teaching or psychology??? (2 Viewers)

philphie

Banned
HSC
teaching you're guranteed to get employed but at most i'd say you would make 80-100 thousand p.a. in the private sector as a teacher, but after a lot of experience you could move onto education administration. if you want to become a university lecturer prospects are less plus you definitely need a PHD to have higher ground.

usyd is best for teaching, don't know the cutoff

philphie

Banned
HSC
the problem with psychology is if you do make it through honours then grad school finding employment is very hard. to get employed you need a lot of experience and this usually means a lot of wasted time doing volunteer work until you actually get a proper wage

Tubby69

HSC
wow thanks alot.

bachelor of education (secondary: humanities and social science) / arts is 84.50 so i should make it in with 80.35 + eas.
to become a maths teacher, however is 86.35. is it possible for me to make it in? is 5 additional points the maximum?

edit: at usyd

HSC
Uni Grad
What ispm said, much broader range of stuff for psych whereas teaching leads only to teaching.

philphie

Banned
HSC
wow thanks alot.

bachelor of education (secondary: humanities and social science) / arts is 84.50 so i should make it in with 80.35 + eas.
to become a maths teacher, however is 86.35. is it possible for me to make it in? is 5 additional points the maximum?

edit: at usyd
5 points max plus take in consideration other people might be applying for that course through eas who have a higher atar than you

philphie

Banned
HSC
taking that into consideration yes, but really it comes down to what you're interested in and what you want to teach

philphie

Banned
HSC
i have noticed a higher demand for maths teachers these days, especially for maths ext 1 and 2

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeh, maths teachers are dryin up something fierce according to mine.

Tubby69

HSC
think i'll just stick with teaching and hope my bonus points get me through >.<

boganxcore

HSC
to be honest, teaching is a better choice since so many many students are doing psychology so theres a massive influx of them and no real demand due to large amount of people doing it. teaching is good coz it has good job security and they always need new teachers

HSC
Uni Grad
I would have thought there would be a fuckload of teachers unemployed and waitin, I hope not though.

Tubby69

HSC
alright, so teaching it is. now if i don't make it into usyd, where would be the next best uni to go into?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The problem with teaching is that the average age of teachers in the mid-40s and quite a few of the baby-boomer teachers due to retire within the next 4 to 5 years on the great pre-1983 NSW state super.

These guys will need to be replaced and you are the kids who will be able to step in and fill their shoes.

Maths and Science teachers are always in demand because many students who are good at these subjects find themselves drawn towards other careers due to a number of factors, including pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)