• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Sydney (1 Viewer)

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
well back on topic, kellyville is like a concrete hole. i dont think id like to live there. no trees. i love trees. all the homes look exactly the same as each other. the proposal of bob carr does sound good in theory......

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
The construction of 'villages' in new areas such as Quakers Hill do seem like an isolated island of homes emphasised by the lack of trees, the lack of people roaming the supposed safe streets, and the lack of community one feels as the lack of traffic makes the silence deafening. Bob Carr's proposal has merit and it has been far too long that urban planning has been ignored.

superbird

HSC
Asquithian said:
yes thats right...bob carr never did anything right...:rolleyes:

damn the population with short memories
no i dont hav a short memory. from wat ive seen bob carr hasn't done a very good job at all. add to that im also pro-liberal. neways lets not get into a heated argument over this and stay on topic.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
There's stuffing up, and then there's Whitlam.

btw, superbird your political stance doesn't necessarily determine whether a party has done something right or wrong, I wouldn't be surprised if under Bob Carr's leadership a number of positive reforms have been enacted ( though at the moment I can't think of anything significant, and i'm not sure if asqy can either since he isn't posting anything :rolleyes: ) but the state of the states infrastructure can be attributable both to the current Labor governments short term thinking and pursuit of abstract goals such as a budget surplus over the long term, which is both pointless ( and which they have incidentally failed at, as the budget is predicted to move towards a 500 million dollar deficit ). The NSW government received a windfall of 8 billion dollars from increased stamp duties etc, and simply sat on it and allowed it to be frittered away.

That's almost criminal :p

Last edited:

superbird

HSC
Asquithian could you please name for us one good thing Bob Carr has done for NSW (besides the topic of urban development) because I'm struggling to think of one

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
the budget in NSW is balanced isnt it?
def of 500 million predicted for next year.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
urban sprawl....aussies spread their stuff all over the place.
But Sydney is beautiful, just kinda overly ethnically diverse (but that's happening to a heap of developed world cities, so we aren't really all that special)...don't knock it. *wags finger*

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Sydney is one of the best cities in the world...
Have you ever seen the bad parts of Sydney? Or have you just seen out the window of your comfy apartment or Uni college?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
urban sprawl....aussies spread their stuff all over the place.
But Sydney is beautiful, just kinda overly ethnically diverse (but that's happening to a heap of developed world cities, so we aren't really all that special)...don't knock it. *wags finger*
Sydney Harbour is beautiful. The city CBD is O.K. Are the urban slums and run down buildings were homeless people are forced to sleep due to no accomodation because of a run down Department of Housing program beautiful aswell?

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
short memories...very short memories...it would not be a great day for this state if the libs get in next state election. State liberal, unlike federal liberal, manifestly hopeless.

All people who are in the know... whenever they hear Brogden say something stupid and just shake their heads in shame...simply because he's hopeless and he is going to be our next premier and it's really really sad. From the legal perspective lawyers and legal academics dread a liberal government in NSW simply because they will destroy the criminal common law, tie the hands of the government and push law and order further to the right. I mean Andrew Tink is a fucking madman in terms of law and order. Liberal Justice Ministers in NSW have a reputation for interesting law and order policies.

People seem to ignore the achievements of the Carr government. Sadly it will be remembered as the government that was in power when the rail system finally just gave up...

The only decent state liberal is Barry O'Farrel...Chika was good too...!

Its funny that people can remember back to Whitlam and the mistakes the labor governments made around going back 40 years but no one remembers the mistakes of the liberal party, and cant even remember back a few years...
these comments on law and order all seem a bit rich given that the carr government is in terms of criminal law, probably the most extreme government in post-war history, he has turned law far to the right since the greiner and fahey years. in those years people actually showed some compassion and were able to forgive each other for past sins, rehabilitation was an issue rather than just locking people up and throwing away the key. bob carr's solution to crime problems is just to throw people in jail for as long as possible rather than attempting to SOLVE PROBLEMS of crime. the prison population is at its highest level in nsw history, our prisons are overcrowded (and that is with the many jails that have been constructed by carr), despite this, the prisons are still out of control, with guards having no control over inmates, the police service is at a record size, personal freedoms are now a thing of the past with terrorism legislation, we even have a "navy", in the name of "protection"

as for this landrelease business, the carr government has been constantly destroying sydney. we just create loads of mcmansions on the fringes of sydney destroying the environment. they have no public transport so everyone is forced to use cars creating excess pollution. the planning law is rigged to ensure that shopping strips aren't allowed and carr's mate frank lowy (westfields) is allowed to move in and have a monopoly on shopping, and guess what, the only way to get to these shopping centres is by car, no public transport!

another "achievement" of the carr government is the construction of relatively efficient motorways throughout sydney encouraging a car dependency and moving people away from public transport, creating more pollution. on top of this they have crippled the rail and bus sytems and our need for light rail, as being fought for by clover moore, is being totally ignored

in short bob carr is turning sydney into a car dependent, homogenous, polluted city with out of control crime rates, so much for "achievements"

on top of this our "green" premier wants to build three new coal fired power stations to power the airconditioners of the mcmansions he has created, perhaps he doesn't care about the global warming this will create? he will be dead then, anyway, who cares?

carr doesn't seem interested in sorting out sydney's water supply problems either, is water supply levels keep falling he will no chance of winning the next election and the residents of sydney will be en even more trouble. i doubt he cares, he will be off living in his new zealand mansion.

then again, nothing happens in nsw these days until there is a crisis, and even then the "solutions" only really prolong the crisis

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ok in a rare event I am going to agree with Asquithian.

These problems aren't just Carr's creation. There are problems occuring down in Victoria, admittely the scornsby freeway is Bracks' fault but alot of the problems were around during the Kennet era.

The rail system is failing in NSW and does need help but I honestly don't expect any government to fix it in the near future. Simply due to the expense required to fix it, and the amount of delays that would be occuring while fixing it meaning it would have to be undertaken over a long period of time.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asqy, the Liberal government has a number of good environmental policies i.e.: that recent buyback of Barrier Reef fishing licenses.

And @ Xayma I mentioned before that the Carr government received a windfall of about 8 billion dollars from increased stamp duty etc, which would have been enough to build the chatswood to epping raillink 10 times over.

However, they chose to sit on the money, and it just dwindled away....

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
I beg to differ...The law and order debate has been on the rise ever since the Greiner government came to power in (1988? forgotten). I mean Grieners Jusitice minister was a nutcase.

Yes you are right the Labor government has pushed the law and order debate even further to the right. By what is said by Tink i believe the liberals will go even further right...fun times...

McMansion areas are liberal voting areas. I dont expect Brogden to build any rail anywhere...

you are right. We are becoming very car dependent. But then again we live in a very inward individualist society. Public transport is for poor people who cant afford cars...its not like those living on the northern beaches ever wanted a rail link.

Any other suggestions? Its odd that you are a die hard liberal and you can keep crapping on about being green when Tasmanian forests will be gone one day. But it doesnt matter. You will be dead by then.

I mean if Bob Carr annouced that he was going to build windmills for power people would start calling him the next bob brown. Who gives a shit about the environment. Certianly not the federal liberal government and certainly not the population of Australia

carr wont win the next election and he knows it...

Sometimes i think this state is being run by the daily Telegraph...
why don't you expect brogden to build any rail links anywhere? it has only really been liberal governments that have constructed rail links in recent memory, eg. olympic park, airport, eastern suburbs

global warming is not an environmental issue, it is an economic issue, economic growth is not sustainable over the long term if we don't sort it out. we need to get rid of coal power and replace it with renewables and nuclear power.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Go and huggle your swingline stapler, the right will save this country ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
neo_o said:
Go and huggle your swingline stapler, the right will save this country ;)
They've been doing such a good job of saving the country federally....

Asquithan said:
Too true, it does explain lurching from crisis to crisis - something which broggers seems much better at doing than Carr, eg he will find and publicise at least one new crisis a week.

Returning to the issue at hand - it is high time that Sydney recieved a good dose of planning rather than growing essentially organically. New planned suburbs with public transport are waht sydney needs not more Kellyville's.

I can't recall who made the point about London, you are right. I didn't spend that ong in London but it was much more densly populated and a look on a map reveals that it does indeed take up the same size area as Sydney. As a note though it's public transport has been privatised and is both expensive and shit. The motorway system is laberinthyne and frequently congested. When I was there a half hour or less trip (at the speed limit) took 3 and half hours because it was that jammed - apperently this is not uncommon.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
addymac said:
They've been doing such a good job of saving the country federally....

Asquithan said:
I can't recall who made the point about London, you are right. I didn't spend that ong in London but it was much more densly populated and a look on a map reveals that it does indeed take up the same size area as Sydney. As a note though it's public transport has been privatised and is both expensive and shit. The motorway system is laberinthyne and frequently congested. When I was there a half hour or less trip (at the speed limit) took 3 and half hours because it was that jammed - apperently this is not uncommon.
Well at least Sydneys rail service isn't buying parts of e-bay unlike some of them in London.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
smh said:
Sydney's hell hole estate to be bulldozed
December 13, 2004 - 4:18PM

Carl Scully ... "Unsurprisingly the social experiment of the 70s has failed ... it's a bizarre social planning experiment, the likes of which have not been seen in many other parts of the world."

Sydney's failed public housing experiments of the 1970s are set to be bulldozed in a NSW government plan to breathe new life into troubled suburbs.

Housing Minister Carl Scully today wrote off as bizarre the so-called Radburn developments of the 1970s, and announced a $500 million plan to renew high need public housing estates in the west.

The Living Communities plan will start with the 81ha Bonnyrigg estate near Liverpool.

The unemployment rate in the estate is more than 29 per cent and crime rates are higher than the state average.

Two-thirds of families speak a language other than English at home.

Under the plan, the estate will be transformed, with the private sector invited to bulldoze large sections and replace them with public and private housing.

"I don't think anyone should live in a home that I myself wouldn't live in," Mr Scully told reporters at the estate today.

"(Under the plan) it will no longer ... be the public housing estate that you now see today.

"It will be a community of a couple of thousand of households that happens to have about 30 per cent of public housing families salt-and-peppered throughout the community."
AdvertisementAdvertisement

Mr Scully said it would show the way forward for bulldozing most of the large-scale public housing estates in western and south-western Sydney.

He said the experiment on which many old housing estates were based was disastrous. The Radburn idea was based on the separation of cars and pedestrians, with houses turned away from the street to focus on open space and walkways.

"Unsurprisingly, the social experiment of the `70s has failed," he said.
"It's called the Radburn experiment; front yards face the back, back yards face the street.

"It's a bizarre social planning experiment the likes of which have not been seen in many other parts of the world."

The Bonnyrigg redevelopment will include about 2,000 new houses.

The NSW opposition said the government must ensure the plans were finalised before public housing tenants were left homeless by the bulldozers.

Construction at Bonnyrigg is due to begin in late 2006.
Affected tenants would be given the choice of moving temporarily and returning to the area, or moving to another area.
The Bonnyrigg project is expected to take five to 10 years to complete.
Seems relevant.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
1. I dont live in uni college. the view from uni college at unsw is trees and a road or Maccas.
My point exactly.

Asquithian said:
2. Its holidays. I'm not at uni.
I'm disappointed. Your barely into your rant and your already off track.

Asquithian said:
4. I've been to all parts of sydney. I've seen more world cities and more of Sydney than you. I have the feeling I've been to all the parts of Sydney at some point.
I'm sorry, do you know me? Your 20 and you think you've seen the world and ALL of Sydney. For some reason I doubt it. How many world cities have you seen? 1? 2?

Asquithian said:
Be it Campbeltown, Blacktown, The gong, Newcastle, Cabramatta Sutho shire, the eastern suburbs, northern beaches, katoomba, Richmond, im also sure most of the people on this forum have walked though most of the city - even redfern...

You been to Hornsby?
Wow, you have walked through the city. So have 10 million other people.

Asquithian said:
5. I think some people would take offence to you stating that there are 'bad' parts of sydney. You know people live there and quite like living there. Can you please list the bad parts of Sydney and why you dont approve? That would be great thaaaaaanks...
Do you take offence to it Asquithian? Go to any DOH site, I dont approve of people being stuck in shit little shanty homes. Maybe you do, but I don't.

Asquithian said:
1. Sydney Harbour is the best in the world. not much comes close.

2. Sydney CBD is great. Low Crime rates. Activity and not overly busy.
And? What does this have to do with anything. I already stated it in my post.

Asquithian said:
3. Urban slums? Um dont all citities have those? Please point out where there are urban slums in Sydney...There are some...but not that many
Read above.

Asquithian said:
4. Dont like housing department houses? Maybe you can vote for Brogden and see how much he puts into making government housing 'beautiful'
Dont like seeing people have a good standard of living? Join Asquithian let people live below the poverty line.

Asquithian said:
Thats right peoples. Throny can be a fucking idiot on the otherside of the world...
Thats right people. Asquithian has just finished second year law and he still hasn't grasped grammer or the English language.

Asquithian, your problem is that your too obsesed by your own beliefs that to you nobody else matters. To you, no opinion matters apart from your own.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
Oh Gawd thorny. You didnt even answer any of my my questions. Most people on this forum would agree that you are one of the idiots.

Again dont throw stones in glass houses.

The fact is i have to spell out where you trapped over your own words otherwise you would never know where you contradicted yourself. Neo and Moonlight dont have to have that done to them. Thats why i think you are a fucking idiot.

Your response of above didnt even adress any of the issues you raised. It doesnt add anything and then goes on to contradict your original post!

YOU DONT EVEN ANSWER WHAT I SAID! :rolleyes:

1. The vew of out my bedroom window is also much like the unsw colleges. A road and some trees. What was your point? Thats right you dont have any point!

2. Your dissapointed? It doesn't take a much of a brain to work out the comment on why i'm not at uni. I'm not at uni and hence I'm not at college!

No, most lefties would agree, most righties would agree you are the biggest idiot in this forum.

How didn't I answer your questions? Your still writing absolute rubbish!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)