Hates the waiting game...
HSC
got the email from Slater & Gordon at 7pm
they are letting us know later on this week if were successful for an interview
who else applied there?
mel i know u did

stell_r

HSC
yes. i was afraid of that. a true legend.

but seriously. got him this wed. any tips?
He interviewed me in the second round when I was going through, and he was probably one of my favourite interviewers. He's a nice guy, was good fun at the cocktail parties too. Asked a few probing but good questions I think, seemed to like direct, honest, articulate answers. From memory Corrs wasn't that big into the behavioural questions- it was mostly talking about your CV, why you want to be a lawyer, why Corrs etc. Corrs seem pretty proud of the ways in which they are different, so probably a decent idea to be well versed in what Corrs is all about. At the second round stage he was openly wooing and asking what other firms I was interviewing at and where I was thinking of going, but that's probably less relevant to 1st round.

Good luck! I really liked Corrs and it was a tough decision to go elsewhere.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I got an official rejection from Harmers and Thompson Playford

I am also curious about (as I dont know of anyone who has heard from them):
*Slater and Gordon
*Tresscox
*Mills Oakley
*Dibbs Barker

I also have a few that obviously didn't bother to send me a rejection: Jones Day, JWS, Holding Redlich

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
congrats on the kpmg offer :)
wow 2days been great. rejections from harmers, thompson playford cutters & tresscox! :( was expecting tresscox and thompson playford though coz i knew ppl who got interviews were called already.

I did however get through to a 4th stage of a marketing internship!
such an extensive process these business ones :/
it sounds a bit like the accounting firms assessments
email said:
Congratulations! You have been successful in gaining a place in the next stage of our Internship recruitment process – which is a mini-assessment centre. The assessment centre will last for approx 4 hours and will include:

* 1 x Group Assessment
* 2 x Short behavioural based interviews
* 1 x Creativity exercise
Will let you know how that goes!

When are peoples minters interviews btw?
mines end of this week

tanubi

HSC
Mine's on Thursday too :)

Had my first one the other day - Clutz. It went okay. Really informal! Kinda thought there'd be more typical 'teamwork' etc questions. Meh.

Good luck to all!

goan_crazy

HSC
good luck tanubi & flamearrows
let me know how your minters goes :)

woah u've got heaps flamearrows
thurs sounds hectic for you!

as does today for blackacre!

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
as does today for blackacre!
had my interviews marathon today. this is how it went.

1. hdy
it was really short. only half an hr. interview was with one hr (lady). very structured. kind of formal. didn't manage to build good rapport. all standard questions except for "give me 3 adjectives that would describe you". don't think i'm going to get to 2nd round.

2. maddocks
this one was scheduled for 45mins. went on for 1 hr. with one hr (guy) and one senior associate (girl). got on pretty good with both. it wasn't formal but it wasn't informal. fairly standard questions as well, nothing surprising. they pretty much went through my cv line by line. whole thing felt ok. i didn't do great but didn't stuff up either. not sure if i'll get 2nd round.

3. corrs
started 15mins late. one partner, one senior associate and one hr (girl). very informal. very friendly. i was impressed by the corrs info evening. i am now even more impressed. not structured at all. conversation jumped around quite a bit, went off on tangents. partner was nice. senior associate was nice. hr girl didn't talk much. damn i really want to work for corrs now. hope i get that 2nd round. but it seems VERY competitive.

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
had my interviews marathon today. this is how it went.

1. hdy
it was really short. only half an hr. interview was with one hr (lady). very structured. kind of formal. didn't manage to build good rapport. all standard questions except for "give me 3 adjectives that would describe you". don't think i'm going to get to 2nd round.
yeah u had a different interviewer
I didn't get the 3 adjectives question
what did u say out of interest?
thats a different question...

3. corrs
started 15mins late. one partner, one senior associate and one hr (girl). very informal. very friendly. i was impressed by the corrs info evening. i am now even more impressed. not structured at all. conversation jumped around quite a bit, went off on tangents. partner was nice. senior associate was nice. hr girl didn't talk much. damn i really want to work for corrs now. hope i get that 2nd round. but it seems VERY competitive.
I didn't get corrs but EVERYONE who got corrs was very impressed by the info evening, so a lot of people will be set on corrs. but good luck mate, hope u get through for that

i really liked HDY. hope i get through to 2nd round.

Minters on fri now
gotta do prep tomorrow, coz i'm working tomorrow night til late

Blackacre

HSC
N/A
to be honest, i got stumped by that question.
but after a good 5 secs of pause, i came up with motivated, committed and dedicated.

upon reflection, committed and dedicated means the same thing. one of the reasons why i dont think i got to 2nd round. oh well.

HSC
N/A
My Corrs interview:
- Partner (woman), Senior associate (man) and HR (woman).
- Lasted about 50mins.
- No behavioural questions.
- Mostly chatting about things on my CV and occasional questions like 'why Corrs?' and 'why are you interested in commercial law?'.

The lack of questions made it difficult to work in that wide-eyed, enthusiastic law student persona that seems to be expected.

MochiGirl15

HSC
I have been aiming at finance/accounting jobs because my interest tends to be towards the commerce side of things. So I only applied for about 5 firms. My law marks are definitely far from impressive so I applied for mid tiers mainly.

I have an interview coming up for Dibbs Barker. Is there anything I should know in particular to the firm or does anyone have any advice on acing the interview? It's my first law interview for a larger firm (I have only worked at boutique law firms before) and I know that it's very different from the banks/Big 4.

Also, are law firms flexible with the starting dates? If I am lucky enough to secure a clerkship with Dibbs Barker I won't be able to start until February because I have already accepted an offer with a bank.

Thanks in advance for any advice given! :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have been aiming at finance/accounting jobs because my interest tends to be towards the commerce side of things. So I only applied for about 5 firms. My law marks are definitely far from impressive so I applied for mid tiers mainly.

I have an interview coming up for Dibbs Barker. Is there anything I should know in particular to the firm or does anyone have any advice on acing the interview? It's my first law interview for a larger firm (I have only worked at boutique law firms before) and I know that it's very different from the banks/Big 4.

Also, are law firms flexible with the starting dates? If I am lucky enough to secure a clerkship with Dibbs Barker I won't be able to start until February because I have already accepted an offer with a bank.

Thanks in advance for any advice given! :)
I'm not to sure how they will take starting in Feb because unless I am wrong, the law ones usually end then. I think they are usually accomodating but it all depends on when they are starting and finishing and if they are flexible. No harm in asking! I am not too sure about bank interviews but if they are like the accounting firms, law interviews are generally just 1-2 rounds of interviews focusing on why you want to work their and the info in your c.v not really any testing or anything...Research the firms areas and know about what makes them different!

When and how did Dibbs contact you, we have all been wondering about them!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)