Teachers/Tutors Pre-writing Students Essays (1 Viewer)

govey

HSC
It is a well known fact that some Catholic school teachers provide their students with pre written essays. Does this seem fair? No. But, i will say that for those people who are too stupid to even write a simple english essay by themselves that you will NOT get spoon fed at university.

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
Re: Catholic schools unfair advantage

I think it's unfair to only say this occurs at catholic schools, it's up to the teacher whether or not they put in more work to help their students better understand what's expected of them in the exam.

govey

HSC

I'm sure it happens at more than just Catholic schools, but I can confidently say that it happens there more than other schools. The BOS doesn't have the power to monitor it. The HSC system is a complete joke.

bassqueen16

HSC

how confident are you govey? I went to a catholic school and i had no such help, ill tell you who gets that kind of spoon feeding its all the people at those after school tutors... all they do is write essays for them and then teach them to remember it for the exam... i think your a tool govey, what kind of school did you go to and hmm id wonder where someone as cocky as you gets his information from, check your facts next time fucktard

nahian

HSC

You make baby Jesus cry when you use that language

govey

HSC

how confident are you govey? I went to a catholic school and i had no such help, ill tell you who gets that kind of spoon feeding its all the people at those after school tutors... all they do is write essays for them and then teach them to remember it for the exam... i think your a tool govey, what kind of school did you go to and hmm id wonder where someone as cocky as you gets his information from, check your facts next time fucktard
By the looks of you shocking grammar perhaps you need your essays pre written.

HSC
N/A

Good grief, there must be something wrong with Sydney Water! There's no other reason for the forum madness tonight :p

Perhaps it's true some catholic schools give their students pre-written essays. If so, it's likely that some Anglican schools do, and some private schools do, and some public schools as well. It's definately true that some tutors do, and it was only last year a teacher who had been writing EE2 major works for her students etc got busted by the police.

Oooh, but newsflash: NOT EVERY SCHOOL DOES. Not sure how many of you are doing the Telling the Truth module, but use your heads people. Just because you know a few catholic schools are doing the wrong thing doesn't instantly mean every catholic school does. There are some duds in EVERY group, whether catholic/public/private/whatever.

06ers, do me a favour and please start drinking boiled water :p we don't want madness to be catching, now do we?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A

These sort of threads just lend themselves to people getting pissed off (for good reason). But I assume that's what you were looking for, or you wouldn't have started the thread. I'm sure many schools hand out pre-written essays, but you can't generalise with Catholic schools.

yal14h

HSC
At the end of the day, what does it matter? I think it just reinforces the fact that the HSC is shithouse.

FTR: I go to a public selective school and was given "model responses" by the English faculty, from other students and from family/friends.

bassqueen16

HSC
Well it seems to me, the fury that has arisen on BOS tonight can be related back to this noob govey character, i say ban the idiot for a while to calm him down.

govey

HSC
I know that I made a very broad generalisation, but I did say "some" Catholic schools. I only singled out that particular institution because my friends from various Catholic schools openly admit to it. Of course it happens at other schools, and I'm not denying that, but I have come to a conclusion (disagree all you want) that alot of Catholic schools put in extra work to make their school look more attractive when the results come out.

Last edited:

*Ninny-mole*

The Power Is Yours...
HSC
I go went to a Catholic school and we got no such help. So unless you can prove what you are saying govey, don't make stupid generalisations
EDIT: all schools want to look better, but it doesn't mean that they would do anything like that. I wouldn't want my teachers cheating for me, but I would be really happy to think that my teacher's have gone the extra mile so that we do as well as we can. Notice, I said as well as WE can.

Last edited:

bassqueen16

HSC
Hmm you've flipped from "some" to "various" to "alot" in the same post, how about you stick with one and you can argue that little point all you like. Trust me when I say that ALL schools would LOVE to make their school look attractive, it's something that gets them more funding for the next year, if you're going to single out Catholic schools, why not say Anglican or Protestant or Private or Selective because whatever system you single out is going to have incidences of prewriting essays, its an inevitability but it doesn't get the student or school any more recognition because HSC markers, unlike your ordinary teacher, know what looks like student's writing and teacher's writing and will mark accordingly. So perhaps next time think about making sweeping generalisations on BOS, because you know theres going to be someone to kick you up for it ;)

~Sw33ti3~

hate uni.... but why :S
HSC
ya i 2 go 2 a public selective, we got model response by the good students after tests, teachers writing them, and stuff.

we are not stupid enuf 2 use them! i mean, not all essays work... some do, but if you wrote it yourself, u know what you mean and where u come from. thus in the hsc u can change. or else u learn someones elses stuff... u mite not be so 'fluid'

i dunno, some mite use it, some mite not. doesn't worry me. because in uni they can just flunk it and let the spots be free for transfer students

HSC
N/A
govey said:
I know that I made a very broad generalisation, but I did say "some" Catholic schools. I only singled out that particular institution because my friends from various Catholic schools openly admit to it. Of course it happens at other schools, and I'm not denying that, but I have come to a conclusion (disagree all you want) that it Catholic schools put in extra work to make their school look more attractive when the results come out.
Ah, but your original title didn't say "some". Gotta be careful with your labels.

And why single out one particular institution just because you have friends there that admit to it? Why not talk about the practice of it as a whole? At least then you'd get some worthy topic on it as opposed to just stirring up a pro/anti catholic school type debate, or a 'my friends say this therefore it's true'/'overgeneralisations suck, you're an idiot' type discussion.

Finally, "because I have friends there that say suchandsuch" is a rather weak excuse for 'evidence'. I could build a much stronger case about how weak your one is, citing small sample size as my main argument, with bias/lack of variety between those surveyed as a supplementary.

(english essays101 - don't make claims without actual justifications).

PS: overgeneralisations in a debate = suicide

Bagley

HSC
bassqueen16 said:
HSC markers, unlike your ordinary teacher, know what looks like student's writing and teacher's writing and will mark accordingly.
Are you serious? You actually think they can tell the difference? So what you are suggesting is that the top students are taking a gamble writing well because the marker will assume its a teacher. That seems quite unlikely.

bassqueen16

HSC
Theres a marked difference between the writing of a top student and a university qualified teacher. A top student writing well and a teacher writing well look VERY different, and HSC markers are aware of this.

Bagley

HSC
Umm, I don't think you've could honestly support that. The responses that teachers provide their students can easily pass for the students own work. If not, the kids can dumb it down, or just forget bits anyway.

govey

HSC
I go went to a Catholic school and we got no such help.
Well perhaps you should have received help. Serious help. Perhaps you made a typing error, but I doubt it. It's a shame you didn't have your teacher sitting next to you when writing your comments for you.

Well it seems to me, the fury that has arisen on BOS tonight can be related back to this noob govey character, i say ban the idiot for a while to calm him down
How old are you? Calling people "noobs" - vocabulary which should be reserved for pathetic online computer gamer geeks.

govey

HSC
Ah, but your original title didn't say "some". Gotta be careful with your labels
Please take some time to read my first post. It does say "some". The Catholic teachers won't be able to read out the question for you in the exam, so I guess it really doesn't matter if you have pre written essays. Problem solved. And don't say that I edited it jus then, because I didn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)