Teaching Prac! (1 Viewer)

callisto

has called it a day
HSC
So.. who here has been on prac?
For double degrees: 2nd yr, 3rd yr, Internship?
Primary or High School?
Dip Ed. Students?

I'm a 2nd year B. Arts/B. Teaching majoring in English and I have just started what will be 4 weeks of my first prac ever at Belmont High.
So far it's going pretty well, kids are a bit ratty/unmotivated at times and having to write damn lesson plans and reflect on every single lesson taught is a bit of a pain, but it's not as hard as I thought it would be, and nowhere near as scary!

as long as the lessons are relevant, interesting and well paced, you are clear with directions and appear friendly, enthusiastic and fair in your discipline the students seem to respond well.

Any thoughts from those who have been on prac in schools/about to go on prac?

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Haha, here's trouble. You haven't been on here in a while.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
HAHAH love it.
Ok serious question. Do you read all the English novels for all the different years or do you get cheat notes and wing it? :D

~untitled~

HSC
I have to do clinical placement next semester :S, not sure where, or why because its not like we can actually do anything yet. But should be fun, eventhough they violently snatched away our only lecture free day.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
What degree do you do? I guess you might just be watching and helping in little ways that don't involve medical assessment (assuming you're doing OT, SP, med).

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Had prac last semester, found it quite enjoyable, learnt alot.

~untitled~

HSC
em_516 said:
What degree do you do? I guess you might just be watching and helping in little ways that don't involve medical assessment (assuming you're doing OT, SP, med).
I do speech path. Its one with kiddies, so well probably just be playing with dolls and toy cars :p, its going to be difficult. However, chances are well just end up getting in the clinicians way.

em_516

bludging..
HSC
Yeh I'd say so :p but at least you can see what you're getting youself into!

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
luscious-llama said:
yay I passed prac at the 2nd worst school on the central coast!
What are the worst schools on the coast? Coming from the area, I don't know any of them are that awful.

luscious-llama

Ára bátur
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
What are the worst schools on the coast? Coming from the area, I don't know any of them are that awful.

Northlakes.
Wyong. (where I was at, we had students suspended every week)
Heard Wadalba was pretty bad for some reason (shouldn't have been because it's a central school).

Alot of high schools like Lisarow, Niagra Park, the Secondary colleges are decent. Along with Gosford selective, but then you have these schools with falling retention rates etc and things just go A-wall. I got a good rapport at the school but the average casual teacher said it was in their top three worst schools ever (coming from 20 years of service)

AndJF

HSC
N/A
Hi there
Im halfway through my internship teaching PDHPE and CAFS. I promise intersnship is better, you have so much more respect as well as (from my expereince) the staff treating u more like a teacher not a student. Im teaching only yr11 and 12 and love it! I didnt like jnr years as much, or primary age either.

~untitled~

HSC
Im pretty sure the SPINS program has allowed me to realise how very much i don't want to become a teacher.

~untitled~

HSC
em_516 said:
But you're gonna be a speech path :S So..
Lol.
Exactly, so why the hell do they make us do work experience at a school. Why not give us experience in actual spee pathology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)