Teen Death Rocks State (1 Viewer)

HSC
TEEN DEATH ROCKS STATE

By Tonia Moorton WITH one hand clasping a green coffin, Justine Kelly helped carry her 14-year-old son Alex Wildman from the Lismore Uniting Church yesterday afternoon.
The Kadina High student took his own life last Friday and claims have surfaced that it was a result of bullying at school, causing the NSW State Opposition to call for the Iemma Government to stamp out bullying.
However, many fellow student believe other factors beside bullying contributed to the young man's death.
Counselling has been offered to the school's students.
Shadow Minister for Education Andrew Stoner expressed his deepest sympathies to the young man's family.
"It's devastating to see this young man with so much potential take his own life," he said.
"We would hope the police inquiry, or possibly a coronial inquiry, gets to the bottom of the circumstances surrounding this tragic suicide.
"Reports that bullying may have contributed to Alex's suicide are particularly distressing.
"No child should have to put up with the torment of being bullied. Bullying is a miserable practice that has no place in our State's schools."
Mr Stoner said investigations were continuing into the events surrounding the teen's death.
In mid-last year the Liberal/Nationals called for an inquiry into bullying following a number of incidents including schools at Crookwell, Plumpton and Ambarvale.
It was revealed the Department of Education had paid more than $6 million in compensation to victims of bullying, with one victim, Benjamin Cox, awarded more than $1 million.
Cyber-bullying has also been a problem.
The Department of Education is helping police with their investigation.
"The first thing that Premier Morris Iemma should do is to appoint a new, full-time Education Minister following John Della Bosca's standing aside," Mr Stoner said.
If you are being bullied and need someone to talk to, contact Kids Help Line on 1800 551 800 or Parent line on 132 055.

http://www.northernstar.com.au/storydisplay.cfm?storyid=3780364

End to bully!! No more bullies!

Bully=Death

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I wonder if bullying alone though , would be sufficient to cause a person to take their own life..Ive never been bullied tho so i guess im not really in a position to speculate.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
I think you'd have 2 b pretty crazy 2 take ur own life just because ur being bullied. There'd have 2 b something else in it

HSC
Well i have been bullied alot from year 7 to 9. Just because they don't understand my disability. That guy hasn't got disabilities at all. Bully is common in disability discrimination though.

Zrap

glock9
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
Well i have been bullied alot from year 7 to 9. Just because they don't understand my disability. That guy hasn't got disabilities at all. Bully is common in disability discrimination though.
What's wrong with you?
Usually to avoid this, you punch the bully in the face.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
Yet the people that bully tend to not be the most successful in later life - so not really.
Mmm yes i agree.
I think bullying is much more a defence for insecure people. Insecure people find it harder to live life well.

HalcyonSky

HSC
The parents probably raped the fuck out of him every day.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
Rebekkie said:
um. no, not really. at least not in the sense that it was when written in the 19th century. western medicine has done heaps to mess with it - has allowed those who would've/should've passed on a long time ago to hang around.
Yeah, it's fucked everything up.

Edward Teach

Blackbeard!
HSC
N/A
Rebekkie said:
um. no, not really. at least not in the sense that it was when written in the 19th century. western medicine has done heaps to mess with it - has allowed those who would've/should've passed on a long time ago to hang around.
not in the least
western medicine hasn't done anything about sexual selection unless you count cosmetic surgery which is fairly minor
or genetic drift
or gene flow
or mutation

it's only tempered natural selection because we look after the sick & disabled... but they don't usually breed anyway

HSC
Tbh, I'm not really sure why the state has been 'rocked' by this suicide. I mean, have they just realised that this shit happens?

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Tbh, I'm not really sure why the state has been 'rocked' by this suicide. I mean, have they just realised that this shit happens?
It's pretty confronting though.

People tend to hide and mask problems, rather than actually dealing with them. So, although most people know that bullying is an epidemic, they're yet to come to the realisation of how serious the problem actually is. With this death, people have actually seen the product of bullying at its worst.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
solomarc20 said:
I think you'd have 2 b pretty crazy 2 take ur own life just because ur being bullied. There'd have 2 b something else in it
bullying is a snowball, guy

HNAKXR

Wooooooo...OOOoOOOOoOOoP!
HSC
N/A
suicide is for pussies

he should have pulled a David Koresh
( because Columbine and Virginia tech are just too sensitive to be referred to)

Wassup?

Banned
HSC
Miles Edgeworth said:
Hahahah that was brilliant "What names did they call you? runt of the litter gayboy"

HHAHAHAHA and that guy wanted to fight him.

Ali: "I reckon I can beat you up"
Guy getting bullied: "I wouldn't be too sure"

LMAO! I love the awkwardness Ali creates. It's amazing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)