• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Tablet PC and UNI (1 Viewer)

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
has anyone here used a tablet pc at uni...how practical is it...the way i see it its made for copying daigrams and stuff.

does anyone know of a centrino one with dual layer dvd burner and dedicated graphics...

thanx

cheaper the better

tempco

HSC
They're good. I have one and I had all my notes on my hard disk. Basically, PDF files can be converted to JNT files which you can write on.

As for one with dual-layer dvd + dedicated graphics, you'll be looking at a very steep price, as tablets aren't built as desktop replacements. Look around... Toshiba and Fujitsu are two good brands to check out.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
I've been considering a tablet for note taking as well, seeing my major is maths it would be a hassle to type all those symbols with a keyboard. While I haven't used one for such purposes yet, it would be just as practical as a normal sheet of paper, except with some screens it just doesn't have the same feel to it.

As for specs, I am aware of only four tablets with dedicated graphics. The Toshiba M4, which is very expensive in comparison with the competition, but its 6600TE is decent. The Toshiba M200 with its 5200 GPU, which is outdated, and I'm not sure whether it comes dual layer DVD writer. The Acer C200 and C300 are similar in specification with some design difference, the C300 is a conventional convertible while the C200 is a bit more unusual. Both are powered by the 6200 TurboCache, and not really serious gaming machines.

In the end, tablets aren't designed for games. So dedicated graphics is hard to find, and when it exist, will be some entry level GPU.

Tablets are generally more expensive and worse equipped than their laptop siblings. If you're willing to give up on the dedicated graphics, the Toshiba R10/15 has decent specifications for an alright price. But be prepared to see prices above $2500 for tablets in Australia.

Pharaohsam

HSC
Uni Grad
ok then waver the didcated graphics, and have a dvd reader/cd-writer combo drive...

also must be convertible to laptop

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't forget that the more stuff you add in, the bulkier and heavier it will become making it less and less practical to write on as a tablet.

I'm also considering purchasing a tablet or ultraportable PC at the moment. Ultraportable is a lot cheaper (<$2k for a decent <2kg Dell ultraportable 12.1" Centrino w/ DVDRW) but the practicality of having a stylus/pen to draw on the documents is also worth considering... but then I type considerably faster than I can write (145wpm). *shrugs*

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not I should go ultraportable or tablet? I'm doing Commerce so there's not really that much in terms of diagrams I don't think- but rather, I just need a way of organising my notes in a neat fashion which don't involve me using horrible writing in a notepad.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
If you can type everything up at a rapid rate, then a subportable is fine.

I only want a tablet because of all the symbols in maths and flowcharts etc in the biotech subjects.

As for a cheap tablet, check out the Toshiba R10. Alternatively you might be able to find the last generation Acer C300 at a reduced price, if you don't mind outdated equipment (Banias).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)