Teacher help please (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Anyone know of RateMyTeachers Australia? Well, who actually uses it, and how?
Did anyone actually catch that 7News news report (here's the school that was apparently featured)?

Okay, so what should one do if one has problems with one's teacher, say, if they are failing to teach a substantial amount of content, if the teacher affects an impression of a bumbling, (somewhat) ineffectual person with some random (not to mention, dubious) Uni degree, or if one has a problem with his/her teacher's teaching methods?

(I posted this here, because it particularly applies specifically to 08 apparently...:confused: Oh yeah, I'm also an 08'er, and so what should one do?)

Thoughts please, and thanks.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Depends of your in the private or public system. In a private system, your complaints are taken more seriously (not in all cases) but due to the lack of teachers in the public school system, the teachers are more "valuable" and less likely to be delt with by the school. The website is a place where students can express their opinion towards a school. If you have a problem with a teacher, send the school an anonymous letter adressing your problem. Remeber, every school has dodgy teachers

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
So what is actually your question?

If you are having a problem with a teacher go to the head teacher (or higher authority) and tell them exactly what is happening and take it from there, not some random website that will probably cause more trouble then it's worth.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Lucid Scintilla said:
Anyone know of RateMyTeachers Australia? Well, who actually uses it, and how?
Did anyone actually catch that 7News news report (here's the school that was apparently featured)?

Okay, so what should one do if one has problems with one's teacher, say, if they are failing to teach a substantial amount of content,

Speak to the Head of the Department of that teacher with a copy of the syllabus in your hands showing what has been taught and what is left to be taught - don't use a text book but the syllabus. In otherwords check out what actually has to be taught and speak up.

if the teacher affects an impression of a bumbling, (somewhat) ineffectual person with some random (not to mention, dubious) Uni degree, or if one has a problem with his/her teacher's teaching methods?
What uni gives a 'dubious' degree? Is this your opinion of the degree or do you have some grounds for this accusation?

As for the teaching methods - all teachers have different methods. What methods are being used? Is is only you who isn't learning or the whole class (it is not unusual for a teacher to have trouble teaching a student but another teacher to be able to teach that same student).

(I posted this here, because it particularly applies specifically to 08 apparently...:confused: Oh yeah, I'm also an 08'er, and so what should one do?)

Thoughts please, and thanks.
Do not approach the school annymously. What you are saying is serious for you and you should talk to the teacher concerned, the Head of Department and, if not happy then, the Principal.

Approach these people in a calm manner with evidence to support your arguments. e.g. take the syllabus and show what has been taught and what, you believe, should have been done in first term Year 11 (they should be about 1/3 of the way through the syllabus). Remember though that in many syllabi you don't have to do everything list - not knowing the subject I am generalising here.

You are a senior student whose opinions should be listened to but be calm and reasonable. Maybe the teacher concerned doesn't realise that you are having trouble with their teaching methods.

If you write an annymous note not much can be done as no one will know who is having the problem and therefore which student needs help.

-pari-

HSC
N/A
if you're referring to 'cem', i believe she is a teacher. :) history.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
I hope that is sarcasm, as the teachers on this forum are very helpful.

HSC
N/A
cem said:
What uni gives a 'dubious' degree? Is this your opinion of the degree or do you have some grounds for this accusation?
It's not an accusation, and I know that you know that.
I was merely stating an opinion, not that of mine, but that of a great many of my peers.

Of course, "dubious" degree is a joke. You cannot possibly be accepted as a teacher if you do not have any training at all.
As for the teaching methods - all teachers have different methods. What methods are being used? Is is only you who isn't learning or the whole class (it is not unusual for a teacher to have trouble teaching a student but another teacher to be able to teach that same student).
Odd teaching methods, or lack of, perhaps?
No, it isn't only me.
I should have said "a friend of a friend of mine", huh?
Speak to the Head of the Department of that teacher with a copy of the syllabus in your hands showing what has been taught and what is left to be taught - don't use a text book but the syllabus. In otherwords check out what actually has to be taught and speak up.
Ok.
Approach these people in a calm manner with evidence to support your arguments. e.g. take the syllabus and show what has been taught and what, you believe, should have been done in first term Year 11 (they should be about 1/3 of the way through the syllabus). Remember though that in many syllabi you don't have to do everything list - not knowing the subject I am generalising here.
Oh my, that's a lot of courses that I should be griping about, then.

In any case, I have found your suggestions most practical and helpful. Thank you very much.
pritnep said:
If you are having a problem with a teacher go to the head teacher (or higher authority) and tell them exactly what is happening and take it from there, not some random website that will probably cause more trouble then it's worth.
Okay. Heeded. Thanks.

Is it viable for one to use it as a guide, though? For sure, you don't/shouldn't use it to publish "messages of hate", but that's apparently what they allow (oddly enough).

Okay, the essence of this is, "It's already been a term, and I am among those who feel that we have not been taught as well, as much as we should. Now, there is another teacher who teaches this subject, but on a different line. Would you say that it is worth messing up the timetables just to get out of this class?"

(Could this actually be a serious discussion?)
simonloo said:
EEEK!!! GET OFF THE FORUMS!
I reckon we should get off the forums too...
tamaranadine said:
i know! I hate teachers on bos!
I don't see why you'd need to hate them; though, they apparently have their own board, boredofteaching or something...
Bah...

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well I am going to assume you haven't confronted the teacher or headteacher about this nothing will change until you do that. Teachers get the message pretty quickly when students complain to higher powers and then the teachers get pulled up themselves.

HSC
N/A
pritnep said:
Well I am going to assume you haven't confronted the teacher or headteacher about this nothing will change until you do that. Teachers get the message pretty quickly when students complain to higher powers and then the teachers get pulled up themselves.
Okay, I got the idea. Complain to the Headteacher of the particular department. Thank you very, very, very much pritnep and cem.

How's 'secessio' as a mode through which you get attention, though?
:lol:

OK, thanks.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
secessio?

Well sorry but there isn't much else that can be done until you complain and they reck I know it's not very helpful advice but these things have a course of action they must take.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
You might like to talk to the teacher first. If it doesnt work, confront the head teacher. If necessary, go to your deputy principal.

HSC
N/A
secessio?

Well sorry but there isn't much else that can be done until you complain and they reck I know it's not very helpful advice but these things have a course of action they must take.
Secessio (plebis) is the walking en masse out of plebeians. Its function was to upset ancient Roman society, as the majority of people were plebs, who did more or less all the work, and so the patricians would have to alter the "constitution" or bend to the plebs' will.
Kujah said:
You might like to talk to the teacher first. If it doesnt work, confront the head teacher. If necessary, go to your deputy principal.
Okay, thanks.

Most of this thread is no longer warranted, really... in fact, this is probably entirely hypothetical. I'm not too sure, actually. Take it for what you will, but thanks all.

PrettyVacant

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Secessio (plebis) is the walking en masse out of plebeians. Its function was to upset ancient Roman society, as the majority of people were plebs, who did more or less all the work, and so the patricians would have to alter the "constitution" or bend to the plebs' will.
Okay, thanks.
Oh Lucid... :bomb:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)