Teachers (1 Viewer)

theitguy

HSC
Hi,

I was wondering about experiences people might have had with the way teachers run a subject, and how that differs from external examinations such as the HSC.

In previous years, I haven't really paid attention to whether my teacher was doing the job well, and how it related to the school certificate (which was quite easy anyway).

This year, I'm beginning to question the ways some of my teachers run the subjects, more specifically the way they mark tests. The marking of the tests seems very.. informal. It feels like they just sort of throw you marks here and there, but aren't doing a very good job of marking the way I would have imagined they had marked in the HSC. Also I have another teacher who feels like very little attention is actually paid to your answer, a couple of words are looked for and marks are given based on more of a 'feeling' basis then a strict marking guideline basis. This only applies to some of my subjects, others I feel confident that what I'm being taught and the way tests are marked is very proffesional. I am not naming any names, subjects, or school.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with teachers that mark in a seemingly informal way, and was wondering if it will be a giant shock when the external examinations come along and the game changes.

Thanks

youngminii

Banned
HSC
My f*kin physics assessments are all based on experiments (first hand/second hand data). You know how annoying it is knowing all the theory and doing all these past papers from HSC etc. and then going to a test that barely requires this knowledge? Only our trials are non-practical, which is just bullsh*t.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Hi,

I was wondering about experiences people might have had with the way teachers run a subject, and how that differs from external examinations such as the HSC.

In previous years, I haven't really paid attention to whether my teacher was doing the job well, and how it related to the school certificate (which was quite easy anyway).

This year, I'm beginning to question the ways some of my teachers run the subjects, more specifically the way they mark tests. The marking of the tests seems very.. informal. It feels like they just sort of throw you marks here and there, but aren't doing a very good job of marking the way I would have imagined they had marked in the HSC. Also I have another teacher who feels like very little attention is actually paid to your answer, a couple of words are looked for and marks are given based on more of a 'feeling' basis then a strict marking guideline basis. This only applies to some of my subjects, others I feel confident that what I'm being taught and the way tests are marked is very proffesional. I am not naming any names, subjects, or school.

So I was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with teachers that mark in a seemingly informal way, and was wondering if it will be a giant shock when the external examinations come along and the game changes.

Thanks
Most of my teachers do that also. My science teachers reckon that you can get a Band 6 in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with poorly worded implausible sentences. I reckon they're wrong about that. There was 2 kids in my school, which I'll refer to as A and B. Both did Physics. A got a Band 6 in English and B got a Band 4. Both were pros at Physics and achieved a Band 6 internal. For the actual HSC only A got a Band 6 for Physics, while B got a Band 5. Teachers were surprised about B's Band 5. I'm pretty sure it was because of the English. I mean, there has to be a reason why English is mandatory.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Most of my teachers do that also. My science teachers reckon that you can get a Band 6 in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with poorly worded implausible sentences. I reckon they're wrong about that. There was 2 kids in my school, which I'll refer to as A and B. Both did Physics. A got a Band 6 in English and B got a Band 4. Both were pros at Physics and achieved a Band 6 internal. For the actual HSC only A got a Band 6 for Physics, while B got a Band 5. Teachers were surprised about B's Band 5. I'm pretty sure it was because of the English. I mean, there has to be a reason why English is mandatory.
but english isn't actually about english. it's all about texts and shit. grrrrrrrr.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Most of the teachers I get nowadays aren't great. Some can't teach, some can't mark, and a few of them aren't that smart. And yeah, I've only noticed it recently too, ever since I started trying at school.

Maybe it's cos I'm in the public school system though, any private school kids want to say whether your teachers are much better?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Most of the teachers I get nowadays aren't great. Some can't teach, some can't mark, and a few of them aren't that smart. And yeah, I've only noticed it recently too, ever since I started trying at school.

Maybe it's cos I'm in the public school system though, any private school kids want to say whether your teachers are much better?
i've been to both and the private system is SO much better. and i'm not saying that to be a snob, my teachers were of much better quality overall. i'm not saying all the teachers i have now are bad, i actually have a good maths teacher, just across the board, i had good teachers for every subject, and my maths and french teachers were AMAZING.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
i've been to both and the private system is SO much better. and i'm not saying that to be a snob, my teachers were of much better quality overall. i'm not saying all the teachers i have now are bad, i actually have a good maths teacher, just across the board, i had good teachers for every subject, and my maths and french teachers were AMAZING.
What a coincidence, I have a good maths teacher too...but no Gosbell anymore...

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
What a coincidence, I have a good maths teacher too...but no Gosbell anymore...
oh, hey, fancy seeing you here.

really?? that's pretty cool.

i haven't done my homework for so long. *sigh* i don't wannnna do it, but he seemed to get a bit shitty when noone had done that question haha.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
oh, hey, fancy seeing you here.

really?? that's pretty cool.

i haven't done my homework for so long. *sigh* i don't wannnna do it, but he seemed to get a bit shitty when noone had done that question haha.
I dont get how u dont do 4U h/w, but yeh he's getting kinda angry. I'm late all the time and I don't think he likes it, but I asked him to write my reference today and he seemed kinda caught off-guard but flattered, so i should be in his good books for a while now..

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I dont get how u dont do 4U h/w, but yeh he's getting kinda angry. I'm late all the time and I don't think he likes it, but I asked him to write my reference today and he seemed kinda caught off-guard but flattered, so i should be in his good books for a while now..
um, i never have? probably should start. he asked me the other day if i'd been doing my work and i was like uhhh most of it. and he was like, so that's a no. and i was like um, that would be correct.

haha, yeahh. i don't think i'm in the good books because i was late this morning, didn't come yesterday, and was at netball the day before and late the day before that. =||.

i also asked for the reference but that was after the lateness/absence episode. he'll probably say i'm crap at life now haha.

haha you're set, teacher's pet for a while?

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
i actually like the teaching methods of all my current teachers, in comparison to last year

yay

theitguy

HSC
Just because you don't understand the marking system, doesn't mean it's wrong. If you wish to challenge it's viability, I suggest you take an indepth look at it first. But GG kid, you must be right. Just noting here that it is truly impossible to be 100% objective and apply a "strict marking guideline" in subjects involving essays (ie most of them), because they don't have a right answer (unless it's the short answer questions). Although, I guess you would've already known that, but will continue to bitch and whinge anyway.

ITT: Tards who think they deserve better marks but really, are quite shit.
Good point.

I'm mainly concerned that questions which have a fairly defined set of answers are being stretched to the limits as far as subjectivity goes. I would put forward that there should be a line drawn between those who have studied from the textbook and the syllabus, and those who are simply making up answers which sound right.

An extended response question will usually focus on a particular aspect of the syllabus, and of that aspect there are certain elements like the terminology, and discussion of concepts which will enable a teacher to differ between someone who just has the ability to answer questions well, and someone who actually knows what they are talking about. I am concerned that this is being overlooked by some teachers.

I didn't name subjects, however I am fully aware that some subjects require subjectivity in the way they are marked. It is safe to assume that the subjects I am talking about are very content driven subjects.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
yeh, I forgot his strange obsession with you

soz, but he's mine now :)
ha. you wish.

i'll actually do my homework and then i'll be streets ahead of everyone else in the 'mr sherley's teacher's pet' race. haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)