Subjects for HSC!! (1 Viewer)

Should I Take A Science For It's Scaling Benefits?

• Yes, it will really help boost your ATAR

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • No, it's not worth it, keep your subject selections

Votes: 16 69.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Becca24

HSC
Hey everyone! :)
I'd just like to get some advice about whether or not i should take a science for the hsc, because of its scaling benefits.
This is what i'm planning on doing;
English 3 or 4U
French Cont.
Legal Studies
Modern History
Society and Culture

I am aware that apart from English, all my other subject choices pretty much dont scale well at all. Also, if you're recommending me take a science, which subject should i swap it with? Thanks in advance for you help :)

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
depends... are you good at science? If not u're better sticking with subjects u can ace :)

Becca24

HSC
@alex, french cont.
and im not great at science, but not terrible. so i guess closer to average. with some effort put in i could be above average im thinking

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Don't choose a subject for its scaling alone. If you don't enjoy a subject you won't put the effort in and any scaling benefit will be lost. You can get a 99.95 with that combination of subjects if you do really well in them. You don't need Sciences to get the top ATARs.

As you also have no Maths it would seem that you are very much a humanities person so go with your strengths.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
Wow, you're going to be doing the HSC in my year (2014) Well then, consider what subjects you enjoy for starters because there's not much point doing a subject which you don't enjoy as you won't find motivation. Consider if you're a maths or science person and if so, I would definitely recommend doing at least 2U maths or a science subject such as chemistry but that is totally up to you. Relax, we've still got like 2-3 terms before we choose our subjects for yr 11. :D

nazfiz

HSC
You could do biology seeing how your not terrible at science. And bio is just simple rote learning to an extent. But in the end it depends if your confident with science. I would recommend looking at the syllabuses for the sciences for yr11 and 12 and see if your confident at learning those concepts.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol English 4U and French Cont scale well. Modern scales decently too, better than ancient and I think best out of HSIE other than economics obviously.
SAC and Legal aren't that great, but it you can perform in them. Just bare in mind SAC is another major work, in addition to your EE2 major work. Something to consider.

If those are the subjects you are best at and want to do, you can get 99.95 with them if you wish heh.

alexwareham2

HSC
I would say that unless you will get 85+ in Chem or Physics or probably 90+ in Bio then it is pointless.
Although French is a ton of work, and if you do Ext 2 and SAC that is a lot of major works, plus learning a language which is super tome consuming.

Becca24

HSC
Just bare in mind SAC is another major work, in addition to your EE2 major work. Something to consider.
Yeah i thought about the combination of SAC and EE2, but i wouldnt have any idea what to do other than SAC since i've decided that i'm definitely not doing any maths! haha.

Becca24

HSC
thanks to everyone that's taken the time to reply as well. really appreciate the advice :)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I do not recommend doing anything which you do not enjoy!

I did:

English Extension I
Maths Extension I
Studies of Religion I
Legal Studies
Ancient History

and I got an ATAR high enough to get into Combined Law at USyd (The cut off for 2012 was 99.70)

Never do a subject just because you think it scales well! Humanities are scaling not too bad these days either.

I highly recommend you do subjects which you enjoy. Legal and Modern are great courses and you should not drop them!

delian

HSC
N/A
Definitely do a subject only if you are interested somewhat in it.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Do not choose a subject for how well it scales! If you don't like it, then you'll probably do worse than you would with a subject you enjoy. I chose all my subjects based upon how much I enjoy them; maths extension, biology, chemistry and geography. If you like a subject, you'll make much more of an effort to study it!

Autonomatic

HSC
N/A
Scaling isn't always advantageous. Your decision in this case should be dependent on whether you enjoy the subjects or not, keeping in mind that the current subjects that you have do not much relation to science in general. Consult more your career advisor if you must: they should give you more information on how the scaling system works. The bottom line is that YOU should make the final decision based on your competence around the sciences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)