Subject Selections for year 11?! (2 Viewers)

Thief

!!
HSC
3U Mathematics
3U English
Economics
Physics
Chemistry
SOR 1
= 13 units

just wondering... for year 12 which subject should i drop.
even though it's a bit early, but it's good to know beforehand.
I know it's based on my own interests, but personally, if you had to drop one to make... let's say 11 units. which would you drop?
just wanted to see the majority's consensus.
A fair few people drop ext english and pick up 4u maths.

I would personally drop physics, thats my worst.

But you might come to change your mind during the school year - I know I sure did, I originally was going to keep Physics and drop modern history, but I really ended up not liking Physics (and the teacher).

So there's really no need to consider what you want to drop now :) Just see how you go next year.

Fawun

Queen
HSC
Then obviously it'll be better in the long run for you to choose a social science like Business Studies or Economics (if you are more interested in things like business, commerce, etc.)

I'm an example of a person who chose Business Studies over Chemistry due to the fact that I knew my strengths lie in Social Science.
but shouldn't I do a science subject since i'm good at it? My sister said that I should do French and a science subject since i'm good at them even though I hate them. I'm most likely going to take you're advice though so thanks.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
but shouldn't I do a science subject since i'm good at it? My sister said that I should do French and a science subject since i'm good at them even though I hate them. I'm most likely going to take you're advice though so thanks.
Well, if you're good at Chemistry and have a passion for it then choose it.

Many people will encounter the problem of: Strengths vs Passion

Pretend you were strong in Chemistry but had barely any passion for it while you were decent in Business Studies but had heaps of passion for it, you'll probably be faced with a tough choice.

Even though people say 'Don't pick subjects solely based on scaling', you'll tend to see many people choose the higher scaling subject in this case because they want to maximise ATAR. In the short run, strengths > passion but in the long run, passion > strengths because if you are pasisonate, you'll tend to put more dedication in the long term. HOWEVER, there are always exceptions to this generalisation so yeah... People's passions may change (you might become passionate about Chemistry later down the track) but then again, you might end up hating it even more... It's a risky gamble in a sense.

You always need to consider the three factors of Strengths, Passion and Scaling altogether (evenly) to make the best decision.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
unsw? however... I'm still unsure. I'm picking mainly the science subjects.
wait, why do you wanna do comm/law? where do your strengths lie and are you definitely sure that picking phys, chem and eco is your best choice regarding that?

meaganxo

HSC
I just entered my selections with the Vice Principle.

English Adv
English Ext
Ancient History
Modern History
Visual Arts
Legal Studies
French Continuers.

It feels so overwhelming! >.<
Ca va mal.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I just entered my selections with the Vice Principle.

English Adv
English Ext
Ancient History
Modern History
Visual Arts
Legal Studies
French Continuers.

It feels so overwhelming! >.<
Ca va mal.
Once you start, you'll find that it isn't too bad.

Much of the pressure is built up because of perceptions which suggest that the senior years are the be all and end all. The progression of difficulty from Year 10 to Year 11 & 12 is fairly straightforward. As long as you have maintained a solid work ethic, you will be fine.

sleepybearx

HSC
wait, why do you wanna do comm/law? where do your strengths lie and are you definitely sure that picking phys, chem and eco is your best choice regarding that?
I don't know what to pick anymore @__@
I heard from others that physics was not that bad and that legal is hard due to reading and so on...so I was torn between those two. Even though originally I didn't want to pick physics because I didn't do well in it in year 9 and I thought that physics was too technical. But I don't know :(

I don't even know if the subjects I'm picking are suitable for me... well the main thing is the workload which is what I'm most afraid of.

enoilgam

HSC
I heard from others that physics was not that bad and that legal is hard due to reading and so on...so I was torn between those two. Even though originally I didn't want to pick physics because I didn't do well in it in year 9 and I thought that physics was too technical. But I don't know :(

I don't even know if the subjects I'm picking are suitable for me... well the main thing is the workload which is what I'm most afraid of.
What do you feel most comfortable with? I wasnt very good at the physics topics in junior high school and looking through the syllabus and some textbooks I knew the subject wasnt for me. Legal isnt very heavy in the reading department - the content is mostly straight forward its just applying on tests (i.e. with essays) that is the difficult part.

Maybe you need to do more research - go through the syllabus for both legal and physics like I did and see what appeals to you more.

sleepybearx

HSC
ended up picking

13 units:

Physics
Chemistry
Economics
SOR1
Ext1 english
Ext1 math

HSC
Uni Grad

I didn't find legal studies that hard, as a lot of it was very rote-learnable; the same sort of stuff just appears again and again and again. I didn't study a lot of the stuff and ended up with 1 mark below band 6 QQ.
There is a lot of content for legal studies, but tbh, you don't even need to learn all of it. HECK, I didn't even touch world order and I only wrote essays for it. Then in other sections of crime, human rights and the options topics, so much content was rather untouched.

I personally hated physics because it was too much of a writing subject that had no relevance to university studies. I ended up dropping it after the half yearlies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)