Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

tanubi

HSC
How did everyone go?? I think they're mostly out by now...

I have 3 :) But am a little apprehensive about the BD group exercise thingy! :S

LA88

HSC
Yep, three also! Just got the invited for the BD presentation thingy.

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Missed BD, Jones Day and Baker...

So five second round interviews for me.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Thought I'll excite some of you aspiring young people. Pg 42 of the AFR today (18 Sept 09) - everything you need to know about the law firms (ie how much you'll be making as a partner). Hopefully stops random guesses from people with low self-esteem or random trolling for a while.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Missed BD, Jones Day and Baker...

So five second round interviews for me.
Did you think at the time (or afterwards) that those interviews did not go so well? Or were you surprised with which firms offered you second round as compared to those which didn't?

LA88

HSC
Thought I'll excite some of you aspiring young people. Pg 42 of the AFR today (18 Sept 09) - everything you need to know about the law firms (ie how much you'll be making as a partner). Hopefully stops random guesses from people with low self-esteem or random trolling for a while.
Very interesting article. What is an equity partner?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Did you think at the time (or afterwards) that those interviews did not go so well? Or were you surprised with which firms offered you second round as compared to those which didn't?
I wasn't surprised I missed BD and Baker. Missing Jones Day stung a fair bit. I also thought Minter went terribly terribly badly but apparently not (?)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
i'm out of the clerkship game now :(
got my rejection email from minter yesterday

good luck to everyone on 2nd rounds

congrats hypertrophy & flamearrows- very impressive

and yeah i have to say that how you feel an interview went ive seen isn't really how it goes... i thought my HDY and Minters interviews went well
and the business one i did i went well in only half but stuffed up the other
but what happened was that i didn't get 2nd rounds for the clerkships, but yet got through to the final stage (5th stage) for that business internship!

Tabris

HSC
Deacons - reject
Middletons -reject
Harmers Workplace Lawyers (clerkship) - 1st round coming up
HWL Ebsworth Graduate Program - interview coming up

On a side note, I received a grad offer (not with a law firm)....

subdued123

HSC
Very interesting article. What is an equity partner?
An equity partner owns part of the firm - profits will be shared between the partners.

Technically all partners own part of the firm - they each get a vote in determining how the business is run.

However, with the expansion of law firms to well over 100 partners in large firms, you have different types of partners now. The reference to the AFR article above (sorry, forgot who linked to it) is excellent. It tells you who earns what.

Basically, new partners earn 380k at the top tier in their first year. However, more established partners will earn between 1 and 2 million at the top tiers.

Partnership structures are now quite complex - you have performance bonuses to reflect who's been billing well. And a new trend is the non-equity partner - that is, you are recognised as senior enough to be a partner, but you do not share in the profit pool - you are paid a fixed wage.

To all the summer clerk interviewees - buy the AFR on a Friday and have a look at the legal affairs section which comes out weekly - you can learn a lot about the industry and perhaps about some things the firms don't want you to know.

The Australian's legal affairs section is quite informative too: Legal Affairs | Business and Legal Affairs | The Australian

over and out

je_ne_sais_pas

HSC
N/A
Deacons - reject
Middletons -reject
Harmers Workplace Lawyers (clerkship) - 1st round coming up
HWL Ebsworth Graduate Program - interview coming up

On a side note, I received a grad offer (not with a law firm)....
Hey, i'm new here- please be nice.

Why are you interviewing for clerkships AND Grad jobs? I don't get it. You have to be in your penultimate year to get a clerkship, and be in your final semester for a Grad.

?????

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
An equity partner owns part of the firm - profits will be shared between the partners.

Technically all partners own part of the firm - they each get a vote in determining how the business is run.

However, with the expansion of law firms to well over 100 partners in large firms, you have different types of partners now. The reference to the AFR article above (sorry, forgot who linked to it) is excellent. It tells you who earns what.

Basically, new partners earn 380k at the top tier in their first year. However, more established partners will earn between 1 and 2 million at the top tiers.

Partnership structures are now quite complex - you have performance bonuses to reflect who's been billing well. And a new trend is the non-equity partner - that is, you are recognised as senior enough to be a partner, but you do not share in the profit pool - you are paid a fixed wage.

To all the summer clerk interviewees - buy the AFR on a Friday and have a look at the legal affairs section which comes out weekly - you can learn a lot about the industry and perhaps about some things the firms don't want you to know.

The Australian's legal affairs section is quite informative too: Legal Affairs | Business and Legal Affairs | The Australian

over and out
Yea it's all a mug's game. To reach that junior partner level you'd have to work quite hard as a senior associate. Sure you can cruise around as a junior solicitor but the jump from senior associate to partner requires hard work. Be prepared to work a good 14 hr day on average.

All for a whopping 380k. In fact if you were at Baker's you'd get 290k.

LA88

HSC
Addisons also has a clerkship program which I think opens up shortly. Look on their website if you're interested.

tanubi

HSC
Can i ask why none of you guys applied to Sparke Helmore for clerkships?
I didn't think that Sparke Helmore were offering clerkships this year? Pretty sure I read that on their website. Correct me if I am wrong.

Meanwhile, is anyone else a little apprehensive about the BD group interview? Have NO idea what to expect...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)