• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject Selections for year 11?! (1 Viewer)

HSC
You shouldnt really focus on picking subjects based on what you want to do at uni unless those subjects are pre-requisites or assumed knowledge.
Biology is assumed knowledge for Biotechnology. Unsure about pharmacy.

LOL then go for Economics. It scales relatively well. It's a relevant subject to study even if you don't what to use it for a future career. Biology is by no means needed for Biotechnology and/or Pharmacy since the HSC Biology course is not all human-biology and you'll be doing a lot of plant biology, ecosystems etc. IIRC, a friend doing both told me that Biology has a lot more memorising, whereas Economics is a lot more understanding-based and logical where you can also think as a consumer really easily, which is one of the most useul aspects of the course.
Agree with now ^^

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Go for the subjects that u think will interest u. There is more to education than just getting a high ATAR
Your HSC should only be about your ATAR, once you hit uni you'll realise how little 'learning' there is in high school. They covered ALL of my HSC in the first two weeks of my science degree. I'm not even kidding.

Focus on your ATAR in school, focus on learning during uni.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Your HSC should only be about your ATAR, once you hit uni you'll realise how little 'learning' there is in high school. They covered ALL of my HSC in the first two weeks of my science degree. I'm not even kidding.

Nope, it's much more fulfilling to get a slightly lower ATAR (not even, if you're enjoying your subjects, you're motivated to do well in them) and actually enjoy the material you are learning than getting a slightly higher ATAR but hate the subjects you are doing for 2 years because you find them dull.

It is incredibly narrow to think that what classifies an effective education is a number at the end. It is not. Education is about gaining knowledge. Yes, ATAR is important but when you leave school the knowledge is what stays in your memory, the ATAR becomes irrelevant the nanosecond you actually enter uni.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Nope, it's much more fulfilling to get a slightly lower ATAR (not even, if you're enjoying your subjects, you're motivated to do well in them) and actually enjoy the material you are learning than getting a slightly higher ATAR but hate the subjects you are doing for 2 years because you find them dull.

It is incredibly narrow to think that what classifies an effective education is a number at the end. It is not. Education is about gaining knowledge. Yes, ATAR is important but when you leave school the knowledge is what stays in your memory, the ATAR becomes irrelevant the nanosecond you actually enter uni.
Very valid points.

I guess it all comes down to whether you're after fulfilment or an ATAR. It depends on the person, I guess!

theind1996

HSC
N/A

BTW, iSplicer, I'm guessing that you did 3u maths, 3u english, phys, chem, eco for prelim and dropped 3u english and eco to pick up 4u maths? or you did the same thing but finished accelerated economics in 2009?

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I am most likely going to do:

- 3 unit maths
- 3 unit English
- Physics
- Economics
- Modern history

Edit: I actually really want to do chemistry as well although I will have to see if 14 units is alright for me to manage.

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
- Music 2
- 3 unit maths
- 3 unit English
- Chemistry
- SOR 1
- I'm tossing between Economics or Physics :/

HSC

- 3 unit maths
- 3 unit English
- Physics
- Economics
- Modern history

Edit: I actually really want to do chemistry as well although I will have to see if 14 units is alright for me to manage.
I would recommend doing 14 at first, and then you can always drop down to 12 units later on. Year 11 is a good time experiment and explore different subjects before doing the actual HSC courses. This way you won't have any regrets in the end or wonder whether you should have done chemistry (like me for physics :()
Good luck!

Levity

HSC
Dam my school only allows 13 units. Im thinking
3 unit Maths
3 unit English
Chemistry
Economics
Physics

kev-kun

HSC
Speaking of subject selection; we just got tested on our 'eligibility' of entering our subjects...

As for my choices...
3U maths
Adv English
Chemistry
Physics (doubt it... test was hell)
Music 2/SDD
SOR1

kev-

HSC
Most likely to do:
- 3 unit maths
- Advanced English
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Biology

sleepybearx

HSC
OKAY. Guize, I made a change in my decisions. I don't know if it's worth doing law... It seems so hard, and so demanding and you often hear people talking about how they can't find a job with their law degree. And i'm intimidated, and plus, my english/literacy skills aren't great. I'm freaking out. All these people on youtube have these videos like: WHY I HATE LAW SCHOOL. and i'm shitting brix. What are your opinions on law?!

My change in decision was considering a few factors, mainly the availability of a job in the future and also the success rate.
Apparently in 2018 the most 'demanding' job would be something along the lines of biomedical engineer, network analysis etc. and like you know, i'm starting to feel discouraged considering law. OMG!!

Should I move on to science, I mean I do like law but I don't really know anymore if it will benefit me and my ATAR.
What subjects should I pick?! I don't even know what I want to do anymore... I think I've thought through it, idk someone explain to me the positives and negatives of law, and also the positives and negatives of something like science - medicine or some shizzle. AHHH.

FANKZ

kazemagic

HSC
For law u need to hardwire a crap load of stuff in your brain i bet

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
OKAY. Guize, I made a change in my decisions. I don't know if it's worth doing law... It seems so hard, and so demanding and you often hear people talking about how they can't find a job with their law degree. And i'm intimidated, and plus, my english/literacy skills aren't great. I'm freaking out. All these people on youtube have these videos like: WHY I HATE LAW SCHOOL. and i'm shitting brix. What are your opinions on law?!

My change in decision was considering a few factors, mainly the availability of a job in the future and also the success rate.
Apparently in 2018 the most 'demanding' job would be something along the lines of biomedical engineer, network analysis etc. and like you know, i'm starting to feel discouraged considering law. OMG!!

Should I move on to science, I mean I do like law but I don't really know anymore if it will benefit me and my ATAR.
What subjects should I pick?! I don't even know what I want to do anymore... I think I've thought through it, idk someone explain to me the positives and negatives of law, and also the positives and negatives of something like science - medicine or some shizzle. AHHH.

FANKZ
Even if you get a law degree...it doesn't necessarily mean you HAVE to be a lawyer:/

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
In regards to the 5.3 -> math extension stuff
What are the 5.3 math topics for year 10?

HSC
Where did you get that information? I'm interested in reading it. :D

sleepybearx

HSC
I happened to stumble upon it while surfing the internet! Just type it in google . 2018 demanding jobs or something along those lines!

sleepybearx

HSC
Yeah I know, however there are limited jobs (i believe) . But now i'm deciding whether instead of legal studies is to choose : Business studies OR Biology OR keep legal studies. Totally CONFUSED. I've been thinking of biomedical engineering instead and apparently you don't need physics! awwww yeeah! but i'm still very doubtful and concerned on where i'm going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)