SUBJECT SELECTIONS (1 Viewer)

dumNerd

HSC
Hey, so im basically in year 11 and I have to pick my subjects for next year. I'm thinking:
-Maths Extension 2
-English Advanced
-Biology
-Chemistry

Everyone is saying that 10 units is risky, and I have always like commerce (business studies side) so I was wondering if I should take business studies as a backup plan. If so how much time would I have to spend doing it?

hschelper01

HSC
Hey, so im basically in year 11 and I have to pick my subjects for next year. I'm thinking:
-Maths Extension 2
-English Advanced
-Biology
-Chemistry

Everyone is saying that 10 units is risky, and I have always like commerce (business studies side) so I was wondering if I should take business studies as a backup plan. If so how much time would I have to spend doing it?
It all depends on how you're performing - if you're doing really well - then no, just focus on these subjects (^^) and work hard to get the best mark you can. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend doing an extra 2 units and it'll help in the long run (especially if you're struggling with a certain subject at the moment)...

Hope it helps!

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
-Maths Extension 2
-English Advanced
-Biology
-Chemistry

Also may I just add, it's always possible to drop business studies in year 12 but you can not pick it up, so the safer option is to take twelve units and then if you find out your doing really well in your other subjects and business studies takes up too much time then you can drop it.

It's up to you anyway if your very confident in your abilities to do well in your other subjects then staying with 10 units should be okay. I would recommend you to start with 12 though.

quickoats

HSC
I think it’s good to start with 12 units especially with 4U maths, in case you have the need to drop it later. Further into the year, you can make a decision depending on your preference, if you find yourself just bored/can’t be bothered doing a subject (I know I did nothing in SOR and didn’t do well - big waste of time)

dumNerd

HSC
It all depends on how you're performing - if you're doing really well - then no, just focus on these subjects (^^) and work hard to get the best mark you can. Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend doing an extra 2 units and it'll help in the long run (especially if you're struggling with a certain subject at the moment)...

Hope it helps!
Thanks, helped a lot. I see you did legal studies was that a lot of work?

dumNerd

HSC
I think it’s good to start with 12 units especially with 4U maths, in case you have the need to drop it later. Further into the year, you can make a decision depending on your preference, if you find yourself just bored/can’t be bothered doing a subject (I know I did nothing in SOR and didn’t do well - big waste of time)
Thanks, around how much time did you spend on 4U maths? And do you have any idea how much time would be spent on legal studies or business studies?

quickoats

HSC
Thanks, around how much time did you spend on 4U maths? And do you have any idea how much time would be spent on legal studies or business studies?
I spent a decent time on 4u but didn’t overdo it, just practicing questions and all that... not really sure how I did so well, but I really enjoyed the subject so that motivated to keep me going.

Never did legal or biz, but afaik legal is similar to econ in terms of content load... probs best to keep up and make sure you don’t fall behind cos there’s so much content.

business is a lot breezier (similar to society and culture) and ik many people who didn’t really care about it who ended up with band 6s

Good luck!

dumNerd

HSC
I spent a decent time on 4u but didn’t overdo it, just practicing questions and all that... not really sure how I did so well, but I really enjoyed the subject so that motivated to keep me going.

Never did legal or biz, but afaik legal is similar to econ in terms of content load... probs best to keep up and make sure you don’t fall behind cos there’s so much content.

business is a lot breezier (similar to society and culture) and ik many people who didn’t really care about it who ended up with band 6s

Good luck!
Thanks

idkkdi

HSC

Good luck!
The content load in humanities subjects is nothing. You can read through a 500 page textbook like a storybook. On the other hand, try reading through a math textbook like a storybook.

I have barely any respect for business studies as a course, but I would not assume that legal isn't just as easy and that society and culture is comparable. Business studies content should honestly be about as chunky as econ, considering that the test formats are exactly the same, albeit maybe not as challenging as econ.

-Maths Extension 2
-English Advanced
-Biology
-Chemistry

Honestly take triple science. Will be a life-changing experience to do 3 depth studies in the span of two weeks along with other exams. If you take business as a backup plan, prepare to sleep on your book while trying to grind out pages.

dumNerd

HSC
The content load in humanities subjects is nothing. You can read through a 500 page textbook like a storybook. On the other hand, try reading through a math textbook like a storybook.

I have barely any respect for business studies as a course, but I would not assume that legal isn't just as easy and that society and culture is comparable. Business studies content should honestly be about as chunky as econ, considering that the test formats are exactly the same, albeit maybe not as challenging as econ.

Honestly take triple science. Will be a life-changing experience to do 3 depth studies in the span of two weeks along with other exams. If you take business as a backup plan, prepare to sleep on your book while trying to grind out pages.
Like i am really (preety) good at maths, but I just find it so hard to understand concepts in physics. Also a bit confused so you think that business is gonna be a lot of work?

idkkdi

HSC
Like i am really (preety) good at maths, but I just find it so hard to understand concepts in physics. Also a bit confused so you think that business is gonna be a lot of work?
No. Business is a pain in the ass. Boring content, especially Marketing and HR. Maybe rack your brain twice in Finance module. Operations is straightforward enough. The bible in business is the syllabus. The expansion of that bible is the textbook. The bible needs to be memorised. The expansion needs to be read/repetitively read.

Course is free marks for people who have good memory and can string together good essays.

As for physics. At least you're using your brain. If you can't understand something, then just read it again and again and again. Doesn't click? Watch video and video and video. Sooner or later you will understand it.

idkkdi

HSC
No. Business is a pain in the ass. Boring content, especially Marketing and HR. Maybe rack your brain twice in Finance module. Operations is straightforward enough. The bible in business is the syllabus. The expansion of that bible is the textbook. The bible needs to be memorised. The expansion needs to be read/repetitively read.

Course is free marks for people who have good memory and can string together good essays.

As for physics. At least you're using your brain. If you can't understand something, then just read it again and again and again. Doesn't click? Watch video and video and video. Sooner or later you will understand it.
To be fair though, Business Studies in yr 12 is more interesting than in yr 11, albeit the part where you try to maximise your marks by memorising directives, syllabus and maybe the textbook.

But then again, in the prelim course, you're carried forward by this thought of "learning this content will help me make the MEGA bucks in the future". This mantra gets less strong over time.

Summary:
Business studies - then possible keep/drop if want big atar
Triple sci - if you want to have no life, get decimated, possibly get lower atar than you would have otherwise got, but omega brain post hsc.
- possible drop

dumNerd

HSC
To be fair though, Business Studies in yr 12 is more interesting than in yr 11, albeit the part where you try to maximise your marks by memorising directives, syllabus and maybe the textbook.

But then again, in the prelim course, you're carried forward by this thought of "learning this content will help me make the MEGA bucks in the future". This mantra gets less strong over time.
wait i am not sure cos I havent really compared. I can memorise around 8 pages of solid information about biology/chemistry in around 30 minutes is that good?

quickoats

HSC
Same boat here! Good at maths, rubbish at physics (but I was a pretty lazy student so...). The concepts, especially in the non kinematics/dynamics stuff can get confusing.

What do you plan on studying in uni? That might point you in the right direction.

dumNerd

HSC
Same boat here! Good at maths, rubbish at physics (but I was a pretty lazy student so...). The concepts, especially in the non kinematics/dynamics stuff can get confusing.

What do you plan on studying in uni? That might point you in the right direction.
literally been wanting to go into med since I was little no joke

dumNerd

HSC

BUT DAMNNNNN 99 ATAR YOU DID WELL!!!

idkkdi

HSC
wait i am not sure cos I havent really compared. I can memorise around 8 pages of solid information about biology/chemistry in around 30 minutes is that good?
I don't know how to compare, nor am I bothered to know details. You should already roughly know how good your memory is with relation to your classmates. If crap memory, then just read it more.

My bets on med.

EDIT: Oh dam, I was right.

quickoats

HSC
literally been wanting to go into med since I was little no joke
Might be useful to take up physics, as it’s probably useful for other allied health health degrees like optom and radiography if med doesn’t work out.

Depends on your abilities but keep in mind that UCAT is very important. Doing a high scaling combination of subjects might give you a bit of a boost but making sure that you smash your UCAT is wayy more beneficial than a marginal ATAR increase.

And if you’re aspiring to do medicine, please apply to every university possible (within your means -i.e. don’t bother with Bond if your family can’t afford it). It’s actually kinda common for people to gun for UNSW/USyd med and refuse to apply for the “less prestigious” unis like WSU and UNE. If your heart is truly in medicine, then it doesn’t matter if you study at WSU/CSU/UNE/UoN or USyd, and it doesn’t matter that it’s called a BMed, MD, MBBS or MBChB (degree packaging and nomenclature mean nothing). It’s good to see that you have a big goal so go for it and good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)