Swearing in creative writing?? (1 Viewer)

FINNY69

HSC
I have a pre-written story that I'm taking into the exam.Basically,it can fit to any stimulus.However,at the end of the story it does require me to say "fuck".Considering it's in context and brings humour to the piece,I'd assume the markers wouldn't care,but my teacher disagrees.She thinks that while it does make it funny and is in context,she thinks the markers would take offence and mark me down.She says it would still be a high marking piece,however would get less with swearing added.Thoughts??

aimhigh10

HSC
i guess it kind of depends on the marker..
stereotypically- an older female marker would probably be offended
an older male marker might not mind
a younger female or male marker would understand it in the context, unless they are really strict or something

so i guess it really depends on the stimuli and whether it is ok to take the risk..

oh btw
any story ideas you would like to share..?

BlueGiraffe

HSC
I think it would probably be ok. One of the rubriks is 'uses lanuage forms and features' and if you use swearing as a technique to get a message across then I can't see how you would be marked down. However, if you feel uncomfortable about it, could you tone it down to say 'crap.'? or would that not have the same effect.
Also I am intruiged... it works for ANY stimulus? I have a prepared piece but am worried about making it fit. How do you know it works for everything?

SimonLee13

HSC
It adds realism to your piece of work as people say it in real life. If people get offended by the word fuck, they should go outside; into the real world.

dolbinau

HSC
Perhaps you can substitute the word for something of similar effect that isn't swearing, or censor it.

Garygaz

HSC
Don't worry, swearing is fine when used in the right context and when used in moderation. Talked to a BOS person about it. :)

FINNY69

HSC
BlueGiraffe said:
I think it would probably be ok. One of the rubriks is 'uses lanuage forms and features' and if you use swearing as a technique to get a message across then I can't see how you would be marked down. However, if you feel uncomfortable about it, could you tone it down to say 'crap.'? or would that not have the same effect.
Also I am intruiged... it works for ANY stimulus? I have a prepared piece but am worried about making it fit. How do you know it works for everything?
my bad.mine works for any written stimulus,like quotes or openings etc.
not pictures or anything like that.

Easy,just use the quote as the opening then change the thing around.They expect people to add onto the quote or whatever when you can really do what you want eg.

Stimulus
‘He told me one last story. He used his aged, ruined voice like an old man’s hands to pick the lock on his past...’

People would expect you to add onto that,when really you can just say;

"he switched off the tv"

or something of that nature and then write about whatever you want.Mind you,originality is the key.

Last edited:

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Makes you come across as immature, I've been told.

'lulz its creative writing i can swear if i want'

simmowrites

HSC
A kid in my class analysed a piece of work for an assignment called "Fuck the Police." He got full marks for it and the teacher read it out to the class despite having to swear basically every second word. It was hilarious, especially coz the deputy principle walked in as she was reading it. I know this may be different to creative writing, but she seems to think swearing is fine as long as it strengthens the piece. If you are doing it purely for the shock factor then forget it though, the markers have heard it all before.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)