Task 1 (1 Viewer)

santaslayer

HSC
Was wondering if we're going to be getting anymore information about task 1??

My Partner and I are trying to make a start on the presentation... But after reading through Task 1's information, we're feeling a bit lost...
Some of the information given seems a bit vague... At least to us confused people
Some problems we've been having:

Ok... So we're trying to create a module, that reads The electtronic book... Containing
solve :: RoomID -> [ChoiceID]
How do you input the RoomID (it's an integer right?) into the module your writing in the first place?

Also with the code for that spooky house book
module BookData (PageID, ChoiceID,
bookTitle, pageText, next, choiceCount, choiceText,
success, pageImage, choiceImage) where

What does the stuff in the brackets represent?
Functions you've imported? Functions you created that are defined later down the code?
If they are, Why Do you need to put them inside the brackets?

And in the bit on the wiki that explains what we're supposed to do in the presentation, what is this line
"how the BookData module defines the book"
actually asking you to do. Like what is ment by "defines"
BTW: How much information are we supposed to be presenting to our tutorials? (I mean detailed enough so as to tell them exactly how to go about the assignment or something??)

Are we panicking too much and trying to understand the task too deeply? Are we supposed to basically be able to do the task already? Or are we going to get some more pointers on it later?

I know... a lotta questions...

sunny

meh.
HSC
These are pretty specific questions. You would have better luck using the 1011/1711 forum, or you could go to the teaching consults.

Richard tends to go over the assignments in some more detail during lectures if there is general confusion.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
How do you input the RoomID (it's an integer right?) into the module your writing in the first place?
Well, you can load up ghci and do

ghci > solve blah

Where blah is some number (room ID). Of course, this is after you implement the function.

Also with the code for that spooky house book
module BookData (PageID, ChoiceID,
bookTitle, pageText, next, choiceCount, choiceText,
success, pageImage, choiceImage) where
Richard's giving you that module, and that notation just basically means the stuff (function and data types) exported from the module, that you can access and use. Seems like you are to use those interface functions, as those functions determines the book itself.

"how the BookData module defines the book"
actually asking you to do. Like what is ment by "defines"
Since the book module itself contains the book. module BookData's function: next, choiceCount and success contains hard-coded structure of the book, so which BookData module you import determines everything.

disclaimer : not academic advise

And yeah, you coulda posted this on the 1711 forum.. or migrate everyone there here ;) Good luck, fellow class of 2010 ;)

grimreaper

HSC
I dont even know where to start with this assignment, having pretty much no previous programming experience. Hopefully we go through more stuff to help with it in this weeks lectures.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
In that case, it's best to actually muck around with haskell, do the labs early, read up some haskell tutorial on the web. You learn programming best by doing.

sunny

meh.
HSC
§eraphim said:
what is the cse award?
There was an email sent out from Brad to all-students and cse-annouce couple of days ago.

Congratulations to all the best performing students for 2004!

Each student will receive a certificate, and the top three will have there names added to the plaques on level 1 of K17. The top three will receive their certificates at the CSE annual awards evening, the others after that event.

This award is to identify our best computing students, regardless of Program and other Courses in the standard WAM calculations.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Theres different categories...pretty much separates the years.

Highest total COMP1011/COMP1711 + COMP1021/COMP1721 mark by an undergraduate who took COMP1021/COMP1721 in 2004 and took COMP1011 in 2004 or 2003 and have completed <= 36 units of their degree (including transfer credits) prior to 2004.
Best WAM for any 18 units of COMP courses completed in 2004 excluding COMP1 courses by an undergraduate who has completed <= 72 units of their degree (including transfer credits) prior to 2004.
Best WAM for any 24 units of COMP courses completed in 2004 excluding COMP1, COMP2 courses by an undergraduate who has completed > 72 units and <= 128 units of their degree (including transfer credits) prior to 2004.
Best WAM for (COMP|SENG|BINF)4911 plus any 12 units of COMP completed in 2004 excluding COMP1, COMP2 courses by an undergraduate.

GaZ_2004

HSC
grimreaper said:
I dont even know where to start with this assignment, having pretty much no previous programming experience. Hopefully we go through more stuff to help with it in this weeks lectures.
grim i guess we r on the same boat.... i dun have a clue where 2 start or begin i got absolutely no programin experience...lol o wells i hope richard explains it more... but its good 2 here sum1 is on the same boat as me i even considered droppin to computin cuz i didnt have a clue...

sunny

meh.
HSC
Do not worry about whether you have programming experience or not. In Higher 1A using Haskell normal programming experience doesn't really help. As a matter of fact if you are a non programmer you might be better off in Higher 1A than those who aren't non programmers.

frazzle

HSC
oh man, who ARE you people? I'm sure I know you, but yeah, bloody internet anonymity... I'm Julia.

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
redslert said:
btw underthesun congrats on getting the cse award :)
Thanks too! I think putting a "sun" on your name certainly helps :p

I wonder which one is sunny... probably should try guess myself, but yeah :D

oh man, who ARE you people? I'm sure I know you, but yeah, bloody internet anonymity... I'm Julia.
Be thankful they dont force you to use your real name in the 1711 forums.. Certainly anonymity has been good for me last semester :p all my stupid and foolish sounding posts..

doingHSC

HSC
underthesun said:
Be thankful they dont force you to use your real name in the 1711 forums.. Certainly anonymity has been good for me last semester :p all my stupid and foolish sounding posts..
In that case, is it feasible to change ur name?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)