Summer clerkships 2009/2010 (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
flamearrows said:
I dunno man, but I sure hope it's with Frigid.
probably ;)
hYperTrOphY said:
i'm trying to decide between Freehills and Allens. Freehills was my number 1 option throughout the process, but now I can't decide.
personally, i would pick freehills.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Depends. If it's IP and media you're after I would go AAR.
That is precisely the reason I am having difficulty - my interest is in IP.

However, I am tending to think I will go with my gut and choose Freehills. I may hate IP when I start practicing, and it is probably a better decision to go to the firm at which I felt most comfortable and connected.

Do you make your comment because Allens has a particularly good IP and media group, or because Freehills has a bad one, or both?

Frigid said:
personally, i would pick freehills.
Any particular reason?

Last edited:

rubin

HSC

However, I am tending to think I will go with my gut and choose Freehills. I may hate IP when I start practicing, and it is probably a better decision to go to the firm at which I felt most comfortable and connected.

Do you make your comment because Allens has a particularly good IP and media group, or because Freehills has a bad one, or both?

Any particular reason?
I'd be weary of Freehills on the basis that they had 62 summer clerks (in Sydney) last year and all but 3 got graduate offers. I would be worried about the backlog of grads and the competition for work in order to meet targets.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

i didn't know you had an interest in IP. while yes, AAR ranks higher in every legal directory for IP than Freehills, my personal view is that, both firms being top tier, there's very little difference in terms of client sophistication and work quality, especially for a graduate lawyer.

moreover, i would choose Freehills for these few reasons: 1http://firmspy.com/freehills/2049/afr-law-firm-profit-survey-freehills vs 2http://firmspy.com/allens-arthur-robinson/2021/afr-law-firm-profit-survey-allens-arthur-robinson, 3http://firmspy.com/allens-arthur-robinson/2075/firm-spy-downlow-award-allens-arthur-robinson and 4http://firmspy.com/firm-gossip/1358...es-seasonal-clerks-with-booze-fuelled-parties.

disclosure: i do not work at Freehills or AAR.

jake1987

HSC
I can't decide! Need to work it out soon though! Where are you going jake1986? Does anyone know the difference in pay between top tier and mid-tier for a summer clerk?
I'll be going to Blakes =) How bout you kate1986?

kate1986

HSC
I'll be going to Blakes =) How bout you kate1986?
Nice! I was thinking about accepting Blakes but have now narrowed it down to Clutz and HDY. Haha I wasn't going to take Clutz but then I was wooed by their chocolate fountain and dumpling array at the cocktail evening!

Think I'll end up taking HDY though - I like how you get to have more responsibility earlier on at mid-tiers. After so many years at uni, I want to get out there!

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
i donno if I will ever do well in syd clerkship race..but after 2 years dealing with the HR at HDY for unsw events, i love the people there... i can talk to them (esp jane) about anything, im sending her a small gift for her upcoming baby. LOL

..just my two cents.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Good luck with the decisions guys with the deadline being tomorrow (is it like 5pm tomorrow?) I wonder if further offers will be made after this?

Did anyone end up hearing from Slater and Gordon in the end? I'm sure I'm completely out of the race though!

Hypertrophy, its a tough choice. I believe Freehills is in the MLC centre which has a nice food court, on the otherhand Allens is in the Deutche Bank building which has awesome views and cool fast lifts!

Last edited:

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
i'm flattered, but i hope you're not choosing malles because (you think) i work there. ;)
It's the higher summer (and I assume graduate) pay and the prospect of using it to claw my way out of Australia that was most attractive. I'll only be a little shattered if it turns out that you'll never be a part of my working life.

stell_r

HSC
It's the higher summer (and I assume graduate) pay and the prospect of using it to claw my way out of Australia that was most attractive. I'll only be a little shattered if it turns out that you'll never be a part of my working life.
Out of curiosity, what is the pay this year? Last year all the big 6/big mid tiers were pretty close (my offers ranged from 900 to 970 a week). Not sure how it translates to grad salaries though- only know for sure what my firm pays, but I think they're probably relatively close, with G+T paying more I think?

flamearrows

come on die young
HSC
Out of curiosity, what is the pay this year? Last year all the big 6/big mid tiers were pretty close (my offers ranged from 900 to 970 a week). Not sure how it translates to grad salaries though- only know for sure what my firm pays, but I think they're probably relatively close, with G+T paying more I think?
The range is the same.

The only publically available figure was the Clutz salary (blurted out at the information night) - $860/w

kate1986

HSC
i donno if I will ever do well in syd clerkship race..but after 2 years dealing with the HR at HDY for unsw events, i love the people there... i can talk to them (esp jane) about anything, im sending her a small gift for her upcoming baby. LOL

..just my two cents.

Thanks for the advice mitsui! With your connection to HR (and obvious interest in the firm) I would say you are a shoe in!

Also melsc, I didn't ever hear from Slater & Gordon. It seems to be a bit of a strange firm... They better get their offers out if acceptances have to be in by tomorrow though! I was holding out in accepting anything until I heard from them. I give them until lunch tomorrow!

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for the advice mitsui! With your connection to HR (and obvious interest in the firm) I would say you are a shoe in!

Also melsc, I didn't ever hear from Slater & Gordon. It seems to be a bit of a strange firm... They better get their offers out if acceptances have to be in by tomorrow though! I was holding out in accepting anything until I heard from them. I give them until lunch tomorrow!
Maybe email them? It is strange, I don't know anyone who has heard anything from them, its like they did some interviews and then decided not to do it or something

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
out of curiousity guys,

would you rather be a no-body in a big firm, or someone with a name in a smaller firm?

i had a hard time deciding between deacons and lovells for hk (which most ppl went 'wat is that'), but i felt it's the right choice... =\

goodluck!!!

je_ne_sais_pas

HSC
N/A
Did anyone end up hearing from Slater and Gordon in the end? I'm sure I'm completely out of the race though!

Unfortunately last year Slater and Gordon only contacted people to offer them a position, they did not contact anyone to notify them that they were unsuccessful.

maybe give them a call, or an email. Shows that you're still keen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)