Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
congrats to everyone who made it through to second round! :)

@ goan_crazy, 5 rounds is friggen ridiculous! congrats btw

Descendia

HSC
Got my second round interview offer from Freehills around 8:30 tonight by phone.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
I'm guessing this must be including Melbourne clerks (where the clerkships work differently) coz no way is that right if it's just Sydney clerks.
What makes you say that?

Those numbers are right on the money from what I've been told in interviews.

stell_r

HSC
What makes you say that?

Those numbers are right on the money from what I've been told in interviews.
For one, Allens etc do not hire ~200 summer clerks each year in Sydney. And anecdotal evidence suggests offer rates among Sydney summer clerks at the big firms was pretty close to 100%, whereas in Melbourne it is the norm to complete 3ish vacation clerkships so graduate offer rates are much lower.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
For one, Allens etc do not hire ~200 summer clerks each year in Sydney. And anecdotal evidence suggests offer rates among Sydney summer clerks at the big firms was pretty close to 100%, whereas in Melbourne it is the norm to complete 3ish vacation clerkships so graduate offer rates are much lower.
The stats are for full year, not summer.

But even so, the numbers are pretty consistent with the few firms which have revealed their numbers to me.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Red envelopes are turning up again from Minter Ellison and Mallesons are calling people.

Now only waiting on Jones Day and Blake Dawson.

04er

HSC
Last edited:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
For anyone who got the email from Slater and Gordon confirming the interview details for the interview they already had. It was an error and was supposed to be sent before the interview. HR should be in contact soon re: second round interviews.

Descendia

HSC
The stats are for full year, not summer.

But even so, the numbers are pretty consistent with the few firms which have revealed their numbers to me.
Even so, surely those numbers are still national numbers...? Maybe I'm really out of the loop but isn't there only one intake per year for clerkships in Sydney?

It's just what I've heard from former clerks/current grads is that the usual number of clerks taken on by top tiers is at most 50-60 (but more like 40) and last year almost everyone at Mallesons got invited back, and the same with Freehills.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Even so, surely those numbers are still national numbers...? Maybe I'm really out of the loop but isn't there only one intake per year for clerkships in Sydney?

It's just what I've heard from former clerks/current grads is that the usual number of clerks taken on by top tiers is at most 50-60 (but more like 40) and last year almost everyone at Mallesons got invited back, and the same with Freehills.
I'm not sure if there are internships / clerkships other than at summer.

But as I said, the figures are consistent with what I have been told.

One of the partners I spoke to admitted that they usually make offers to about 60% of those who clerk at the firm, and that this is roughly the same with most of the firms, despite what they might tell us.

Other firms told me that they can't really say what percentage would be offered grad positions, as it is dependent upon the economy and on your performance.

Corrs suggested that they will make an offer to all clerks, unless they do something incredibly stupid. They only take 15, though.

stell_r

HSC
I'm not sure if there are internships / clerkships other than at summer.

But as I said, the figures are consistent with what I have been told.

One of the partners I spoke to admitted that they usually make offers to about 60% of those who clerk at the firm, and that this is roughly the same with most of the firms, despite what they might tell us.

Other firms told me that they can't really say what percentage would be offered grad positions, as it is dependent upon the economy and on your performance.

Corrs suggested that they will make an offer to all clerks, unless they do something incredibly stupid. They only take 15, though.
There's only one intake of clerks in Sydney, and that's the summer clerks. So even if some of the percentages might sound right, the absolute number of summer clerks can't possibly be just for Sydney.

I can only speak for last year, but I know for a fact there was 100% offers at Blakes and Bakers, 58/60 (or thereabouts) at Freehills and similar at Mallesons. The Corrs attitude was the prevalent one in my experience. The 60% might apply to the mid-tiers (sounds about right for DLA, Deacons, Middletons going from last year) but hasn't been the case for the big firms.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
How is everyone going?

I am pleased to say I passed my first round interview for Lovells!

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)