Tax Invoice and Advice of Enrollment (1 Viewer)

Darkenedjib

HSC
Did everyone else received this payment letter today? It has listed the units for the AUT period (b.computing) and a payment amount of $2632.80. I noticed this was 80% of the "assessed amount" ($3291.00).

For Commonwealth support I chose "fee help with initial payment" when enrolling, is this payment a standard procedure or have I made a error with the enrollment? If this payment for Aut period has to be paid upfront, would fee help take place for future units?

Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated :).

HSC
I got that kind of letter too! I only wanted to pay a $500 or so contribution... I tried to call and ask, but their lines are busy and I have work so :confused: I remain for now.

placebo

HSC
Hi there!

The invoice has three different amounts listed on it.

1) The Payment Amount - This is the amount if you choose to pay all of the HECS cost up front. If you do this you get a 20% discount. That is why the amount is 20% less than the assessed amount.

2) The Assessed Amount - The assessed amount is the amount you will pay if you defer the entire amount. This the 100% HECS price with no discount.

3) Payment Due - This is the amount you have to pay. It should say $0.00. This amount use to have the Student Union fees, however they are voluntary so you do not need to pay anything if you dont want.

If on enrollment you have selected party payment you can still do this. Any payments you make over $500 will get a discount of 10%. This is not shown on your invoice as you can make an payment from between $500 (the min. amount to get a discount) and the entire full payment amount (which would attract the higher 20% discount).

You have until the census date (31st March) to make any payment you like. Even though you have ticked the box for part payment, as long as you have provided your tax-file-number you can defer the entire amount if you want too. The important thing to remember is 1) any amount you want to pay do it before the census date and you will get the 10% discount.

Hope that explains it a bit. If not you can always call the uni's enrollment line who are really helpful with this stuff.

Anyother questions, i will try and help with!

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:
L

LaraB

= Jennifer = said:
wow i got mine ages ago like last month
me too

probably just newbies who are gettin it n ow since we enrolled ages ago

Gerr

HSC
ok so wait. . we dont have to pay it if we are doing that hecs thing?

L

LaraB

Gerr said:
ok so wait. . we dont have to pay it if we are doing that hecs thing?
correct - that's teh whole point of hecs :p

you can pay if you want to but you can let it accrue instead

Darkenedjib

HSC
Hey kudos for the helpful response ;). Whew I was wondering if the was an error with the enrollment, but it looks like I'm not alone...

Gerr

HSC
Sooo i can hide it in some box and come for it in like 2010 :?

Darkenedjib

HSC
Gerr said:
Sooo i can hide it in some box and come for it in like 2010 :?
I'm still kinda confused re: this, it actually states the minimum payment as "$2632.80", and I'm positive of selecting "Hecs with initial payment" while enrolling... does it say the same on yours?

L

LaraB

Darkenedjib said:
I'm still kinda confused re: this, it actually states the minimum payment as "$2632.80", and I'm positive of selecting "Hecs with initial payment" while enrolling... does it say the same on yours?
Ok... i can see why you're all confused...

but to save further confusion here's what you do -

If you selected HECS and don't want to pay any up front to get the "discount" IGNORE ANY AMOUNTS ON THE INVOICE! Only check to make sure your units are correct.

If you want to pay a small amount up front you can - they offer a sort of "discount" to encourage you to do so - for more info see the pamphlets/websites you got around academic advising times etc as far as how to go about this. Or go to this website for more info: http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm. If you're really unsure, go in and speak to someone at the uni to make sure you're going about it the right way.

Regardless of whether you opted to pay some, all or no HECS up front, it will still have the "minimum payment" bit on it.

From my understanding, i may be wrong, that's just the base rate that the actual course costs and then they add on the "interest" (and yes i know its not interest but for simplicity sake i'm caklling it that lol) on top of it and that's the amount that accures that you'd pay if you waited - that's part of the incentive of paying up front, you don' have as much "interest" because the "minimum payment" amount reduces.

(enigma)

no soup for you
HSC
Darkenedjib said:
dont worry, i got the same thing. looks like they sned you one like that if you said you were going to make any payment up front.

ok so i took a little too long to post that lol.

j_davo24

HSC
marzbar said:
I got that kind of letter too! I only wanted to pay a $500 or so contribution... I tried to call and ask, but their lines are busy and I have work so :confused: I remain for now.
If you can afford to pay the $500 upfront it is a good idea, as this still entitles you to receive the 20% discount. You then only accrue the difference of the smaller amount and not the whole HECS total.

So if you can afford $500 upfront then it is a good idea to pay this.

placebo

HSC
j_davo24 said:
If you can afford to pay the $500 upfront it is a good idea, as this still entitles you to receive the 20% discount.
paying amounts of $500 or more, but less than the full amount will only get a 10%, not 20%.

A 20% discout is only available if you pay the full amount.

j_davo24

HSC
placebo said:
paying amounts of $500 or more, but less than the full amount will only get a 10%, not 20%.

A 20% discout is only available if you pay the full amount.
Fair enough, my mistake. Still 10% is better than nothing isnt it?

Khmerunited

HSC
hope this help again...

You have until the census date (31st March) to make any payment you like. Even though you have ticked the box for part payment, as long as you have provided your tax-file-number you can defer the entire amount if you want too. The important thing to remember is 1) any amount you want to pay do it before the census date and you will get the 10% discount.

tkfkd

HSC
Gosh I'm so new at this things. I registered to have $500 or more up front and have the government pay the rest (HECS) but I didn't get any letter or confirmation. (I do have declaration history in my enrollment section)

Is this normal or were you suppose to get the letter?

Thanks in advance :D

Darkenedjib

HSC
Khmerunited said:
hope this help again...
Do you know where we're supposed to pay the upfront amount? Is it at the stduent centre, or orientation, or using the struction on the payment letter (which doesn't mention HECs...) Thanks.

Btw B.Computing seems to be theo nly course having orientation on the 20th... see you guys there tomorrow :).

Jaron2005

HSC
Ah Did I do something wrong? because I also havn't receive any letter telling me to pay for anything?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)