subject selection (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussiechick

HSC
Originally posted by aussiechica
Agent Z said: haha....wat subject was bludgy for you???

IPT. Then I got to my serious exams and the pain began :(
plus, the blugey teach I had knew nada about IPT, so she was no help. The pain, the pain
Did you take any bludge units?
I know exactly what you mean, I do IPT, its a bludge, but do I learn anything? nup. I'm going to ahve to start teaching myself

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Aussiechick
I know exactly what you mean, I do IPT, its a bludge, but do I learn anything? nup. I'm going to ahve to start teaching myself
yeah, also with sdd- there are not many "properly qualified" teachers around.

LiLLy_H

Hey everyone!

My subjects for Year 11 are as follows:

English Extension 1
Mathematics Extension 1
Chemistry
Economics
Business Studies

Z

zhouyn

my subjects selection for yr 11:

English Adv
3U math
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Modern History

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
business studies, heard it scales down 15% or so, dont quote me on this
Well out of 50, 25 being average, Business Studies scaled:
2001: 24.1
2002: 24.3
So it's not that bad really.

Arabic beginners was 11.0 last year!

sa-doo

Im doing Visual Arts next yr and intend to continue with it for HSC...I get marks in the high 90's (this yr 98, last year 96) and was just wondering if I get these kind of marks for HSC is it going to drag my UAI down ( I'm hoping to get the highest possible....isnt everyone??) Here are my choices:

2U English Advanced
1U Extension English
2U Japanese continuers...(externally at OHS....just got results for prelim yr!! (98.5!!!!) doing my HSC in that next yr)
2U French
2U Visual Arts
2U Mathematics
1U Religion (comp.)
2U Legal

14 Units all together, but Japanese is externally and I will finish it next year (I did yr 11 while i was in yr 10)

Please tell me about scaling!!! I really dont get it, and our teachers dont explain.....

PaleReflection

i can teach you
HSC
Originally posted by sa-doo
Please tell me about scaling!!! I really dont get it, and our teachers dont explain.....
I posted the link already in this thread, but

here it is again (click here). It tells you how subjects scale in relation to others. All the subjects you mentioned are above the average of 25, excluding Visual Arts and French (beginners, I assume as you didn't mention which it is). Go there anyway if you want to know the rest.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the teachers dont want to explain too much abt the scaling bcos their worried it'd affect ur choices and when u start doing subj simply cos of the scaling...dont we have a right to be informed and make mature decisions?

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I suppose Amoz...

2 English
1 Extension English
2 Mathematics
1 Extension Mathematics
2 Chemistry
2 Software Design and Development
2 Ancient History

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by amoz_lilo
the teachers dont want to explain too much abt the scaling bcos their worried it'd affect ur choices and when u start doing subj simply cos of the scaling...dont we have a right to be informed and make mature decisions?
scaling is confusing, its different each year, for each subjects. Your teachers arent being mean, they are just as confused and there is no point in explaining. its stupid, you shouldnt pick subjects on the basis of scaling anyways

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
oi------a can somebody (lol, anybody) give a fair analysis of the scaling for my subjects..

visual arts
3 unit maths
3 unit english
chemistry
physics

How high do you have to rank for scaling to be effective?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
hmm... this year I took a couple of year 11 classes, namely advanced and extension english, so now I'm doing my HSC for that (adv, ext1, ext2) so my preliminary classes next year are:

ancient history
modern history
drama
legal studies
photography (just to make up the units; my school doesn't even offer it in yr 12)

I'm happy cause, la la, no maths, science, geography or health. ever again. : )

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by glycerine
I'm happy cause, la la, no maths, science, geography or health. ever again. : )
ok the geography and health I can agree on, but maths is "fun", well science is anyway (well physics and Chemistry, not sure about biology) especially when you start talking about how to make HCL(aq) and a Hydrogen powered orange cannon.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by KarmaKitten
scaling is confusing, its different each year, for each subjects. Your teachers arent being mean, they are just as confused and there is no point in explaining. its stupid, you shouldnt pick subjects on the basis of scaling anyways
its is actually pretty much the same every year.. it depends on where u are in ranks and how well your school does that actually boosts ur UAI up..

basing ur subjects on scaling is like the last thing you want to do.. its stoopid as well.. they onyl scale higher because theyre difficult and requirea high amount of work.. sometimes even double

Originally posted by fi_babezy

How high do you have to rank for scaling to be effective?
for one : scaling effects you no matter what. you do shit, u get scaled, u do well, u get scaled, u do average, u get scaled.. so really everyone gets scaled :p

the issue of scaling up is another. no one actually knows what mark you need for a scaling up, but it is definite, that if you want a good UAI, ie, in the 90s, then you need to be getting band 5's and 6s for your HSC... ie 80+ in all your subs.. regardless of what subs you do, do well in them :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Originally posted by Xayma
ok the geography and health I can agree on, but maths is "fun", well science is anyway (well physics and Chemistry, not sure about biology) especially when you start talking about how to make HCL(aq) and a Hydrogen powered orange cannon.
oh no. no way. you have no idea of my hatred of maths and science. particularly cause the science department at my school are so grossly incompetent.

it doesn't matter anyway. never again! lalalalaalalalalala

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by fi_babezy
thanx kimmeh, that is reassuring.
no probs ;)

Originally posted by glycerine
oh no. no way. you have no idea of my hatred of maths and science. particularly cause the science department at my school are so grossly incompetent.

it doesn't matter anyway. never again! lalalalaalalalalala
i'm gussing your a lover of english.. :pp
:chainsaw:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by kimmeh
i'm gussing your a lover of english.. :pp
:chainsaw:
Oh yay more freaks *groans*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)