Subjects (1 Viewer)

kkyle

HSC
I'm entering the HSC year and have 13 units. I don't whether to keep them all or drop all my history subjects all together and focus on maths and my sciences. Should I wait for my first test results and then decide?

Jaylee42003

HSC
If you think you can handle the work load, then keep all of them. That way you have more "back up units" if you don't do as well in the HSC as you might have liked to, therefore allowing "breathing room" for your marks. Think about it; you drop down to 12 or 11 units, excluding English, you will only have 1-2 units back up in case you do really terrible in one subject. If you get me.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
i'd say opposite. drop. a friend tried to do 13 units, and it stretched them way to thin. the less units you do the more you can focus on them, and relax, you know have a life during the hsc (odd concept i know).

Brontecat

HSC
^_^ +1

I would try to get down to about 12. Most of your subjects look really demanding and you probably don't want to feel like ur just scraping through all the subjects & if you drop you'll probs be able to to go beyond scraping in all of them.

Again, just my opinion, but u really need to think about your capabilities, whether you have the time or other commitments (sport, job) & whether or not you want to spend so much time on school alone (at risk of burning out etc.)

kushna

HSC
History Extension is a lot of hard work for only one unit. If anything, I'd drop that. I'm pretty sure it doesn't scale that well (at least, when I put in a mark of 45 into SAM, it still doesn't count towards my UAI). You could try keeping everything and see how you handle each subject and the workload, then drop it sometime during the year. I would also recommend keeping 12 units if you can handle the workload.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
You should wait til at least the 1st term exams. I have 14 units and I'm not planning on dropping any subjects till half yearlies, if ANY. Ideally, I'd keep them all. Having too few units means extra pressure on every exam. Not to mention the risk you're taking. It could be the year that the BOS decides to fuck with us in the English exam. And besides, the workload isn't that much more difficult - it just requires good time management.

Last edited:

kkyle

HSC
I've looked into History Extension's scaling and I can't get it to effect my potential ATAR with SAM unless I score really well and bad in either Physics/Chem. I don't think I'm going to score very high in Modern so keeping it seems like a waste as well as History Extension if it won't go towards my ATAR in the end.

Freeing up time will, as said above, give me much more time and allow me to relax which I think will help me with my studies and eventually exams when they come round. At the moment I'm leaning towards dropping the history's. But I'll wait until term 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)