subjects for year 11 but confused with some? (1 Viewer)

atrocityx

HSC
heyy everyone, ive chosen my year 11 subjects and a career path i want to do :)
but i need your opinion about some of the subjects that im not sure of to do or not , what do you think of the subjects ive chosen.

for example, lets just say Biology - you have to memorise alot and theres alot of info

something along those lines, so i could prepare myself and rethink more thoroughly of the subjects ive chosen

so heres my year 11 subjects

- Biology (2u)
- Chemistry (im worried about chemistry.. T_T") (2u)
- English Standard (2u)
- Mathematics 2U
- Japanese Beginners (2u)
- Hospitality (?)

im aiming to go to Uni @ UTS with a course in
Forensic Biology in Biomedical Science
so yeah :]

Last edited:

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
I think they are great choices. But why are you worried about Chemistry?

atrocityx

HSC
nerdsforever said:
I think they are great choices. But why are you worried about Chemistry?
okay, well the career path i want to go into needs chemistry but i dont know if i would do well in it cause i kinda suck @ chemical stuff but i want to choose it as well... i dont know i have like mixed emotions deiciding if i should choose

lilymaree

Boreddd :o
HSC
Well, in bio you want to hope for a good teacher! I ended up dropping bio because our teacher didnt help us at all, and knew hardly anything about the course!

English Standard is pretty good, you just need to remember the techniques!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
atrocityx said:
but i need your opinion about some of the subjects that im not sure of to do or not , what do you think of the subjects ive chosen.

for example, lets just say Biology - you have to memorise alot and theres alot of info

something along those lines, so i could prepare myself and rethink more thoroughly of the subjects ive chosen

- Biology (2u)
- English Standard (2u)
- Mathematics 2U
- Hospitality (?)

Biology - tonnes of contents which are generally straightforward and simple. However, there are areas of Biology that get stressed regularly. (e.g. surface area to volume ratio gets mentioned every time you move onto different topics, it's a very important concept).

Chemistry - much less contents than Biology. However, the concepts need to be understood before they are memorised. They are much more difficult than Biology but it's a very interesting subject in my opinion.

Mathematics - I think you know what you are going to expect.

When it comes down to final decision, it is you who need to take the full responsibility.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
atrocityx said:
okay, well the career path i want to go into needs chemistry but i dont know if i would do well in it cause i kinda suck @ chemical stuff but i want to choose it as well... i dont know i have like mixed emotions deiciding if i should choose
I suck at Chemistry as well but it is neccessary for my future career :D I'm heading for Medicine. You should just try Chemistry and if you dont like it or perform badly at it, then you could drop it in Year 12.
Apparatenyl its quite a hard subject. Head teacher said that some people that get 55% in science year 10 exams end up getting 30% in year 11. Hence the cut off mark in my school for Chemistry is 60%.

As for your other subjects, try to choose subjects that you know you will enjoy. The HSC is about putting your strengths together to maximise your uai. With some courses that may help you for your future career but you dont like or wont do well in, you dont have to do it.

My opinion about your courses:

- Biology: quite a good choice, because I heard it was one of the easiest sciences
- Chemistry: quite difficult but not as difficult as Physics. You will need a strong Maths background. Recommended to do 2 unit maths with this course.
- English Standard: Why not try out for Advanced? I heard that only a few people in the whole state get band 6 from doing Standard
- Mathematics: Good choice.
- Japanese Beginners: Heard it was really hard, but it doesnt hurt to learn another language
- Hospitality: If you enjoy it, then do it

have you thought about what you are going to do if you dont get into Forensic Biology?

atrocityx

HSC
nerdsforever said:

have you thought about what you are going to do if you dont get into Forensic Biology?
yeah, i probably do marine biology

agirlinatutu

Im just not ready...
HSC
atrocityx said:

- Biology (2u)
- English Standard (2u)
- Mathematics 2U
- Hospitality (?)

I think you have a good selection of subjects, but the big question are you happy and comfortable with them? Year 11 is a big jump anyway, so your subjects are naturally going to get harder. As long as you are willing to put in the effort you'll do well.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
id put pdhpe in there somewhere if thats what you want to do at uni

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)