could have done well in them but I just didn't enjoy it compared to my other subjects and I felt that I was straining and stressing my self out. For year 11 you have to do at least 12 units, i suggest that you do 13 units ( i know you might not get frees but it's worth it.). About 130 kids at my school did Ext 1 English but about 40 have dropped down to Advance and I'll tell you what, they're amazing at English. Keep in mind that not all the subjects you do in year 11 are going to be your HSC subjects and I'm sure your school will allow for changes if you don't feel comfortable in the first week or so.

Business studies- We don't offer it at my school but from what I've heard, it's really simple. Economics is better if you want to do finance and accounting and become a merchant banker or something. But if you're only wanting to do it because the sclaing is good or people are telling it it's better for uni, please don't do it. The most important thing is to chose your favourite subjects and do well in the HSC.

Ahh, sorry about the long message, I just wanted to tell someone ( even if they're a stranger) what I wish someone told me when I was chossing my subjects:)

funnytomato

HSC
also diffrence of scaled marks between bs and eco gets larger as your mark gets lower

so that's why I said if you want to choose bs , do really really well in it to minimise the effect of bad scaling

funnytomato

HSC
you can just do 13 units (3u maths, 2u english, phys, chem, eco and bs) and drop one in year 12 once you figure which one you dislike most after prelim

or do 3u english instead of either eco or b s so that you have exactly 12 units so you wouldn't be as busy

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Year 11 doesn't matter as much, use it to see what you like, and Eco is awesome, just sayin'

big_bang344

HSC
I am planning to choose the same subjects as you next except instead of business or eco, i would choose SLR to fill in the missing unit. I am just curious to whether it would be too much of a workload if i chose all three sciences. I heard that it is like hell, and that you would have to waste up to 4 hours just studying for it everyday. Can anyone please tell me if whether it is true? Thanks.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You study as much as you want to study for it.

If you want to dedicate four hours a day to it - then go ahead, but I think that's excessive.

I had a friend who did all three and he didn't struggle at all. He was very pissed off when they put the exams on consecutive days though.

big_bang344

HSC
Hm... Well, like i mean i want to do well in (top 5) but i am worried that i would have to try really hard in order to get there. Anyways, thanks for answering, most likely will be choosing it next year then.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you're a good student - you should cope well. But do try it for now and then you can always change it up for the HSC.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
On the response to the doing 3 sciences...

I do two sciences and suprisingly, they are not much workload. Bio is pretty straightforward, DP very easy to follow and retain as you go through classwork. Chemistry is much harder, but once you get the concepts, it's fine.

Totes depends on your aptitude though. Someone I knew bit off way too much with Adv Eng, Ext Maths, 3 sciences (phys, chem +bio) and French Cont.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)