Subject Selections for year 11?! (1 Viewer)

sleepybearx

HSC
In regards to the 5.3 -> math extension stuff
What are the 5.3 math topics for year 10?
The chapters in my textbook cover: Algebraic techniques (quadratics etc.) , equations and inequalities , trig , coordinate geometry , data + probability , curve sketching & polynomials , circle geometry and functions + logarithms.

oxymoron

HSC
N/A
The chapters in my textbook cover: Algebraic techniques (quadratics etc.) , equations and inequalities , trig , coordinate geometry , data + probability , curve sketching & polynomials , circle geometry and functions + logarithms.
sweet thanks man

theind1996

HSC
N/A
+ do further trig, translations and transformations of curves, further co-ordinate geometry and you're well and truly set for yr 11 3 unit.

fatima96

HSC
I believe you would enjoy biology if you have an interest in the human body. However, Preliminary biology is so BORING AND POINTLESS! Bio isn't that difficult, it's all understanding and memorising.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I believe you would enjoy biology if you have an interest in the human body. However, Preliminary biology is so BORING AND POINTLESS! Bio isn't that difficult, it's all understanding and memorising.
Yeah, year 12 bio is more human and mammal shit, especially if you do the communication option because it includes the eye, brain and ear, which I found interesting.

swonez

HSC
Don't be perceived with Legal Studies. I was told that it was a very easy subject and that it was not difficult to get a band 6.
Whilst some of this is true, (the content is very easy to understand) there is A LOT to learn. There is also limited band 6's.
I go to an affluent school which prides itself on doing well, but even here, last years results produced only 5 or 6 band 6's from 40-45 students.
Saying this, you are picking some difficult subjects and are most likely a smart kid, so I'm sure its very doable for you. But remember, its not as easy as everyone says.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
+1

But I'd argue that a small amount of it isn't pointless; there are some important concepts taught in yr 11 like diffusion-osmosis, deets on body systems etc., but then again they could condense that stuff into 1 week's worth of class time and save everyone the hassle of an entire. fucking. year.

sleepybearx

HSC
Don't be perceived with Legal Studies. I was told that it was a very easy subject and that it was not difficult to get a band 6.
Whilst some of this is true, (the content is very easy to understand) there is A LOT to learn. There is also limited band 6's.
I go to an affluent school which prides itself on doing well, but even here, last years results produced only 5 or 6 band 6's from 40-45 students.
Saying this, you are picking some difficult subjects and are most likely a smart kid, so I'm sure its very doable for you. But remember, its not as easy as everyone says.
How is the legal studies scaling compared to other subjects e.g. business studies, biology, physics.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Is it true Modern History scales higher than Legal!? :S
Just following this up. It will change from year to year, although you should note that modern history does scale better then legal. However, please don't make that your criteria in choosing subjects for 2013.

sleepybearx

HSC
OKAY THE FINAL LIST OF SUBJECTS IS GOING TO BE DUE VERY SOON FOR MY SCHOOL and I have decided:
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Advanced English
SOR 1
Math EXT 1

I figured that legal wasn't right for me and wasn't essentially required much and + didn't have great scaling.
I chose physics because it seemed interesting, although I did not enjoy it in year 9 and 10 I think If I can find a good tutor I'll be fine. And also physics opens many doors to different degrees/courses. (I believe)

any opinions, recommendations, tips, advice, objections! e.g. workload, stress, interest, studying etc.
please let me know what you think!! :)

Thief

!!
HSC
OKAY THE FINAL LIST OF SUBJECTS IS GOING TO BE DUE VERY SOON FOR MY SCHOOL and I have decided:
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Advanced English
SOR 1
Math EXT 1

I figured that legal wasn't right for me and wasn't essentially required much and + didn't have great scaling.
I chose physics because it seemed interesting, although I did not enjoy it in year 9 and 10 I think If I can find a good tutor I'll be fine. And also physics opens many doors to different degrees/courses. (I believe)

any opinions, recommendations, tips, advice, objections! e.g. workload, stress, interest, studying etc.
please let me know what you think!! :)
Looking good! Quite similar to mine actually, just switch the eco for modern.

I'm disliking physics quite a bit though :p will probably drop it in yr12 (im in yr11 right now).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Best of luck with Economics.

It's an awesome subject.

russ3l

HSC
Seems alright. I have:

3U Mathematics
3U English
Economics
Physics
Chemistry
pretty much the same as mine if I take out sor and music :p I though you were considering latin...and legal studies...

russ3l

HSC
Seems alright. I have:

3U Mathematics
3U English
Economics
Physics
Chemistry
seems like you've chosen the highest scaling subjects

Just following this up. It will change from year to year, although you should note that modern history does scale better then legal. However, please don't make that your criteria in choosing subjects for 2013.
hmmm....

mirakon

nigga
HSC
not necessarily his criteria, maybe he has a genuine interest in those subjects

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
seems like you've chosen the highest scaling subjects

hmmm....
They do seem on simple inspection, very high scaling, but these are in actual fact the subjects which I intend to choose and do over other subjects purely due to my interest in them. I may choose Latin, although it may not happen as I am finding myself quiet challenged to choose my 'best' subjects which I believe I will enjoy and do well at.

sleepybearx

HSC
Also, Is it recommended to do ext-1 instead of advanced english? My tutor teacher said I should do ext-1 instead of advanced because It only had 2 extra texts...? Any thoughts.
P.s. I'm not very confident at english but i'm alright...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)