• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Sydney (1 Viewer)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I agree with Asqy, other the majority of other lefties and righties on this board enunciate their opinions clearly and back them up with examples, unlike yourself.

Thorny you are the forum equivalent to the daily telegraph: you make completely unsuported claims, sensationalise nothing and appear to have a reading age of 8.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Thorny, you are the moron here, you're doing nothing but stiring up shit. Your arguments have yet to be backed up, and thats just the few that made sense.

I've lived in Sydney my entire life, but have family from rural NSW, some in towns others on properties. I absolutley love the bush, i'm moving to Bathurst next year to go to Uni and I intend on the moving up to the Northern Tablelands/Macquarie Region to eventually settle down, mainly because, as Asqy stated, I'm one of these Australians who need big back yards with a Hills Hoist and alot of wide open spaces. Just because I'd prefer to live out there doesn't mean I think very little of Sydney.

I absolutley love this city, and I live in St George and went to schools in both St George and the Shire, which is hardly the cream of the crop of Sydney. I've got alot of friends who live out at St Marys and Blacktown, in Punchbowl and Milperra, Revesby and East Hills, and a fair few out in the South Western Suburbs like Ingelburn and Minto, so I have seen a fair bit of Sydney in detail. I've been to most other places too - Yes, Asqy, I've been to Hornsby ;) Mostly just passing through on my way up the Coast, but I've stopped once or twice. Northern Beaches, Hills District, Parra, City including Redfern, Eastern Suburbs --> I have seen just about all of Sydney -- the good and the bad -- and I would still say its one of the best Cities in the world.

Granted the only cities outside Australia I have been to are LA and San Diego, and the only thing I prefered over Sydney was the public transport. You put that aisde, and I couldn't wait to get home. Yes, we have 'no go' areas, we have the run down suburbs in the less savory parts of town, but so what? every single city has this! In LA, I stayed across the road from the Beverly Centre on Beverly Blvd, which was in a 'nice' part of LA. Got the metro bus 15 minutes away, down to Vermont/Beverly station and it was like I was in a whole other city, the change was amazing. (and, funly enough, the people were nicer downtown) Every city has this, it's good and it's bad parts.

Sydney, in my opinion, is over populated. Not in comparrison to say London, or Tokyo, but comparred to other Australian cities and regional Centres. In fact, the entire east coast is. So many people live in sydney and sydney can not support them forever. And while I am very hesitant in saying this, people should be prepared to move inland. But, like i said, I'm not sure I'd like this to happen simply because urbanisation inland would ruin what many towns and centres have. Can you imagine hundred of city slickers flocking to Broome? That place is beatiful and it would ruin it.

I don't agree with the Sydney bashing because it is a much better city compared to international counterparts, i loved growing up here and, as yet thorny, you have yet to put forward any real agruments stating otherwise.

The only drawback is public transport, which is shocking. I rely on it to get to work. Getting there at 6 in the morning is fine, it's more often that not, on time. Get pasted, say 9 am and you're in trouble. the 400 run that does Burwood to Bondi Junction via Rockdale, Airport and East Gardens is ALWAYS without a doubt, late. I catch it from Rockdale to the International Terminal, and coming back from there is hell. They are suppose to run every 20 minutes, but usually, you get 3 all at once every hour instead, thats if they decide to come in. They quite often will just bypass the aiport entirely to make up time. The Illawarra train line too, is pretty bad. On a good day, I'm waiting half an hour for trains that are suppose to run every ten minutes. I've waited over an hour a fair bit recently too. The Waterfall train is contsantly cancelled, which is a bit of a pain in the arse for me, but for anyone living on that side of Sutho, they have to wait at least 45 minutes for the next one, if it shows of course.

But, thats what you get having a moron like Michael Coster as the Transport Minister.

Wanker...

Generator

HSC
N/A
It's Costa, and he is far from being the one at fault... It's a little unfair to blame the current minister for years of mismanagement, dont you think?

Sydney and urban/suburban sprawl... It isn't that a big a problem given that most people within the city tend to like their space and want their own home with a backyard (but, then again, these people tend to be the silent majority rather than the vocal architect who never ventures west of Kirribilli). Besides, though a number of critics may take issue with the social isolation supposedly inherent within sprawling developments, one could also argue that it is more an issue of personal motivation (admittedly determined by means of access) than anything else... But when considering accessibility you must take into account public transport provision and its costs (to both the government and the people), the cost of running at least two cars per household, zoning issues, etc... Bah, far too many points to consider, so I'll just settle with the idea well-planned sprawl is fine, even though it isn't that common.

Just for the record, I believe that community involvement can be enhanced, not engineered, through planning practices. The idea of creating a number of urban villages throughout the city at large sounds promising, but it will only work if the residents themselves see it as a worthwhile process... As we all know, you may force a horse to the water, but you cannot make it drink.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
sorry mate, wasn't wuite sure how to spell it.

And no, it isn't fair to plave the blame on him, but I quite frankly don't like him, he gives off all the signs of being a total wanker. I know you shouldn't judge people you don't know, but humans are very judgemental creatures. It's quiet easy to put misplaced blame on people you don't like ;).

But lets face it, while he hasn't really been the sole cause of the problem, his solutions are a joke. Cancelling 3500 trains? Esspecially to non-major stations? how it that help? Trains that at the moment, only run every half an hour in off peak times, will be cut. In fact, alot of off peak to trains to both major and non will be cut. He needs to realise people in Sydney need trains outside Peak Hour, and they need to stop all the stations, not just the big ones.

Sure, my dislike is rather unjusified, (although, his stint as Police Minister wasn't one to be proud of. The service as a whole told him to butt out, even the Commissioner, Ken Moroney overruled him on several occassions because he was throwing his weight around and it was not appreciated.) but I do feel he and his department have, if anything, worsened the already failing NSW transport system...

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
In curious Asquithian, have you ever been to a DOH site? Have you ever seen how some people are forced to live. I doubt it. Your one of those people who will never try anything. You claim to stand up for peoples rights, but at the end of the day you just back down like the little bitch you are.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
Mate, I said my dislike of him was unjustified, that I just do not like the public image of the man. I can admit I judge him on the little I know of him, the attitude that he appears to have, and for that I do not like him. Like I said, I know it is not fair, but too bad. It's what I feel what what we feel isn't always logical.

Moreover, I agreed that the public transport crisis is not his fault alone, however, his department have only made the situation worse. Perhaps you should read my whole post rather than pick out the bits that suit you in future?

On the subject of Ken Moroney, yes, it was between 6 to 9 months that their positions overlaped, however the fact remained, the service including moroney collectivly told Costa to back off, because he was interfering in areas that politics should not be.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
I am merely saying a World Class city like Sydney shouldn't have its people sitting in shit homes and living off nothing.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
lengstar said:
what do people think about the large number of high rise apartments being built in proximity to train stations? is it a good thing or a bad thing?
i think its a simple solution to the problem of an increasing population and a non-healthy use of public transport. but, it is also turning most of sydney into a integrated concrete jungle, and putting pressure on the area's resources (electricity, water, energy) as there are obviously a much larger number of people living in an apartment complex than there would be if there were houses.

it encourages the use of public transport, but do we really want the future of sydney's suburbs to be botched with unsustainable concrete apartment blocks?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
From the cities i've been to... some in america, a few in europe... sydney is a great city, maybe it's just that i feel more at home here..

I have no problem walking thru redfern, and have done it several times..

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
i heard somewhere that the rail system is running at a loss because of pentioners getting transport for so cheap [ i think its for $2.20] yesterday i heard they are going to put the price up for pentioners to $2.50 will this make a considerable difference? or will it basically just be more money for the government to swindle isntead of using the money to fix the rail

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
lengstar said:
what do people think about the large number of high rise apartments being built in proximity to train stations? is it a good thing or a bad thing?
you should see europe and america

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)