Sublime in Blade runner (1 Viewer)

M@ster P

HSC
Hi guys I need help on how the sublime is used in Blade runner.

The definition for Sublime is "that sublime refers to the effect of nature on the human - the beauty or terror of the scene creates a sense of awe in the observer".

Ok so i kinda get the definition of sublime, but the problem for me is like how to write about sublime in relation to Blade Runner. For example in the opening scene where theres a pan shot of Los Angeles in 2019, theres a distinct lack of nature and fire, it looks like hell. So to write about Sublime can I say that the opening scene creates a feeling of fear and negativity and this is shown by the "technique.....................". Is that how I suppose to descibe the sublime?
Also in the scene of the Tyrell corporation, where it showns the astronomical size, how would i describe the sublime in that? I know its huge and creates a sense of awe + the use of music shows this as well but how does this relate to the sublime?

bored of sc

HSC
Hi guys I need help on how the sublime is used in Blade runner.

The definition for Sublime is "that sublime refers to the effect of nature on the human - the beauty or terror of the scene creates a sense of awe in the observer".

Ok so i kinda get the definition of sublime, but the problem for me is like how to write about sublime in relation to Blade Runner. For example in the opening scene where theres a pan shot of Los Angeles in 2019, theres a distinct lack of nature and fire, it looks like hell. So to write about Sublime can I say that the opening scene creates a feeling of fear and negativity and this is shown by the "technique.....................". Is that how I suppose to descibe the sublime?
Also in the scene of the Tyrell corporation, where it showns the astronomical size, how would i describe the sublime in that? I know its huge and creates a sense of awe + the use of music shows this as well but how does this relate to the sublime?
Nature is undercut by the dominance of technology in Scott's science fiction film Bladerunner. However a few examples of the natural environment could be the rain (e.g. when Deckard is in the streets of LA), the sunset (e.g. during the initial Tyrell Corporation scene) and the night sky (opening sequences). By showing minimal amounts of nature we develop wonder and perhaps regret for letting technology override the splendour of the natural world. We also feel fear as the claustrophobia of the technology and industrialisation overpowers our sense of sight.

I would still call some of the images in Bladerunner aesthetically pleasing due to the colours and positioning of objects and backgrounds. We find ourselves looking for the last fragments of nature left within a world of buildings, transport and exploding industry. Nature, in this sense, is a source of hope.

Does that answer your question/clear things up?

You could further develop the fear V hope, technology V nature binary oppositions. It's quite interesting.

Last edited:

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Remember- the sublime doesn't have to refer to nature, it can simply be something that inspires awe.

This is a great point to contrast the two texts on, in Frankenstein the sublime is represented in the natural world (there are heaps of quotes from the monster and also when Victor flees into the Alps).

In BR, as it is a world of social decay, environmental degradation and pollution the sublime is represented in the built, or human world rather than through nature. The low-angle establishing shot of the opulent temple-like building of the Tyrell Corporation is a perfect example of this.

Also the replicants are awe inspiring, their size, appearence and power make them both enticing to humans but deadly- they are a modern day reflection of what nature was in Frankenstein. (there are heaps of quotes about the POWER of nature in the text).

Sorry I am a little off on this point because I didn't use it in my final essay on this module.

reboulle

HSC
Something that is ironic here is the sublime referring to nature- in Blade Runner there is none.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)