tax rebate? (1 Viewer)

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
hi how do I claim tax rebate and is there any thing I need from my employer to to make claim. I worked only during holidays and I earned less than $ 6000 during that time.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
You'll need to lodge a return if you earnt more than $13xx (there's some magical number in that area on the ATO website).

You'd WANT to lodge a return if you paid any tax whatsoever.

Your employer has to send a group certificate (summary of all monies paid to you and tax withheld) to all employees, regardless how much they earnt. My first job as a lifeguard involved only 4 (short) shifts giving me $300 or so. Didn't pay any tax, but was sent one anyway.

(needless to say, I didn't claim anything)

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea, stuck with it as well. i think i paid something like $200 for tax this year, not much, but still want it back.

those who have done it before, when should you lodge it by and how long does your employer have to send you the group certificate?

Black Hawker

HSC
Excalibur_ said:
You'll need to lodge a return if you earnt more than $13xx (there's some magical number in that area on the ATO website).

You'd WANT to lodge a return if you paid any tax whatsoever.

Your employer has to send a group certificate (summary of all monies paid to you and tax withheld) to all employees, regardless how much they earnt. My first job as a lifeguard involved only 4 (short) shifts giving me $300 or so. Didn't pay any tax, but was sent one anyway.

(needless to say, I didn't claim anything)
Well, do yhey sent the group certificate even if you don't work there anymore, but had worked there during that financial year?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Well, do yhey sent the group certificate even if you don't work there anymore, but had worked there during that financial year?
They will send it to the address they had on file when you worked with them.

Black Hawker

HSC
mr_brightside said:
They will send it to the address they had on file when you worked with them.
Approximately when would they send it? In my payslips there is a Year To Day Tax part. Is that it?

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Black Hawker said:
Approximately when would they send it? In my payslips there is a Year To Day Tax part. Is that it?
Depends how big the organization is. I've already got mine in front of me because my boss did it over the weekend.
Some companies could take a couple of weeks.

The Year to Day Tax is just what you have been taxed so far. It's probably not the right thing to use. Ask your employer when you will get your Group cert if you are that concerned

dodgyfilokid

HSC
umm if you want to get back all the tax you paid during the financial year then lodge your tax return. since your below 6000 you cant claim any additional deductions apart from any fees your employer deducted such as union fees..if you claim additional deductions and your below 6000 you do so at your own risk..the ato loves to give refunds but down the track it will become sus once it tracks down your previous tax records and finds anythin illogical with your return...this is the reason y its legally required for you to keep any records of income and dealings with the ato for seven years.
The GC does state how much you earned in the financial year before tax..it also seperate your deductions into tax and other employer deductions. Its only after 6000 that other deductions not shown on the gc can be claimed eg. laundry, work equipment etc. but then again its advised that u exercise caution in claimin additonal deductions..dont make it exceed 300 bucks or 150 for laundry or else u will get in trouble wit ato

dodgyfilokid

HSC
politik said:
Incorrect.

You can actually claim deductions if you've earning under $6K, you just won't get any offsets for them.
kool thnx for d correction..i obviously dunno everythin bout d damn way tax returns are processed and stuff...and yes the low income offset does kick in after 6k till 30k.,.its an extra 250 i think

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
Do I have to ask for group certificate or will they be automatically sent to me? BTW I worked at woolworths ltd.

I already downloaded the tax return software and since my income is less than $ 6000, does that mean I will get back all the taxes that have been deducted from my pay? If thats true then I'll be about $ 1000 richer :D

Emmy-Lou**1989

HSC
My income for this year was <$6000 (about $4500) and I paid $66 tax which i assumed i would get back because i don't earn enough to pay tax...

but when i completed my tax return and lodged it over the phone they told me that i have a $1352 bill???

I don't understand why i have a bill...can anyone explain it?

kalli

HSC
Emmy-Lou**1989 said:
My income for this year was <$6000 (about $4500) and I paid $66 tax which i assumed i would get back because i don't earn enough to pay tax...

but when i completed my tax return and lodged it over the phone they told me that i have a $1352 bill???

I don't understand why i have a bill...can anyone explain it?
Have you lodged any tax returns previously? What were the outcomes of them?
Maybe you got fined for something?
Best to ask them to explain it to you - it might be a mistake...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)