Subtitles a good thing or bad? (1 Viewer)

sifnotme

HSC
Is watching things in different languages example LOTE television programs with SUBTITLES beneficial?

Because my teacher said it isnt purely because you tend to read it instead of listening to it, however,

what happens if you dont know certain words or alot words (technical terms) or they speak too fast, thats where subtitles come in :D

Also if you listen and read at the same time dont you develop a sense where you recognise the sounds and able to comprehend the meaning because you have seen it + heard it before. So its like having an imaginary subtitle under your own conversation :eek:

irnirn

HSC
I like subtitles. Specially when the surrounding is noisy, it really helps!

rorararavv

HSC
i've found watching films with subtitles in the same language as is being spoken extremely beneficial.
if you already have an ok grasp of the language, you pick up heaps more by listening to and reading the words at the same time.

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Subtitles are good, especially if you can get them in the original language. Of course, translations are easier when they're in English, but sometimes subbers bend the meanings of words ;)

binary star

HSC
I reckon its beneficial. You just got to make sure you're actually learning the language instead of following the subs.

rainnwind

HSC
whether it's 1st-3rd language i prefer subtitles...
but if i have time & the video i'm watching is not that long (e.g. drama) i will watch it twice, once with and once without subs...

appl3licious

HSC
In my opinion, subtitles do help especially when u're watching a foreign movie

evilelmo_2005

HSC
Subtitles help but if u rely on too much it's like not learning anything, so it's good if u find a word that u don't understand so that u check the sub to know the meaning so that u might understand

xxstef

languages are my world <3
HSC
I tend to end up reading the subtitles even if I can understand a fair bit of the foreign language, which is bad. I don't really like subtitles if my fluency level is reasonable enough to make sense of most of the dialogue, as I find it is just distracting.

HSC
It can help with the interpretation of what is being spoken in a foreign language, but although it can be sometimes a-bit inaccurate though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)