Subject Selection for Yr 11 2005.. help?? (1 Viewer)

dreamcandy

HSC
N/A
i'm still confused of what to choose..

So far..

Ext 1 Maths [3Unit] - ranked 21/25 of Advance Maths..not a very strong maths student, however parents plan to send me to summer school -_-"
Religion Studies [1Unit]
Eng ADV [2Unit]
Design Tech [2Unit]
Physics [2Unit]
Economics [2Unit]

New comments about my selection??
That is so far 12 units.. and i'm kinda deciding on taking another subject so i have a variety.. and also something to drop in yr 12...
i'm not sure wether i SHOULD or SHOULDn't take another subject considering work load..

i'm a little confused what to choose from: Society & Culture and Legal Studies..
or maybe i should do Extension 1 English instead?? What do you guys think??
i'm ranked 27 from a grade of 90 students.. so i'm still not sure wether i cud cope with Ext 1 .. i hear from ppl that adv. Eng sucks.. and ext1 is better - easier/funner?? is that true?

++ My career path is mainly design - Fashion Design ..

just a question on behalf of my friends.. what do you pplz think of taking all sciences? bio,chem,phys .. apparentally a few of my friends are planning to take all.. wud that be a dumb choice to take??

thanks in advance =]

afta???

HSC
if they luv science then it alright to do that...some ppl at my schhool go to great lengths to do all 3 ....wake up extremely early for a morning science class.....
do u tend to bludge religion? leagl studies is actually quite alot...loads of memorising n a passion for law is needed for u to even hang on n not fall asleep
as for ext 1 english it is interesting esp when debating comes up in classes as told by my friends (i dont do it but we do the same stuff intutoring n yea itz cool) n it totally helps advanced in yr12

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Society and Culture is really boring apparently, and every essay question has the words 'context' 'values' 'analyse' in it, so...

Although legal doesn't scale very well a lot of work is involved, I spend the most time on it except for Maths - you need to have a hell of a memory to remember all those concepts. And you must like it, otherwise you'll fall asleep straight away. 'nother thing, it kind of tends to canvass into your regular life..now whenever someone says 'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders' I straighten automatically and yell' Mabo, Wik, Croker Island...' gotten a lot of weird looks lately...

Ext is challenging but good, ppl do better in Adv if they've done Ext as well. Although its overloaded with context and values stuff. And science, I'm not a science person myself, but if you suck at maths don't do it.

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
Don't do Eng Ext 1 for a filler, there's too much work involved for that. I'm only doing it so I can do Ext 2. :D And don't do stuff just cos you think you SHOULD, unless you really need a certain subject for uni (which doesn't matter half the time anyway).

As for science-peeps, my friend does Phys/Chem/Bio/IPT/3uMaths/Adv. Eng. She likes it. Wants to be a vet or something. She may be crazy, but at least she's happy, which is more than I can say for most people. :)

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Jesus Christ yes, I have a friend like that, but I tell you, she is insane...INSANE! wants to be a vet too, continually curses UNSW for not having a vet science course.

If you're interested in a career in fashion you probably don't need physics...but if you like it, do it. business studies might be handy if you want to start up your own thing...

Luthien

Somewhere in the wilderness of my crazy mind
HSC
Last year when making my subject selections, our teachers told us that generally the top 20 in adv maths and adv english, are the ones who could cope with the extension courses, but then i know in my classes people who wereplacedin those who have dropped them (mainly becausetheyjust didn't want to).
I hate adv english, but really enjoy extension, the assessments are much more interesting, and it is more analysing, reading between and beyond the lines.
If you are interested in fashion design, is design andtech the same as textiles? someofmy freidsn do that. Business studies is also anoption.
Having a science does give you a numberof options for a career as well.
12 units is a good amount of units to haveinyr 11 (its the min requirement, asu know), i was doing14,but dropped 2 units after 3lessons, asi knew the work load would be too much, but then again some people can deal with it fine. With12units now, you can drop 2 units in yr12.
hope that was of some help!

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Do the subjects you feel you will do well in, and what interests you. you might want to go to some open days to look at your desired course for uni. check that there is is no prerequisite for that course. Doing all three sciences is NOT crazy-it is FUN :rolleyes:. Its up to the individual and what they like. dont let anyone influence the choices you make and people will see different courses differently. My 2 cents is that doing all sciences limits you to one areas, but i want to focus on what i want to do, therefore i chose it . i think you will find that taking 12/13 units is well enough for a student in year 11 who is adjusting to their new working standards. i find that 12 units gets a bit excessive, even in year 11. if your not a strong student for ME1, then having your parents sending you to summer school to improve is the best suport you can get. they obviusoly repsect your choices and want you to do well, but you need a little more confidence. :) i think you should stay positive about your choices as theres no point in regretting not picking/dropping once your year has started as it will make you slack off altogether

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Fashion design, really doesnt need much maths or english i think, and so majority of your subjects should be about enjoyment rather than "scaling"
DONT fall for this, as i did, and end up doing subjects you didnt like, do ones which interest you, and you think will be beneficial for you in the long run.

As for the Ext 1 english, it is not as much work, but obviously they'll be at a much higher end of the spectrum to advanced. It was a good subject for me, but it really depends on your modules and your teacher i guess

dreamcandy

HSC
N/A
hmmz thanks for ur responses guys =]
my subject selections r due tomorrow >.<"
and yeah.. i guess i'm kinda finalising my subjects to:
- Maths Ext.1
- Eng Ext.1
- D&T
- Physics
- Religion Studies
- Economics

13 units
hopefully I've made the right choice? I chose Physics coz its just INCASE i switch end of yr 12 that i'm more into something like software design or yeah anything computer/media related.. i dont know.. I hope i'd be able to drop something in yr 12 though 13units is alot!

afta???

HSC
i'm doin 13 next yr for yr12 but i think i can cope with it
i guess it will depend on the student n whether he/she is 'gifted' in a subject

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
dreamcandy said:
just a question on behalf of my friends.. what do you pplz think of taking all sciences? bio,chem,phys .. apparentally a few of my friends are planning to take all.. wud that be a dumb choice to take??

thanks in advance =]
no if yur friends do all the science, it will help them understand things better in every science. i dont recomend just doin 1 science i would do 2 at least or none at all. but u must only chose science if u like it, or otherwise u will fail.

advice, dont listen to coroneos

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
afta??? said:
i guess it will depend on the student n whether he/she is 'gifted' in a subject
Not so much being gifted in a subject as enjoying it...

afta???

HSC
cherryblossom said:
Not so much being gifted in a subject as enjoying it...
yea u r right...i admit i do fine in science (top classes) but absolutely hate it!!!
thanking god when yr10 was over n i can leave that as a bad time in my life

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
Omg Society and Culture rocks!! It is absolutely one of my favourite subjects along with ext english. I think it depends on your teachers though, our school comes like first in the state and we have great teachers...ok thats just my little society rant...

I think you've picked good subjects they're diverse but not too diverse as in ext english, religion, legal good combination...well thats from my experience anyway but considered i dropped legal (not from choice) maybe my advice isnt that relevant :p :cool:

mishka

HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
Society and Culture is really boring apparently, and every essay question has the words 'context' 'values' 'analyse' in it, so...
hey, it's not that bad, if you like culture. if you like learning about other countries and stuff go for it.

but you have to make sure you have enough time and energy to do the Personal Interest Project that's worth 30% of your external mark. it can be a bit of a bugger... but other than that, I think it's a great subject!!!

edit: i see you've already chosen. oh well... if you change your mind, there's always enough time to swap! :)

Last edited:

7minute

HSC
Subjects for Year 11

Hello, I'm in year 12 at the moment and I have 2 suggestions:

1. Unless your teacher is very good, the Preliminary Physics course is boring as hell.

2. Don't do 14 units in Year 11.

That's all I have to say.

memorable44

HSC
well I suggest if u wanna take ext maths then u would really need to work towards it, but its better to take it cos even if u drop it in year 12, u'll be better than alot of the 2unit students, but all the subject ur doing is all maths concentrated eg phsyics and chem.
But if ur tryna be a fashion designer u should take subjects like Visual arts and stuff as well. But ext english is good to take as well cos even though I dont do it alot of my fwends who do it said its so much fun, plus u can lwasy drop it if u dont like it.

All science subjects are good if ur planning to get into sumthing like med and stuff cos it needs sciences as a prerequisite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)