Taj al-Din al-Hilali tells "Christian women to wear veils" (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
OUTSPOKEN Muslim cleric Taj al-Din al-Hilali says the Bible "mandates" the wearing of the veil by Christian women.

Writing in a new book, Sheik Hilali, who lost his job as mufti of Australia after comparing scantily clad women to uncovered meat, argues that the Bible and the Koran make similar demands of a woman's modesty.

Sheik Hilali, who remains the head of Australia's largest mosque, in the southwestern Sydney suburb of Lakemba, says the purpose of the book is to show the commonalities of Islam with the Jewish and Christian faiths when it comes to women's modesty and clothing.

In the soon to be published The Legitimacy of the Veil for Women of the Scripture - Evidence of the Veil in the Bible, the cleric points to references in the Old and New Testaments to women wearing a veil.

"Through this I hope to raise awareness and understanding and eliminate apprehensions and misunderstandings about the veil," he writes.

The Anglican Bishop of South Sydney, Robert Forsyth, challenged Sheik Hilali's comments about the veil being "mandated" in the Bible, saying they were misleading.

"The New Testament does call upon people to dress modestly," he said. "But there is no understanding that women are commanded to wear the veil. But it is mandated that you should dress appropriately for your social context."

Sheik Hilali also says the Virgin Mary is often depicted with a veil covering her head.

"The veil upholds the modesty and protects the dignity of women, whether Muslim or non-Muslim," he writes. "Wearing the veil creates the most realistic similarity with the Virgin Mary, the mother of Christ."

Sheik Hilali caused an uproar with a Ramadan sermon in 2006 in which he talked about immodestly dressed women being like "uncovered meat" and made remarks about Sydney's notorious gang rapes.

He has used the book to hit back at criticisms of his comments, which were given during a lesson to Muslim men and women on theft and adultery, and which he says were misinterpreted with "ill-intent" and with the intention to "slander" him.

He has included an "explanatory statement" to clarify his position, saying that rape is a heinous crime and the perpetrator deserves the maximum punishment. He also says women in Australia, or any Western society, have absolute freedom to wear whatever they like.

"The Muslim has no right to impose the rules of his religion on others. My religious duty is to advise the Muslim woman to be modest and to wear the Islamic dress. It is her choice whether to comply or not."

He said his comments about uncovered meat were drawn from an analogy used by the Arab writer Al-Rafii that uncovering flesh publicly may be degrading to the woman and may make her vulnerable to those with a diseased heart.

"Through these words I wanted to protect women from rapists who have lost their humanity, lost their minds and religion.

"Whilst I believe that the rapists are responsible for their crimes, I wanted to protect my daughters by encouraging them to adopt all available lawful means of protection," he writes.

Sheik Hilali concedes that the uncovered meat example was not correct or appropriate for the Western mentality.

"I did not mean this analogy to denigrate immodestly dressed women; rather I meant to denigrate those men who set aside their humanity and turn into predators."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23599263-421,00.html
Cover up you Christians :rofl:

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Many women from conservative Christian movements do cover their heads.

The same can be said about Jewish women, who in some more orthodox movements cover their hair if married.

As for the Virgin Mary wearing a veil, that was 2000 years ago. Will he next be telling Christians to dress as Jesus is depicted in a robe? Much of it was the fashion of the time and not what Jesus taught Christians to dress as - he simply taught to dress modestly.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
JaredR said:
Some women from some conservative Christian movements do cover their head.

X

xeuyrawp

JaredR said:

The same can be said about Jewish women, who in some more orthodox movements cover their hair if married.

As for the Virgin Mary wearing a veil, that was 2000 years ago. Will he next be telling Christians to dress as Jesus is depicted in a robe? Much of it was the fashion of the time and not what Jesus taught Christians to dress as - he simply taught to dress modestly.
I'd like to see what actual evidence he presents.

As you point out, like all the women of that area, mother Mary would have covered her head simply as part of her cultural norms. Hell, even men frequently wore something over their head. And both still do... I'm seriously waiting for Arabs to discover the hoodie - it would solve half their problems at once.

That being said, we all know that a lot of these rules (written or otherwise) were relevant at the time. This is exactly the same as the kosher traditional bullshit which Jewish people cling onto like dear life. I laugh every time I see one of those two-handled hand washing thingos - haven't you people discovered antiseptic soap? Or, do you simply think that these rules, which were clearly written for practical means, are to be taken religiously?

I just think it's funny; a Jew criticising a Muslim for saying 'we should do what they did', when you guys (illogically) do the same thing under the pretense of religious traditions.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
who cares what the guy says, no Christian women is going to listen

Aryanbeauty

HSC
PwarYuex said:
That being said, we all know that a lot of these rules (written or otherwise) were relevant at the time. This is exactly the same as the kosher traditional bullshit which Jewish people cling onto like dear life. I laugh every time I see one of those two-handled hand washing thingos - haven't you people discovered antiseptic soap? Or, do you simply think that these rules, which were clearly written for practical means, are to be taken religiously?

I just think it's funny; a Jew criticising a Muslim for saying 'we should do what they did', when you guys (illogically) do the same thing under the pretense of religious traditions.
I'm yet to find a jewish religious leader telling non jews to follow jeiwsh religious dress code :lol:

Gay Captain

HSC
On the balance of things I honestly think Paul probably despised women (in his writings) a little more than Mohammed did.

At least Mohammed enjoyed the company of all his wives, Paul wrote words to the effect of "a decent man won't touch women at all, but the second best thing to do is get married so at least you won't be lusting after anyone" :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Aryanbeauty said:
I'm yet to find a jewish religious leader telling non jews to follow jeiwsh religious dress code :lol:
his not telling them to wear veils. his telling christian women that he found evidence in the bible to wear a veil

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
kaz1 said:
his not telling them to wear veils. his telling christian women that he found evidence in the bible to wear a veil
implying that they should wear veils...

Gay Captain

HSC
Christians don't follow the Bible, only the true parts of the Bible that Jesus said were true, the rest is just a metaphor for holding hands and being friends.

The true parts are the parts the individual Christian picks to be true D:

Gay Captain

HSC
No no he abolished Judaism, now Jews are evil
Well he never actually said he abolished Judaism
But it's the vibe!

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
I honestly really think that what he's doing is merely just trying to show that the 3 religions share/ used to share some similarities betwee them. He's not "telling" christian women to wear or do anything.

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC
Jews were and still are evil. You think of the reasons why Hiter wanted them gone.
Damn he failed. Damn I say.

Ba'al Shem Tov

يهوه هو الرب
HSC
N/A
In related news

In Padang, capital of the province of West Sumatra, the atmosphere is increasingly that of an Islamic state. Female students who do not wear the headscarf (hijab) are frequently suspended from school. The requirement to observe Islamic customs, sanctioned by the controversial regional law of 2005, is also imposed on non-Muslim girls, and has generated an atmosphere of strong pressure on religious minorities. The proliferation of local laws inspired by sharia (perda syariat) is a growing phenomenon in Indonesia, but the central government has chosen not to intervene for now, in spite of protests from religious minorities and human rights NGO's.

The situation is not limited to Padang alone, where the most active promoter of Islamic laws is the mayor himself, Fauzi Bahar. In this province, which has an overwhelming Muslim majority, since 2002 more than 19 districts have ratified the so-called "perda syariat", norms that are, however, supposed to be applied only to Muslim citizens: some of them criminalise behaviours prohibited by Islamic law, like adultery, prostitution, games of chance, and consumption of alcohol, while others restrict the freedom of women. Men as well are required to wear Islamic dress: the traditional white robe called the "koko".

The application of the headscarf law in Padang is going beyond all imaginable limits, the inhabitants of the area say. An anonymous Catholic young woman admits: "Wearing the headscarf is not pleasant for me at all, and it bothers me while I am studying in school". Other female students in various schools complain about the same thing. If they are interviewed by journalists, the young women ask not be named, because they are afraid of "being persecuted by fundamentalists". "We have to adapt", they say, "we have no choice, otherwise they will send us home". Sudarto, one of the members of a local NGO that works for interreligious dialogue, reports that the headscarf law is applied strictly in at least four schools in Padang.

Other residents report with concern that since 2003 in Padang, mayor Fauzi has moved forward "enthusiastically" the project of "creating a more Islamic atmosphere" in the city. Among the other norms inspired by sharia, they recall the obligation for students in the elementary schools to learn the Qur'an by heart.
http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&art=12098&size=A

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
theshortykatt said:
everyone that was a believer back then was a Jew.

all i know is that the answer is no.
i can find out the reasons it if you really want to know.
oh you are refering to my previous post where i said Jesus was a Jew. therefore Christians should be Jewish. It was suppose to be scarcastic more than it was ment to be literal i.e. topic where it MAry wore a veil therefore Christian women should wear a veil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)