Subject Selection for Yr 11 2005.. help?? (1 Viewer)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
7minute said:
1. Unless your teacher is very good, the Preliminary Physics course is boring as hell.
Physics is probably one of the more interesting courses. IMO it's chemistry which is hard to take. Ultimately what people like myself write on these boards should have little, if any, bearing on your subject selections. We are all biased with our own personal interests. Find people who you know have similar mindsets and interests and perhaps they might be a good judge for you.

If there are any funky bass players our there with an interest in philosophy and quantum then i'd happily give you my thoughts :p.

Trev

stix
HSC
i reckon with ur rank in adv math u shouldnt do ext, we had say top 32 or so from 2 schools combine to the senior school, and now its down to 22 in the class and there is alot more dropping for yr 12...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
its better not to do the subjects with extensions, only if u need them. Ur better off doing something related to ur chosen career, becuase u need to satisfy pre-resiquates for uni or if u wana go to a private college
I would disagree, because if you have someone who is capable of ext 2 maths doing only 2u, then they will miss out on an oppurtunity to:
a) maximise their advantage across more units
b) get extension scaling.

And also ext 1 is required for a lot of uni courses (eg engineering).

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
toryn said:
Don't do Eng Ext 1 for a filler, there's too much work involved for that.
English Extension 1 is not a bad idea for a filler. instead of starting a new subject and dropping it, thats a waste of one year. if you do Eng Ext 1 and drop it, everything you learn in that class can be used in your Advanced English course.

impulse_17

HSC
my advice=
the most important thing to do is to choose the subjects that you think you will do the best in. make life as easy as possible for yourself in the hsc, dont choose subjects e.g. because you want a "challenge", believe me in the hsc you do not want to be "challenged", you want to be able to be confident that you can do well, especially if you're aiming for a high uai.

of secondary importance is to choose subjects that you think you will enjoy (chances are both things will be true, but not always).

DON'T do subjects that you think you 'should' do just because of scaling or because they make you look smarter etc etc. because you'll be kicking yourself when you realise that you're doing badly in a subject you hate, when you could have been doing well in something that you enjoy.

it's all common sense really.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)