Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

je_ne_sais_pas

HSC
N/A
Yes, you're right about sparkes. They are not offering Clerkships- that's a pity bc they offered all last years clerks a grad position. They must be struggling more than the let on.

dichotomy101

HSC
Yes, you're right about sparkes. They are not offering Clerkships- that's a pity bc they offered all last years clerks a grad position. They must be struggling more than the let on.
I'm family friends with a woman who works in HR in Sparkes - they actually are taking clerks this year, but haven't done the formal process because;

1. They've been able to recruit the people they want from their paralegal law students
2. Obviously GFC reasons, they're not taking as many grads therefore don't need as many clerks
3. They've recruited an unusually high number of grads at unusual times throughout the clear, so simply can't accommodate the same number of clerks and grads.

Apparently they'll restart their formal program next year, but the answer is they will have summer clerks this year.

tanubi

HSC
Have mine today LA88. A bit nervous! A friend did his on Tuesday, said it was interesting. Luckily didn't focus too much on "commercial awareness".

jake1987

HSC
I have the BD workshop next week. I'm a little nervous because I've never done something like that before - bit hard to see how they're really gonna assess us. Does anyone know how many people they invited for that?

I'm hoping (key work, 'hoping') that they've already done most of their 'culling' during the first round interviews and the workshop is simply to make sure you can cooperate with other people when working (ie. weeding out only a few more people).

But that's just my take on it...

tanubi

HSC
Jake - there were 11 people in my group. They split you into smaller groups. It wasn't too bad, was actually quite interesting and definitely very different from your average second-round!

jake1987

HSC
thanks for the heads up tanubi.

In my mind its a numbers game - from what you said, i'm guessing they invited approx 44 ppl (looking to recruit 30 - they're bound to make more than 30 offers). So i guess they're just weeding out the final few in the the second round.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
melsc, have you heard from Slater and Gordon yet?
I haven't, I've got a feeling that it means no as I am pretty sure they were planning on having second round interviews this week. That said, I haven't heard back from them since notifying them of the email they send out confirming the interview I had already had and they told me that they would let us know soon. I also emailed them on Friday to finout if no call/email meant no second round interview but haven't heard back...Has anyone else, I knw of at least one other BOSer who had an interview with them!

If its no to them then my only shot is Lander and Rogers and they are notifying on the same day as the official scheme, they are having 25 interviews for 3-4 positions!

kate1986

HSC
I interviewed with S&G too. I was told there are no 2nd rounds melsc.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I interviewed with S&G too. I was told there are no 2nd rounds melsc.
Thats so weird, when was your interview? They told me there was a second round but they seemed confused. HR has told me that they would notify of second rounder interviews but that was 2 weeks ago. I believe they will be notifying of offers in accordance with the official scheme i.e. 9th Oct...

If that's the case I am in the running for Lander and Rogers and S&G

kate1986

HSC
Mine was on the 11th. To be quite honest, with their late replies, emails confirming interviews after the interview has actually taken place etc, I don't really think they know what they're doing! If they are doing 2nd rounds, I haven't heard anything so I would say you're still in the race!

kate1986

HSC
From memory, they are only taking a couple unfortunately. But I haven't heard of many people getting interviews so the odds are quite good. Good luck with Lander and Rogers - from your previous posts you seem incredibly dedicated so I'm sure you'll do well!

MochiGirl15

HSC
A bit late, but a few weekes ago I had my Dibbs Barker 1st round interview. Gotta say it was quite disappointing. The partner I had the interview with was one of the most unfriendly or cold interviewees I can remember. The questions asked were fine but the atmosphere was definitely unwelcoming. They also made sure at the end of the interview when I was 'given an opportunity' to ask questions that the interviews were booked in for 1/2 hour slots and that I should make it quick because they have to prepare for the next person. Basically they had a quite a few questions to ask and they just kept firing them away like it was a timed test situation. Definitely not a 2 way street.

They took 21/70 into the 2nd round, with about 4-6 clerkship positions. I had already accepted an offer with another firm and didn't want to imagine what the 2nd interview would be like so I opted out.

I'm sure they are a great firm and the other associate that was also at the interview was quite friendly, probably just not my cup of tea.

Did anyone else have a more pleasant experience? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)