Teacher rounded mark for rank. Is it okay (1 Viewer)

andredaazn

HSC
The story is I'm in an ipt class and at the end I managed to get a fraction of a mark better than another student. However my teacher chose to round it off and made both of us have the same rank. Would this affect the outcome of my hsc. It sounds like what he did was practically handicap me for no reason.

SuperMike96

HSC
Aren't you in year 10? If so, the rank should have no affect over your HSC ranks.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, I would enquire about that.

Sending students in on tied ranks is not preferable imho for a couple of reasons. My school always split by fractions.

You don't want your assessment mark to have to be averaged between the two of you.

andredaazn

HSC

Sending students in on tied ranks is not preferable imho for a couple of reasons. My school always split by fractions.

You don't want your assessment mark to have to be averaged between the two of you.
What should I mention when I speak to him about it?

D94

HSC
N/A

BOS takes in whole numbers, so fractions are useless, unless one student is rounded up and the other is rounded down. If that's the case, then why bother with fractions...?

hamsterjames

HSC
BOS takes in whole numbers, so fractions are useless, unless one student is rounded up and the other is rounded down. If that's the case, then why bother with fractions...?
BOS take into account the rank order, which can be decided by fractions of a percent. The issue is that the OP is ranked equally to somebody that technically achieved a lower assessment mark.

It could effect you HSC result, so I'd probably take it up with them.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
BOS take into account the rank order, which can be decided by fractions of a percent. The issue is that the OP is ranked equally to somebody that technically achieved a lower assessment mark.

Don't try to correct people when you are wrong.

1) BOS do not look at rank order, they look at marks.

2) Marks must be rounded off to the nearest whole number.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC

Pepperthyangus.

No one corrects D94 on matters to do with BoS, HSC Marks/Moderations, or ATAR because no one knows as much as D94 does.

Reactions: D94

enoilgam

HSC
I think that some schools differentiate on fractions and then round on the basis of that if that makes sense. Like, two students may have a score of 90.2% and 90.1% and the school may round one up to 91 and the other down to 90. I remember that my economics rank was changed and the official reasoning of my school was "the other person beat you by a small margin", so who knows.

D94

HSC
N/A
I think that some schools differentiate on fractions and then round on the basis of that if that makes sense. Like, two students may have a score of 90.2% and 90.1% and the school may round one up to 91 and the other down to 90. I remember that my economics rank was changed and the official reasoning of my school was "the other person beat you by a small margin", so who knows.
I get what you are saying, and it is more likely a better situation for everyone. If LHS was saying what you are saying, then yeah, I agree.

Regardless, BOS takes in whole numbers, and so if schools don't alter marks (like in your scenario), then there will be more than one person on rank 1.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Is it possible in your situation that your mark was say 90.4% and the other person's mark was 90.6% and going by how rounding numbers works, that would basically account for your rank?

studybuddy101

HSC
official ranks come out tomorrow, you should wait to see them because there's a chance you're teacher reported the rounded marks to you but sent exact marks to BOS

enoilgam

HSC
Is it possible in your situation that your mark was say 90.4% and the other person's mark was 90.6% and going by how rounding numbers works, that would basically account for your rank?
It's possible, but who knows. I'm not ranting or complaining about things by the way, I'm more or less trying to use some of my experiences to answer that OPs question.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The marks sent to the BOS can only be whole numbers. The computer won't take anything else.

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
will the rankings shown tomorrow show whether someone is equal first or not?

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Looking at his HSC year this guy is in year 10.

So it wouldn't affect his HSC in anyway.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Looking at his HSC year this guy is in year 10.

So it wouldn't affect his HSC in anyway.
Not necessarily. In my school, IPT was accelerated such that they did the IPT HSC in Year 10.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
official ranks come out tomorrow, you should wait to see them because there's a chance you're teacher reported the rounded marks to you but sent exact marks to BOS
Exact marks can not be sent to the BOS, it's impossible. They have to be rounded off in some way.

I still don't get why people give information like this without actually knowing what happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)