Subject Selection Help? (1 Viewer)

pockykid

HSC
N/A
hello i'm in year 10 at hurlstone ag high and subject selections are coming up soon, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

i'm thinking of doing:
english advanced
maths 3u
japanese
agriculture
chemistry
physics
biology

...problem is, the school's timetable will only let me do 13 units at the maximum :( so i'm deciding which subject i'll have to do without.

in terms of my ranking and scores,
japanese - i came top 10 in year 7, 2nd in year 8 and 1st in year 9, and i'm currently first this year (but depends on how i go in the yearlys)

agriculture - i don't know my rank, because my school only gave certificates out to the top ten for year 7, equal 7th in year 8, equal 8th in year 9, and this year i'm currently equal first (cos i actually studied hard this year)

science - 1st in year 7, 5th in year 8, 2nd in year 9, and i sort of stuffed up the exam this year (i blame this on the teacher's absences), so i'll have to make up for it later... i'm trying to get at least top 20...

maths - i don't really care about maths, i always get 39/40 or so, so i'm probably equal 10th because 10 or so people get full marks each exam.

english - i never really planned to take anything other than english advanced since i'm always above average, but i'm not really uber good at english, so i wouldn't take 3u english.

thank you!

Alkanes

HSC
asian? lol ye do all of the sciences and maths and/or jap

Schoey93

HSC
hello i'm in year 10 at hurlstone ag high and subject selections are coming up soon, so i'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me?

i'm thinking of doing:
english advanced
maths 3u
japanese
agriculture
chemistry
physics
biology

...problem is, the school's timetable will only let me do 13 units at the maximum :( so i'm deciding which subject i'll have to do without.

in terms of my ranking and scores,
japanese - i came top 10 in year 7, 2nd in year 8 and 1st in year 9, and i'm currently first this year (but depends on how i go in the yearlys)

agriculture - i don't know my rank, because my school only gave certificates out to the top ten for year 7, equal 7th in year 8, equal 8th in year 9, and this year i'm currently equal first (cos i actually studied hard this year)

science - 1st in year 7, 5th in year 8, 2nd in year 9, and i sort of stuffed up the exam this year (i blame this on the teacher's absences), so i'll have to make up for it later... i'm trying to get at least top 20...

maths - i don't really care about maths, i always get 39/40 or so, so i'm probably equal 10th because 10 or so people get full marks each exam.

english - i never really planned to take anything other than english advanced since i'm always above average, but i'm not really uber good at english, so i wouldn't take 3u english.

thank you!
Is agriculture compulsory at Hurlstone Agricultural High School? Although the name suggests this, you don't have to do HSC Ag if you go to JRAHS. If it's not compulsory, I wouldn't take it personally.

If you have to take Ag because you either adore it or are forced to take it, then, if you wanted subjects that inter-relate, I'd drop Physics and take Bio and Chem or drop Bio and take Physics and Chem. I do preliminary Biology and it is quite dull, I must admit, but towards the end of Patterns in Nature you get to study interesting topics such as mammalian teeth, the digestive system and open and closed circulatory systems. The field study for A Local Ecosystem is quite interesting but also quite basic. Life on Earth sounds like it could be the most interesting topic, but we'll see.

In the end it really is up to you. The only thing that you've said which concerns me is that you don't really care about maths. If you have that attitude towards HSC 3U Mathematics, chances are you may just crash and burn...

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Is agriculture compulsory at Hurlstone Agricultural High School? Although the name suggests this, you don't have to do HSC Ag if you go to JRAHS. If it's not compulsory, I wouldn't take it personally.

If you have to take Ag because you either adore it or are forced to take it, then, if you wanted subjects that inter-relate, I'd drop Physics and take Bio and Chem or drop Bio and take Physics and Chem. I do preliminary Biology and it is quite dull, I must admit, but towards the end of Patterns in Nature you get to study interesting topics such as mammalian teeth, the digestive system and open and closed circulatory systems. The field study for A Local Ecosystem is quite interesting but also quite basic. Life on Earth sounds like it could be the most interesting topic, but we'll see.

In the end it really is up to you. The only thing that you've said which concerns me is that you don't really care about maths. If you have that attitude towards HSC 3U Mathematics, chances are you may just crash and burn...

I doubt it, he is coming 10th in mathematics @ Hurlstone.
Keep up the good work OP.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Why ask a bunch of random people what you should study over the next two years? You should know what you want to do. Don't rely on others, cos you'll be kicking youself when you're stuck with a subject that you hate.

jjasminee

HSC
Alright so your sticking with english adv and maths ext1.

Dont drop physics cauz you will probs do well considering your good at maths.

Unless you really really like jap, then dont keep it cauz you have primarily sciencey subjects so stuff you learn in one subject may crop up in another so you understand it more.

On the other hand, idk if you want to have so many science subjects, might help study be less tedious if you dont have so many of them.

Essentially, its up to you. Go with what you think you will do best in, what interests you the most or what may help you with what you wana do when you leave school.

AbaKaan

HSC
pockykid,

r u asian, curry, white, or other???
dam u smart
top ten in like everything at hurlstone!!!???
damn...

i envy u...
not really, u must be real nerdy....jaaaaaa???

:skip:

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
pockykid,

dam u smart
damn...

i envy u...

Does OP's race matter?

Dr_Quack

a;lsdkjf 'dajfdsjf'ds jaf
HSC
N/A
pockykid,

dam u smart
damn...

i envy u...

Surprisingly, the smartest people just have freakish natural talent (along with some hard work) and aren't nerdy at all (maybe even the opposite). I just guess that's how life is...

pockykid

HSC
N/A
thanks for the advice everyone :)

kyokaku92, well, i was thinking of doing something like biotechnology or a similar sort of subject at uni.

schoey93, about agriculture, i like it because it's quite easy to remember everything, and there's also not a lot of homework, which is good :) about maths, it's too easy at school to be honest. i pay attention all the time, but it's boring, cept when teacher gives us extra stuff like intro to calculus cos we're the top class. it's always fun at tutor though :) what we learn is so interesting.

jjasminee, oh, um, about the what-interests-me bit, i like learning new things in general. so i'd also take a ton of other subjects if there wasn't actually any work except for listening.

abakaan, uh... i'm asian. and no, i'm not forced by my asian parents to study, friggin' stereotypes. i'm not top ten for everything. the subject i'm worst at is pdhpe. i'm not very sporty. theory i don't study for cos it's one of the few things i find stupid. (like seriously, what sort of person doesn't know that if you take drugs, you get messed up?) english, i'm good at essays but rubbish at creative so it drags my mark down. history and geography i find interesting, so i'm pretty good at those, not top though. i don't study cept sometimes for science, japanese, agriculture and history.
people find a subject hard when they don't understand it. they keep on learning, but they never really understand that one part. then they need to use it for topics later on and find it even harder to understand, since they don't have the basics. the more hard the subject gets for them, and the less marks that they get in tests, the more they dislike the subject, until they finally hate it.
i've always liked learning new things and i get help when i don't understand things. since i've got a good foundation, i understand new things easily, which means i remember things easier, which means i get better marks in exams, which means i feel better and i like the subject more, which means that i feel more excited to learn new things, which means that i've got a better foundation to learn even more things! it's a cycle of happy learning :) it's not like i study all the time, i just pay attention in class and do the work.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the advice everyone :)

kyokaku92, well, i was thinking of doing something like biotechnology or a similar sort of subject at uni.

schoey93, about agriculture, i like it because it's quite easy to remember everything, and there's also not a lot of homework, which is good :) about maths, it's too easy at school to be honest. i pay attention all the time, but it's boring, cept when teacher gives us extra stuff like intro to calculus cos we're the top class. it's always fun at tutor though :) what we learn is so interesting.

jjasminee, oh, um, about the what-interests-me bit, i like learning new things in general. so i'd also take a ton of other subjects if there wasn't actually any work except for listening.

abakaan, uh... i'm asian. and no, i'm not forced by my asian parents to study, friggin' stereotypes. i'm not top ten for everything. the subject i'm worst at is pdhpe. i'm not very sporty. theory i don't study for cos it's one of the few things i find stupid. (like seriously, what sort of person doesn't know that if you take drugs, you get messed up?) english, i'm good at essays but rubbish at creative so it drags my mark down. history and geography i find interesting, so i'm pretty good at those, not top though. i don't study cept sometimes for science, japanese, agriculture and history.
people find a subject hard when they don't understand it. they keep on learning, but they never really understand that one part. then they need to use it for topics later on and find it even harder to understand, since they don't have the basics. the more hard the subject gets for them, and the less marks that they get in tests, the more they dislike the subject, until they finally hate it.
i've always liked learning new things and i get help when i don't understand things. since i've got a good foundation, i understand new things easily, which means i remember things easier, which means i get better marks in exams, which means i feel better and i like the subject more, which means that i feel more excited to learn new things, which means that i've got a better foundation to learn even more things! it's a cycle of happy learning :) it's not like i study all the time, i just pay attention in class and do the work.
Awesome, your doing the derivative half way through year 10 at school. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)