Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

ttrinix

HSC
Some common questions about Subject Selection:

Standard English, English Adv. or English Ext. 1/2 ?
Chemistry, Physics or Biology?
Maths (2 unit) , Maths Ext 1 ,Math Ext 2?

and
Humanities ... e.g. economics/ histories and any languages etc

and other suggestions!

What do u think? Why do you think that the subject is worth choosing?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
ttrinix said:

and

and other suggestions!

It really depends on individuals' academic capacity and varies according to one's need. If you perform reasonably in the area of Mathematics, I suggest you take Mathematics. For MX1 and MX2, higher degree of knowledge and skills of Mathematics is vital. However, if you are good at Mathematics, for the sake of your UAI, you should consider MX1 if not MX2 in Year 12.

Same thing applies to the field of English. English (Standard) is usually for the students whose English may not at the most advanced level. The texts are relatively easy and non-Shakespeare. However, it has been numerously noted that it is extremely difficult to achieve Band 6 in this particular subject. English (Advanced) is a recommended study for some University degrees. I know that Actuarial degree puts this as a recommended course. English (Advanced) enables students to explore English at an advanced level. It does have element of Shakespeare in it.

Bio, Chem and Physics are the courses that are either assumed knowledge or recommended studies for countless uni degrees related to the field of science (e.g. medicine). Chem looks at the chemical side of science (obviously) while physics looks at the physical side of science (too obviously) and lastly, bio looks at biological side of sciece (again, obviously).

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
If you are thinking of doing an ext do it year 11 so you know what you are up for...! you can drop it if you are struggling/don't like it. If you are excelling ahead then you can maybe up the ext to ext 2 or stay at the same level.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
sikhman said:
i think its worth doing mx1 in yr 11....even if you don't do well, you can drop it, and if you find that you love it, you can do mx2....
Yup, that's very true. MX1 is very fun!

EX1 on the other hand, is very very demanding. If you're up to doing (well for my school) an essay and extended response for homework at the end of almost every lesson, you'll slot right in :)

ttrinix

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
what dou plan to be ?
something along the lines of med/ sc

Just cant decide between the englishs and the sciences, pretty sure chem is a prerequisite for medicine.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
nerdsforever said:
whats better: 12 units or 10 units in Year 12
Depends how you look at it.
If you choose 10 units, some students say that it gives you time to focus on the bare minimum that counts for the HSC and you don't have a back up. But you get free periods :D
If you choose 12 units, you get a back up in case you screw one of your other exams over, but you won't have as much study time as you would if you chose to do 10 units.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
whats better: 12 units or 10 units in Year 12
Depends. If you do 12 units, you will have less free periods than 10 units. But if you have 12 units, you have some units as a back up unit. It's safer that way. But that subtracts the possibility that you might have more time to do well in less subjects.

I will personally go for more than 10 units not that because I want more units, it is just that there are so many subjects I want to do. I cannot drop them because I equally like them.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
lyounamu said:
Depends. If you do 12 units, you will have less free periods than 10 units. But if you have 12 units, you have some units as a back up unit. It's safer that way. But that subtracts the possibility that you might have more time to do well in less subjects.

I will personally go for more than 10 units not that because I want more units, it is just that there are so many subjects I want to do. I cannot drop them because I equally like them.
Judging from your signature, what about chem? :rolleyes: lol, only joking xD

But same here, I'd honestly go for 10 units. There's always something at the back of my mind that says 'you're going to screw up', which is why I need 12 Units.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Doctor Jolly said:
Judging from your signature, what about chem? :rolleyes: lol, only joking xD

But same here, I'd honestly go for 10 units. There's always something at the back of my mind that says 'you're going to screw up', which is why I need 12 Units.
I will drop it, yes. But I will still be left with 11 units. On top of that, I will welcome Cosmology as a new family of HSC subjects. So...

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd love to do cosmology as a course for the HSC. So easy... I love space! I have been fascinated about since I was a little boy (about 5). I had my first book when I was 7... pretty detailed about the universe and things in it. :D

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Aquawhite said:
I'd love to do cosmology as a course for the HSC. So easy... I love space! I have been fascinated about since I was a little boy (about 5). I had my first book when I was 7... pretty detailed about the universe and things in it. :D
Great! Choose Cosmology then

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
lyounamu said:

ohh okay. Thanks for that. :)

But then, if you have 11 units and no 1 unit subject, do they halve the two unit subjects or something?

also, when they take the top 10 units, some subjects may not have been chosen for a uai. Some unis have prerequisites. If the prerequisite was not counted for your uai because you got really shit say like 30%, then will they still offer you the course?

sorry for me asking so many questions :confused:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
nerdsforever said:
Great! Choose Cosmology then
Not offered at my school. Not offered online or distance education either... I am not going to change schools just to do one course either.

undalay

HSC
I believe cosmology is an advanced course available to students who accelerate. This can be (and usually is) done at a local university which offers it.

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
ttrinix said:

and

and other suggestions!

Seriously...this is such an overly-broad question.
What are you good at? What do you enjoy? What do you HATE?
Tell me that and then I'll help yeah?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aquawhite said:
I would not be that enthusiastic. I had a quick glance at the HSC material for Cosmology and it looks extremely challenging.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
nerdsforever said:
ohh okay. Thanks for that. :)

But then, if you have 11 units and no 1 unit subject, do they halve the two unit subjects or something?

also, when they take the top 10 units, some subjects may not have been chosen for a uai. Some unis have prerequisites. If the prerequisite was not counted for your uai because you got really shit say like 30%, then will they still offer you the course?

sorry for me asking so many questions :confused:
Yes, they halve it.

When certain uni chooses you, they do not take into account of your HSC courses. (excepting the courses that require you to have interviews). So, as long as you get the UAI (calculated with your top 10 units), you will get into the course. Assumed knowledge is an assumed knowledge. It does not have any impact whether you can get in or not.

However, if a certain courses requires an interview, you might be asked as to why you didn't choose a particular subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)