Teacher's Bullshit or Sam's bullshit? (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
You only can't get 100/100 for a scaled mark if a 100 HSC mark doesn't give a 100 scaled mark. If a 98 HSC mark gives you a 99 scaled mark, then a 100 HSC mark would probably give you a 100 scaled mark, it's just that no one achieved that 100 HSC mark.
Difference between a subject actually being capped and a subject where nobody got the maximum possible mark.
Ah i see what you mean :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You only can't get 100/100 for a scaled mark if a 100 HSC mark doesn't give a 100 scaled mark. If a 98 HSC mark gives you a 99 scaled mark, then a 100 HSC mark would probably give you a 100 scaled mark, it's just that no one achieved that 100 HSC mark.
Difference between a subject actually being capped and a subject where nobody got the maximum possible mark.
This used to be correct, but since around 2002 it's no longer the case.

See paragraph [3.2.7] of the 2008 scaling report:

If the actual maximum scaled mark in a course is less than the maximum possible scaled mark,
a further linear transformation is applied. The effect of this linear transformation is that, while
the scaled mean for a course is not changed, the standard deviation is modified so that the actual
maximum scaled mark in the course is the same as the maximum possible scaled mark. In all
tables presented in this report the modified scaled standard deviations rather than the initial
scaled standard deviations are shown.
It used to be the case that only raw marks of 100% would be scaled to the maximum possible scaled mark.

Nowadays each distribution of scaled marks is stretched so that the top raw mark is scaled to the maximum possible scaled mark.

It follows that any course with a maximum scaled mark less than 50 has been capped.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
This used to be correct, but since around 2002 it's no longer the case.

See paragraph [3.2.7] of the 2008 scaling report:

It used to be the case that only raw marks of 100% would be scaled to the maximum possible scaled mark.

Nowadays each distribution of scaled marks is stretched so that the top raw mark is scaled to the maximum possible scaled mark.

It follows that any course with a maximum scaled mark less than 50 has been capped.
Thanks, Lazarus :)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Oh wow, that's quite interesting
Must build up my internal database of the scaling process even more

elmoateme

HSC
@OP: Maybe try using SAM again, cos i put in 95s in your subjects and it came up with a 98 atar. Mind you, dont do senior science, its a joke.

adomad

HSC!!
HSC
hold on a second,,, from the table A3, physics is capped???!?!?!?! (this defies the laws of physics!!)

Max Mark
HSC:49
scaled :50

so you get a scaled mark of 50 but you can only get 49??

and do you have to times all the values by 2??

swathard

HSC
hold on a second,,, from the table A3, physics is capped???!?!?!?! (this defies the laws of physics!!)

Max Mark

I don't think it means that it's capped.. I think it just means that the highest mark in the HSC in 2008 was 49/50 (98) and that scaled up to 50/50, 100? So in that way, physics is not capped. Correct me if I'm wrong please. :)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

Max Mark

No its not capped, infact from that information you can see it was scaled up.

The highest mark anybody got was 49/50, yet they got 100% of the possible marks after it was scaled. If it was the other way around (HSC: 50, Scaled:49) then it would have been capped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)