Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

jake1987

HSC
I was wondering about the hours you'll be expected to put in. Did any of the firms give you guys a clear idea of what a normal working week is expected to be?

I'm going to be applying for these clerkships next year, but have other commitments and can't work any more than a 50 hour week, so am wondering if I'm wasting my time....
I think it also depends what practice group you end up working in. I've heard that transaction-based groups (eg. M&A and Banking & Finance) are quite intense during deal times. Advisory-based groups such as tax have more consistent hours. Whilst, litigation is intense pretty much all the time.

But then again, this really only applies when your actually working there. As a summer clerk, I don't think they'd expect you to pull too many late nights.

subdued123

HSC
don't worry guys, you'll be working 9-5 pretty much as summer clerks.

Summer clerkships are not really designed to give you the real taste of life in a corporate law firm. If it were realistic, no-one would want to stay.

That being said, colleagues who have clerked at inv. banks say they do crazy hours, even as summer clerks/vaccies.

But for now, enjoy the experience.

And good luck all for Friday.

*one final thing about hours: you do work hard, but not many things in life come easily. You will get punished, but if you can prove yourself at a large law firm, you can do many things. So don't be afraid of hard work. It is a two way street, but many people forget that. There aren't too many industries where, if you work in them for about 10-15 years, you get invited to join a business where you will literally get a million a year. Of course, you could go it alone and develop that entrepreneurial spirit, but the success stories are outweighed by the failures. Your choice.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
*one final thing about hours: you do work hard, but not many things in life come easily. You will get punished, but if you can prove yourself at a large law firm, you can do many things. So don't be afraid of hard work. It is a two way street, but many people forget that. There aren't too many industries where, if you work in them for about 10-15 years, you get invited to join a business where you will literally get a million a year. Of course, you could go it alone and develop that entrepreneurial spirit, but the success stories are outweighed by the failures. Your choice.
My friend, forgive me for saying so, but you seem to suggest that hard work is commensurate with success and partnership. While I don't disagree that there is a strong causal link between them, the relationship is not as simple as due diligence for 10-15 years equals make partner equals make a million. Besides, not all partners in top tier firms make a million; most newly promoted partners earn $300K or so, according to AFR a few weeks ago. By the time you've been in a profession for 10 years, $300K is not that lofty a goal.

Of course, the above only applies if someone does make partner, the odds of which are between 1 in every 5 and 1 in every 10 starting grads (a lovely concept our beloved partners term "leverage"). For every partner, there are plenty of people who leave to go inhouse, join the Bar, government and business.

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I suspect you're out of luck for a position in a top-tier firm then.
Yeah, you're confirming what I'm already thinking. It's just killing me thinking about all the hard work it's taken to get my HDs only to realise I can't actually commit to the workload of the actual job itself. Makes my student awards seem a bit pointless if I'm going to be applying bottom tier anyway.

Oh, and it's not that I don't want to work the hours. Just can't justify it with a young child.....

Anyways, thanks for the replies and good luck with your applications.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I had a cocktail night at Landers and Rogers last night and I really liked the sounds of the people and the place. Sounded like a cool place to work, they were really nice and committed to looking for good clerks, they even put a girl up in a hotel for the night just so she could make the cocktail night! Better still they've uped it from 3-4clerks to possible 5, so the odds of 1 in 5 arent too bad. Unfortunately its made me want the position even more, tomorrow can't come soon enough!

Best of luck everyone!
(I hope it doesn't get too stressful)

Yeah, you're confirming what I'm already thinking. It's just killing me thinking about all the hard work it's taken to get my HDs only to realise I can't actually commit to the workload of the actual job itself. Makes my student awards seem a bit pointless if I'm going to be applying bottom tier anyway.

Oh, and it's not that I don't want to work the hours. Just can't justify it with a young child......
You might be a bit more successful with the mid tiers and smaller decent firms. Landers had seemed to have poached a whole heap of lawyers from big firms who wanted a better work life balance and seem to require less billable hrs (1 jr lawyer told me like 6/1/2 or so) not finishing later than 6pm etc.

Don't think your work is wasted, the bar is a great option for work/life balance (obviously not straight away) but I work for barristers and as they work for themselves and earn good money they can take time off when ever. My boss frequent;y gos to his kids school things, has long weekends every couple of months etc...

Last edited:

je_ne_sais_pas

HSC
N/A
I was wondering about the hours you'll be expected to put in.
I completed a clerkship last year at one of the mid tier firms. pretty much it was 8:30- 5 everyday. I have good friends who completed theirs at mid tier and top tier firms and they started and finished similar hours. The whole clerkship process is very social and frequently you go out for drinks or dinner afterwards with fellow clerks. There's also basketball teams, trivia nights and a cruise.

I think the hours that you work as a graduate often depends on the area of law you wish to work in. I know that practice groups such as personal injury and employment are generally 8:30 to 5, however the commercial groups work much much later. One of my best friends was a summer clerk and now a paralegal at a top tier firm and he has worked on a number of occasions 8.30 am - 6 am(!!).

good luck everybody.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Allens and Corrs are calling people. Mallesons has sent an email as well.

I have my first two choices so I'm out of the process and happy. Good luck those still waiting.

kate1986

HSC
Just got Lander and Rogers so the smaller places have started to call Melsc. Haven't heard from Slater & Gordon though...

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Just got Lander and Rogers so the smaller places have started to call Melsc. Haven't heard from Slater & Gordon though...
Are you going to take it? Do they tell you much about it or just tell you they will let you know later

Damn ur making me nervous, I'd love Landers but I am stating to think it might be a no!

I wonder when email rejections will come through?

Last edited:

kate1986

HSC
I'm not sure...I really liked them but then I got some other offers and one was at my favourite (HDY). Guess I'll just think about it over the weekend. Have you heard anything yet?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Nope, unfortunately. I want Landers but am also waiting on Slater and Gordon. Will see.

Congrats and good luck on the decision. How long is Landers giving? The official scheme is till the 14th I think

Last edited:

kate1986

HSC
I have until next Wednesday to decide. Was wondering though, if I say no, will they extend my position to another candidate? I wonder if you still have a chance if people reject them?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I'm not sure how that works, because people on here are getting rejection calls but then what if people do not accept? Maybe they have like a back up list or something because a lot of people get more than one offer and can only take one.

I just got a no email from Landers, right then :( Pretty sure I am out for all now. Shame really, I got to know quite a few people at the Landers cocktail party and really would have liked it, was hoping for early birthday present.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)