Supp Texts - Imaginative (1 Viewer)

paint

HSC
Has anyone seen the movie "Amelie"?

It can be considered as an imaginative journey, right?

Do you think it's not obvious, or would it be a good related text?

Thanks!

libbster_

HSC
i am thinking of using the picture book 'where the wild things are' as a supp text for colridges poetry...im just kinda worried that i will be marked down because the story is too basic and childish. also im worried that it may be too obvious and one that everybody does...what do u think?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Picture books are excellent texts to use. Make sure you talk about the visuals and how they interact with the story - you will only be marked down if your analysis is too basic and childish.

I_F

timprice

great success!
HSC
i'm thinking of using 'holy grail' by hunters and collectors. can anyone give me any tips on what the most effective way to use this would be?

Budabump

HSC
hey everyone... i was just wondering, is the picture 'We're going on a bear hunt' a good supp text to go with Coleridge peom??
i was thinking of doing 'Where the wild things are' but too many ppl are doing it at my school..

thanks for ur help

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Would any of Thomas Keneally's books be considered imaginative? In particular Bring Larks and Heroes. The other text is Snugglepot and Cuddlepie...

tiramisu25489

HSC
I was just wondering which poem (from Coleridge) would the episode "Restless" (Season 4, Buffy) relate to? I rewatched it. Seems imaginative enough for me :) And I love Buffy, I just can't seem to find a poem to actually relate it to. ..

jezzacharmed

HSC
Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder- a brilliant text to use, even though it's a bit long and more than a little trippy. ;)

General question: How would you go about analysing a tv show? Anyone have any links or info on this? I was thinking about using a specific episode as a main focus but also talking about the series in general.

emmaballin

HSC
just wondering if anyone has thought about using the film "Hook' as a related text for imaginative journey? do u reckon it would be good?

passion89

HSC
tiramisu25489 said:
I was just wondering which poem (from Coleridge) would the episode "Restless" (Season 4, Buffy) relate to? I rewatched it. Seems imaginative enough for me :) And I love Buffy, I just can't seem to find a poem to actually relate it to. ..

Hahaha I'm doing Restless - it fits in very well.

thesuntoucher

HSC
hey guys,
just wondering if anyone was doing "the secret life of walter mitty" short story by James Thurber and whether they thought it was a useful one to do in relation to the tempest?

supergrover198

HSC
I've noticed that alot of books aimed at younger audiences, and some less conventional texts haven't been listed. There are some good ones out there for all the people who read alot and can't find anything they like in the existing list. I apologise before hand if I've repeated any already listed.
  • The Happy Prince and Other Stories by Oscar Wilde has some fantastic fairytales in them that are aimed at children but are really good imaginative journeys, if you can't get the book then some of these are available online so I'll list them. They are: The Happy Prince, The Nightingale and the Rose, The Selfish Giant, The Devoted Friend, The Remarkable Rocket.
    • Aesop's Fables have some good imaginative techniques, mostly anthropomorphism.
    • Alot of Grimm's Fairy Tales, especially the older ones that were edited out of most editions in the 1800s but are still available are good for imaginative journeys. These fairytales are good because they, like most contain speculation and conjecture about the nature of human behaviour.
    • Obviously if I'm to include Grimm's then I have to include Hans Christian Andersen, as his are also of the same nature, but mostly more child friendly.
    For other types of imaginative journeys with a children's audience in mind there are books like Playing Beatie Bow by Ruth Park, Hitler's Daughter by Jackie French, Billy Thunder and the Night Gate by Isobelle Carmody. Alison Lester's picture books are good, such as Isabella's Bed, Magic Beach, The Journey Home. Even better there used to be a cd with her books read on it, I dont know if that's still available, but that opens up a different type of text. There's also a book of short stories by Joan Aiken that are really good imaginative journeys called A Necklace of Raindrops
    Anne Rice books are a good imaginative journey using the gothic genre.
    Ray Bradbury is quite good in terms of Science Fiction.
    Aldous Huxley's essays Doors of Perception and Heaven and Hell are definately something to think about if not use as a text.
    William Blake's The Marriage Between Heaven and Hell are a series of poems, with artwork, that are really good for imaginative journeys, each one is an imaginative journey so you don't need to use all of them.
    Kafka's Metamorphosis is another one that's definately interesting, but best of all its short!
    And hey, if you really get stuck with finding a text go down to your local library, or bookshop and ask for the science fiction section.

Spo

HSC
I don't know if these have been mentioned but painintgs by Escher and the Polar Express picture book and movie by Chris Van Alsberg are good related material for imaginative journies. Pretty easy to use as well.

DonnaLily

HSC
I used the movie Hating Alison Ashley as one text, and a song called Walking Into Walls by Brian McFadden, and a painting called Lilac Dreams by Joesphine Wall (http://www.josephinewall.com/josephine.html >> gallery >> air and water >> fourth image on the top row ). I got pretty good marks on my analysis of Hating Alison Ashley and Lilac Dreams....just a suggestion...

sped14

HSC
Hey all, I'm new to this whole thing so go easy on me.
Yeah I obviously didn't bother reading all 15 pages on this topic, but at my school we do Imaginative Journeys and I've found some good texts to use.
'Finding Neverland' directed by Marc Forster- it's easy to relate and probably already been mentioned, but make sure you stress the imaginative journey, not just J.M. Barrie's imagination. It's easy to talk about the imagination journey that Barrie takes his audience on at the premier- Peter Llewelyn-Davies especially.
Its also good to use the citicisms/warnings of members of the public (Charles Frohman theatre director, Emma du Maurier, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at the cricket match etc) to show the contextual preconceived notions of the journey, particularly the imaginative journey.
'Metropolis Pt II: Scenes from a Memory' is a complex album by Dream Theater with a complicated plot, but it relates especially well to challenging preconceived notions and all that jazz.
Oh and whilst 'Frost at Midnight' from the stimulus booklet is a very simple text, you can use it to talk about how the responder is sent on an imaginative journey of sepculation about 'what might have been' etc.
Have fun! English is so fun....

Zep

HSC
reckon dr. who could be an imaginative journey? i'm thinking i should stick with what i know, and so far ive got LOTR :D as a related text and i'm thinking i should probably have a few more....

kisschasysunday

HSC
I'm using Gattaca, the film. Showing the lack of imaginative journeys caused by enforced conformity. Also using Gattaca for Powerplay & Ext 1 English. Makes life easier.

wicked_65

HSC
Does anyone think Forrest Gump would be a suitable related text for imaginative journeys??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)