Teachers and selective schools (1 Viewer)

furansugo

HSC
LottoX, were you referring to me when you mentioned 'much loved'? Maybe by some teachers, but certainly not the bimbos who callem themselves my peers. I'll be glad to rid myself of them.
I think that I may have established some grudges between myself and some teachers by simply departing, namely the director of music. Not that I care. My only concern is the implications that may arise with my sibling who attends the school.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Hopefully your sibling doesnt get the same teachers as you who hold a "grudge" against you ;)

Happy New Year everyone! :)

furansugo

HSC
Kujah, I KNOW she has at least one of the teachers who holds a collosal grudge against myself. However, I'm thankful that she has one of my favourite teachers for 3 different subjects. That'll be fantastic for her.:D

I'll add in my wishes for a happy new year! And gosh, this'd be a fantastic year to have the majority of things go well!:)

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
furansugo said:
I too am commencing the coming scholastic year at a selective school, but with the primary differentiation that I reside in Victoria (Melbourne, to be precise).

Keep in mind that the two Victorian selective schools begin at year 9, so leaving my current school during the middle of my secondary education was inevitable.

I received notification that I was offered a place in early August, but unfortunately my future school just HAD to contact my previous principal about the offer. Thankfully, he didn't mention anything until my parents and I formally lodged my letter of departure. That began the downwards spiral...

Being a laptop school, my principal immediately sent an email concerning my 'resignation' to all staff members. I was actually anticipating informing my favourite teachers about my 'angsty' desicion, but of course, I was stripped of this opportunity.

How did my teachers take it? Well...

The director of music refused to look at me in the eye for two months.
My Japanese teacher attempted to convince me that it's always possible to return, and students have done so in the past.
One of the year 5 teachers (to whom I had corrected her misconceptions about the creator of penicillin 4 years previously) yelled at my mother, "You're taking her away from us!" - quite ironic that 'her' was referring to me, as I have a younger sister who was once in her class.
The principal chastised my mother in the hallways, but offered to hold my place and scholarship.
My English teacher asked my why I was moving to a state school... and so on.

However, some of the teachers took the news very well, and could see the depth and heavily debated reasons concerning my move. Many stated that they thought that the top school in the state would offer me a plethora of of opportunities that wouldn't be accessible at any other school, and most could comprehend that I was longing for some social stimulation. In fact, my science teacher admitted that although she loved instructing me, she sincerely wished that I forged friendships and constructed life long bonds with students who wouldn't ostracise me.
The truth is, the key justification to perseving with the (hopefully initial) trauma of moving schools was that I could assosiate with kind, benevolent peers who could tolerate my interests, and accept my fascination with thought.

After all, what's the point of ploughing through youth without truly being yourself?

My new transition will involve a huge adjustment (as will all of yours), but in the end, I'm sure it'll be worth it.
You're a drama queen. Get over yourself.

furansugo

HSC
Yep. I'm melodramatic. And I'm proud of it. :p

No, seriously, it was a huge decision for me as I've attended the school for a large percentage of my life. I spent hours awake late at night contemplating the possibilities of each way.

If you have a problem with me being a drama queen, just get over it. It's small in the scheme of things (a melodramatic reply from moi).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
tamaranadine said:
I only hope your sibling can get away from that school, if teachers are behaving in that way something needs to be done.
Let's blackmail them ;)

Last edited:

furansugo

HSC
Ha! Blackmail my past teachers? Somehow I doubt the effectiveness of THAT plan...
The school isn't terrible - in fact, it's ranked in the top 20 (even though the cohort was abysmal!), but I found that the school had acculumated a large number of teachers who hold biases and conduct unprofessional behaviour.
Thankfully, the principal (who generally is quite nice, and makes an effort to meet the students) decided to sack many of the incompetent staff who somehow were being PAID, but quite a few remain.
One example is the teacher I know my sister will have to deal with. My family and I were shocked that a certain instructor exemplified favouritism, discrimination, extreme disorganisation and even resorted to mocking me in front of my entire class.
Do you want to know what happened to him? He was promoted.
Other teachers who I've found unable to control a class have also been given extra responsibilities, as well as being hailed as some of the best. It disgusts me.
However, my younger sister adores the school. She finds comfort within her loyal friends, enjoys the ambience of the grounds, participates readily in the extracurricular activities offered and jumps at the leadership positions. Her only worry is that some teachers will tarnish her reputation with my brush.

And to think that they're being PAID for it.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Then let's murder them :)

Anyways, all we can do is hope that they dont't be nasty with your sister. I'm sure most of our schools in NSW have teachers that adopt bias with their students, especially with smart and stupid students :) (not saying that you're stupid ;) )

Teachers will get over it, they're just in shock and they feel "betrayed" after all these years of supporting you.

furansugo

HSC
Murder sounds too nice... :haha:
My sister should hopefully win over most teachers with her smile, but if that doesn't work, I'll readily support her in her teacher bashing. After all, it'll be justified.

Kujah, you're right: most schools have biased teachers, but the vast majority of these institutions strive to identify and eradicate these tendencies. However, I found it insulting that one particular staff member (perhaps the worst offender in the entire school) was offered a promotion, in spite of these extremely evident traits. Hopefully he'll be condemned sooner rather than later. Perhaps if he was an exceptional teacher, this unprofessional behaviour could be dealt with, but I (along with 80% of his VCE class) have observed that he's been proclaiming all of the incorrect answers at senior levels. Disgraceful! :eek:

Look at this thread: it began as a humble query about informing teachers about transitioning to a selective school, but now it's morphed into this!

Shall it undergo a further metamorphosis? Well, we'll have to (excuse the pun) keep posted.:)

furansugo

HSC
Hey, watch it! I spent my infant-hood in NSW, so I think that I can vouch for the fact that I find Victoria far more liveable than it's northern counterpart, NSW. The climatic conditions in Melbourne presently are much less humid; we have immense (once) green public spaces; artistic talent is drifting along our city streets; there are less red-backs and we have a thriving University culture. It's quite nice, actually.

You didn't make a long story short, simonloo. Oh no - you opened up a whole new debate which probably needs a forum of its own.

However, if you intended for your post to be taken in a mathematical context, you are correct: NSW occupies a larger area of land than Vic, and also has a larger population. But that's irrelevant.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
simonloo said:
Long story short.

NSW > VIC
Word. Short, simple, to the point - I believe that is the definition of cutting a long story short.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Lol. Melbourne's got very cool shopping centres, and so much more green scenery. It's quite a fantastic place to holiday ;) (cant w8 to go there soon :) )

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
furansugo said:
Hey, watch it! I spent my infant-hood in NSW, so I think that I can vouch for the fact that I find Victoria far more liveable than it's northern counterpart, NSW.
That's great. But if you were in NSW at the time, how could you compare it to Victoria at its present? Sydney/NSW is quite a bit different from the NSW you grew up in and Melbourne as well for that matter.

furansugo said:
The climatic conditions in Melbourne presently are much less humid
Yes, and over 90% of Australia is currently in a drought.

furansugo said:
we have immense (once) green public spaces
Beaches> Immense (once) green public spaces

furansugo said:
artistic talent is drifting along our city streets
Wolfmother hails from Erskineville, which is in NSW, so we win by default.

furansugo said:
there are less red-backs
So that makes NSW the state which better represents Australian icons.

furansugo said:
we have a thriving University culture. It's quite nice, actually.
That does not mean that Victoria is better than NSW by any means. To say in the least, NSW has thriving university culture too. Does Victoria have any universities with a statue of a prostitute on their grounds? No...

furansugo said:
However, if you intended for your post to be taken in a mathematical context, you are correct: NSW occupies a larger area of land than Vic, and also has a larger population. But that's irrelevant.
All the more why NSW is better than VIC. Size matters. Really, it does.

So therefore, piece by piece, I have destroyed your case and enlightened you on why perhaps, you are whinging on having such shitty teachers pay you out- the reason? Because NSW is the PREMIER STATE and VICTORIA IS NOT.

Am I correct furansugo?
furansugo said:
you are correct

L

lala91

quite a few people in my school (selective) move to another 'better' selective school after year 10 because the students dont get to decide whether they're going to do english standard or advance, its the teachers decision!

Black Hawker

HSC
Jachie said:
I think most selective schools don't even offer Standard. That's what mine does, anyways. You have no choice but to do Advanced, and they strongly encourage most of us to do Extension 1, even if it's only in Year 11.
Yeah, thats the same with our school.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
Our school forces us to do Ext 1 English in Prelim.

Eng Teacher: Extension 1 is for those who really have a love of the subject.
Me: Then why do you force the whole grade to do it?
Eng TEacher: Um, because of the timetable...

:S

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
simonloo said:
Our school forces us to do Ext 1 English in Prelim.

Eng Teacher: Extension 1 is for those who really have a love of the subject.
Me: Then why do you force the whole grade to do it?
Eng TEacher: Um, because of the timetable...

:S
whoa.

if i went to ur school i'd be complaining.

or i just wouldn't show up to any classes.

cs01001

HSC
There's also English Fundamentals, I heard they teache you about paragraph, punctuations etc. Eg Basic stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)