Tafe and Uni (1 Viewer)

Chang

HSC
Is it possible to attend both of these at the same time? I mean the tafe course i wanna do has class once every week and i plan to do this via distance education anyways.

Chang

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
No. It is illegal to do tafe and uni at the same time. If you try and enrol in both you will be arrested.
is it me or am i detecting a hint of sarcasm there

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i am. it's quite possible, but pretty hard to get motivated for the distant education, as i work on that during mid-semester/mid-year breaks (after a busy semester, when the last thing i feel like doing is more study...)

what courses are you looking at doing?

*edit* mind, the workload at uni will keep you busy, another course on top will possibly overwhelm you. Depends how keen (and organised) you are!

Last edited:

Chang

HSC
Im currently doing B science. I realise this aint gonna get me anywhere in life so im gonna apply for optical dispensing at tafe where if i graduate im pretty much guranteed job with nice pay.

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
i'm guessing that would be optical dispensing Cert IV? you could certainly give it a shot! :)

i did (or rather, am doing) business advertising to broaden my options as well. i didn't think just a BA in viscomm would be competitive enough. ^_^

go for it, if that's what you want - just realise that by doing so, it could get stressful with competing assignments etc.

Last edited:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Yes it is possible to do TAFE and uni at the same time, however it is quite a bit of work!

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i do my b education at acu and im doing an additional certificate in languages at macquarie (though it is as an external student and they mail me out my work... they have on campus tutorials every week which i go to)
i found that i do have the time to do it all.. as well as being in 2 dancing groups, having a casual job working 2-3 days a week and being a regular supporter for the KK SCU on thursday nights.. but i waste alot of time on the net which is why i may rush to finish my croatian assignments at last minute
id say go for it and see how organised you can be.. you can always drop it if things dont work out

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i know a few friends who are opting for this option of life, and its pretty hectic tho its good cuz ur multiskilling.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
You can go to TAFE for free even if you go uni as well. If you were a true AzN, you would know that I am referring to Youth Allowance. :)

Chang

HSC
well ideally id be able to drop uni altogether and go onto tafe. But this idea doesnt sit well with my parents, so tafe and uni is the next best option. Considering class is once a week and i have a friend who will be 1 yr ahead of me when i start the course i reckon id be able to handle the workload.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
What science degree? Your comment that a science degree won't get you anywhere in life is... interesting.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Chang said:
Im currently doing B science. I realise this aint gonna get me anywhere in life so im gonna apply for optical dispensing at tafe where if i graduate im pretty much guranteed job with nice pay.
Don't 'blame' the degree for your own inadequacies in what will be your post-uni life.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
Chang said:
Is it possible to attend both of these at the same time? I mean the tafe course i wanna do has class once every week and i plan to do this via distance education anyways.
I did a Masters at one uni, grad dip at another and a cert 4 at TAFE all at the same time without problem. It's your education you do whatever the heck you feel like paying for.

santaslayer

HSC
natstar said:
Why did you pick a science degree if you think its not going to lead you anywhere?
Probably because he had to entertain his parents with the idea he was going to uni.

klh

HSC
well than do any classes ever clash at uni and tafe? or liek do you do tafe PT?
and how doe sdistance work?
any links and stuff would be of help.
but of those who do attend a tafe campus, is is like uni or hs? lect/tute etc? ive heard tafe is flexible.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
klh said:
well than do any classes ever clash at uni and tafe? or liek do you do tafe PT?
and how doe sdistance work?
any links and stuff would be of help.
but of those who do attend a tafe campus, is is like uni or hs? lect/tute etc? ive heard tafe is flexible.
You can do TAFE courses via correspondence through OTEN or Open Learning.
For most TAFE classes, you would have a small class of no more than 30 people at most in my experience and while there is no separation between tutes and lectures like for uni, it is delivered in a different format to the 40 min periods at a high school. Some of my class at TAFE have been 4 hours in duration for example. TAFE is also extremely flexible with night time classes available, part time and an ILC(basically a tutor that is there for math, english or computer related subjects for free that is there 5 days a week at some places), finally you can also recieve advanced standing for a great deal of HSC subjects should you request(not just the VET ones).
Hope his answers your question.:)

Chang

HSC
santaslayer said:
Probably because he had to entertain his parents with the idea he was going to uni.
Thats pretty much the reason. Im only doing science coz thats the only course i could make it into. Personally, for me this course will get me nowhere compare to the tafe course in terms of wages. Not sure how much a science degree would get me, however a Cert IV in optical dispensing would get me 2-3k a week.

Anthrax

HSC
N/A
Chang said:
however a Cert IV in optical dispensing would get me 2-3k a week.
provided u find a job, unless u have family and such who can get u into the field easierly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)