Teacher Pay Increases (1 Viewer)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
justify it...

and you cant say i 'think' they deserve more.
'cause its what Im worth, its what I studied 8 years for, its what I have worked 10 years for (including all the really bad stuff that occurs in school that you obviously have no idea about) and its what I have taken industrial action over....! (thats my justification)

*not aimed at anyone in particular*
Its been interesting reading some of the comments in this thread. Its amazing how either a bad experience at school becomes reality or people actually believe the political hype. I can remember when nurses and doctors were the bad guys in society but now.....
I supoose the saying "ignorance is bliss" is sort of appropriate at this stage.
BTW thanks to all those who have offered support. I and my colleagues appreciate it.
/flame away.....

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
:uhhuh: I agree with the first half definately.

Yeah, sometimes a single bad experience at school with crap classes, wrong subject, "crap" teachers tend to blur our perception of their worth....

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
:uhhuh: I agree with the first half definately.

Yeah, sometimes a single bad experience at school with crap classes, wrong subject, "crap" teachers tend to blur our perception of their worth....
could say the same about bad students and trust me, there are more bad students than there are bad teachers...
lol
Interesting you lump bad classes and wrong subject choices in there..didnt know this was the fault of the teacher (well maybe the bad classes...but then, we are not paid to do the job of 'your'-not yours but you know what I mean- parents when it comes to discipline and old fashioned manners!)

BTW: you shouldnt let a single experience dictate anything...if this was the case, no-one would leave their homes!! :)

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
It isnt the teacher's fault of course, but when you're an irrational teenager, if you get thrown in the wrong class, it somehow automatically becomes the teachers fault. Dont ask. I don't get it either but I've heard enough classmates whine about it to know that it is all too prevalent.

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
based on what?

Your parents saying they care?

The thread cannot be argued anymore.

One side is off in fairyland of make believe while the other thinks they have no idea about the toughness of the job of teaching.
LOL....so which side are you on?
*sigh*

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
hmmm...thats not what your post implied!
Oh well, to each their own...so long as you are comfortable with your opinion and willing to lambast anyone else with a different one!!
:p

400miles

Asquithian said:
based on what?

Your parents saying they care?

The thread cannot be argued anymore.

One side is off in fairyland of make believe while the other thinks they have no idea about the toughness of the job of teaching.
I was basing it off my opinion... Same as what your question was based on... I do agree though that this thread can't be argued anymore... I think what's going to be said has been said and that it's all over... We'll have to agree to disagree

craz

HSC
Of course I'd have to say that teachers and other occupations alike are different, pays and salary and what they have to do are all very different. I agree that some teachers are not suited to the job and that they do get a number of benefits. However, I think a majority of teachers deserve a pay rise because look at what they have to put up with, whining kids, writing reports and all the stress that goes with it and a lot of them put their heart into. I'm all for teachers to get more...

400miles

As both asqy and myself pointed out though, this argument is not going to go anywhere because it's too hard for either of us to compare without having an intimate knowledge of the other profession. That is, I don't think you have the capacity to judge whether the working environment for a teacher is easier than a plumber. It depends on who you are, I suppose.

But yeah, all these arguments have been said many many many MANY times before and it's not going anywhere.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
HOW THEY COMPARE (SMH) (c/o my business studies assignment)
TEACHER Starting salary $46,235Holidays 10-11 weeks a year. (Doesn’t include training days, or supervision of activities such as sport, trips etc.)

NURSE Starting salary $39,911Holidays 4 weeks a year (with three extra weeks possible depending on shifts worked)

POLICE CONSTABLE Starting salary $43,388Holidays 6 weeks a year

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
but why do you compare with the jobs that are obviously underpaid and not with the jobs that are overpaid?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
well taking it to the very extreme, actors. i know they work basically 24-7 but that doesn't justify millions of dollars.

400miles

Iron woman said:
TEACHER Starting salary $46,235Holidays 10-11 weeks a year. (Doesn’t include training days, or supervision of activities such as sport, trips etc.)

NURSE Starting salary $39,911Holidays 4 weeks a year (with three extra weeks possible depending on shifts worked)

POLICE CONSTABLE Starting salary $43,388Holidays 6 weeks a year
Yeah, I don't understand the point though... they're all underpaid jobs... they all deserve a pay rise...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
400miles said:
Yeah, I don't understand the point though... they're all underpaid jobs... they all deserve a pay rise...
which is what i said, people constantly try to compare teachers with other low paid jobs that shoudl also be heading for a rise!

Ribbon

Libra Swords said:
Okay.....this is how I see it......

The Lawyers will rip you off and lie to you.
I am sick of people with attitudes like this - and its not just because I am studying law :p

I have a close family member who struggling to keep her own small business afloat, couldn't afford insurance and fell prey to a money grubbing bitch trying to squeeze some $$ on a frivilous negligence suit. I recomended she go to a lawyer who I did work experience with (he was always very nice and genuinely seemed interested in teaching me, and would always listen to and answer my stupid questions) so she did, and he took on the case knowing she would probably never be able to pay him. In the end the case settled for 30k half to be paid by her and half by another party. In her financial situation even 15k would send her bankrupt, loose her house (heavily mortgaged), car ect. Knowing this the lawyer offered to pay the settlement as an interest free loan. I am sure he knows he will not be seeing his $$ for a very long time.

I have NEVER met a teacher who has done so much for someone, and I am sure she is not the only person to be on the recieving end of his benevolence, because when I was on work expeirence I asked in relation to a case where he was helping a drug addicted couple regain custody of thier child (organising with the court that they could have the child on the condition that they have weekly tests that show up no drugs ect.) how he was ever going to get paid by these people and he just told me he will send them the bill but knows they won't be able to pay and doesn't really expect to ever see any money from them.

In regards to the doctor who wrongly prescribes medicine? Do you think they get kicks out of giving someone the wrong medicine? They are human beings and make mistakes. Teachers make mistakes too...

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Ribbon said:
I am sick of people with attitudes like this - and its not just because I am studying law :p

I have a close family member who struggling to keep her own small business afloat, couldn't afford insurance and fell prey to a money grubbing bitch trying to squeeze some $$ on a frivilous negligence suit. I recomended she go to a lawyer who I did work experience with (he was always very nice and genuinely seemed interested in teaching me, and would always listen to and answer my stupid questions) so she did, and he took on the case knowing she would probably never be able to pay him. In the end the case settled for 30k half to be paid by her and half by another party. In her financial situation even 15k would send her bankrupt, loose her house (heavily mortgaged), car ect. Knowing this the lawyer offered to pay the settlement as an interest free loan. I am sure he knows he will not be seeing his $$ for a very long time.

I have NEVER met a teacher who has done so much for someone, and I am sure she is not the only person to be on the recieving end of his benevolence, because when I was on work expeirence I asked in relation to a case where he was helping a drug addicted couple regain custody of thier child (organising with the court that they could have the child on the condition that they have weekly tests that show up no drugs ect.) how he was ever going to get paid by these people and he just told me he will send them the bill but knows they won't be able to pay and doesn't really expect to ever see any money from them.

In regards to the doctor who wrongly prescribes medicine? Do you think they get kicks out of giving someone the wrong medicine? They are human beings and make mistakes. Teachers make mistakes too...
You are joking right.....
(not speaking as a teacher just an interested lurker)
You logic is that just because you have not met a teacher who financially helped someone that all teachers are 'useless or do nothing for anyone? What about the teachers who give up their time to work with students in their own time or the teachers that visit students and parents at home in times of need? What about the teacher that act as an inspiration to their students or the teacher that simply shows an interest in a student when the student has no-one else to show an interest in them? (and no, not in the context that some ppl will take it in!)

As someone studying law, I would have expected at least some rational thought and logic.
I know you were responding to attack on lawyers (just as Im responding to some illogical rhetoric against teachers) but come on. At least make some sense if you are going to sound off in defence of your profession.....
LOL
;)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
My dear generator...you should be able to control 22 seven year olds...its in your job description.

Basic training can see you through that...if you hgave ever done any coaching for sport or whatever...it really isnt THAT hard. (again IMO)
you are not "trained" to do this Asqy...... like most of the stuff in teaching (knowledge/curriculum aside), you are not "trained" to do it (unless uni has changed in the last 5 years). BTW you cant compare sports coaching to classroom control.... apples and oranges!! :)
Actually like most things/course at uni, you are not taught squat that is really relevant (with regards to skills) to the real job (content and knowledge aside)
I had to laugh out aloud when you wrote (from memory) that because we (teachers) are older and smarter than them (school students), we should be able to control a class of children. Yeah...that makes sense given the diverse nature of the typical classroom..... Come out to my old school and see how "easy" it is. Ill arrange it and even prepare the lessons for you.... :)

Just as you have pointed out, most of what you have said is based upon your observation (dont know what teachers you were observing though as you describe the most un-professional people I have ever heard of) but given that you are still in training for the real world, I really dont think that you are qualified just yet to pass judgement on what constitutes real work (my opinion)
Work for a year or two in your chosen profession then you are welcome to comment and compare jobs. Again, my opinion
BTW..this is not intended as an attack so please dont bother flaming back. Constructive, un-emotional and logical reason on the other hand is welcome....

Last edited:

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
Asquithian said:
name some overpriced jobs?
If I may add some others.....most professional athletes (esp. footballers), most CEO's and IMO, anything to do with technology (mid to high range stuff I mean).
Based on my experience lawyers also fall into this category but then again, this will probably open up a can of worms.......!!
;)

----I know that this is three posts in a row but i wanted to make them separate posts (easier on the eyes!!!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)