• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Terminology help (2 Viewers)

Giant Lobster

HSC
Does anyone know of a site that explains all these degree abbreviations? like BSc and ME and stuff...
Thanks

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
Not sure lol i think any uni site would do
try this and click on a couple of faculties and come to your own conclusions. Here are the most common ones ;
BX = Bachelor of X
MX = Master of X
LLB = Bachelor of Law
PhD = Doctor of Philosophy
MD = Doctor of Medicine
probaby a ton more but they're very logical.

Last edited:

Giant Lobster

HSC
hmm what do the LLs in LLB stand for?
and why are there so much exceptions? like, for MD why isnt it PhD like the rest?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
PhB is the Bachelor of Philosophy, a degree at ANU... it's basically a research degree full of really smart ppl... u proceed straight from a PhB (and u must grad with first-class honours) to a PhD in ANU, which is all good

^___^
HSC
what job u gonna get with a philosophy degree...its a damn tough course i know, but i always wondered wat occupation they get

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
It's not philosophy is its literal sense (it's not about Aristotle or existentialism or anything like that)... the philosophy in PhD or PhB (methinks) means a degree of research/thesis-writing/ultimate 1337ness.

On the other hand, if you genuinely want to study philosophy (Aristotle etc), then it's a bachelor of arts degree methinks... I can think of very good reasons to do 'Philosophy 1001' in uni, most notably the jam-packed lecture theatre full of girls...

Giant Lobster

HSC
wow another exception... why dont they call PhB BPh?
exceptions are gay in every sense possible.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
they call it a PhB bcoz it's the lower degree than PhD. BPh could be Bachelor of Pharmacy u know.

anti: when i was in USYD for three days in philosophy the experience truly opened my eyes.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
U forgot MB - Bachelor of Medicine
MBBS is Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery

Giant Lobster

HSC
But isnt Ph.D for every course at doctorate level? like, u can have a PhD in fluid mechanics or somefin... I dont think the definition of philosophy is properly applied in this case.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Yeah exactly, but ur degree still means Philosophae Doctor which is abbrev to Ph.D... i dont get that. It shud be xxxxxxx Doctor and thus x.D

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Philosophy is derived from Greek, literally meaning something like "friend of thought"... so basically if you're a Doctor of Philosophy of, say, Chemistry, then you're pretty intimate with your beakers and test tubes and other Chem stuff...

sif not 99

yeah any tie back there frigid to the event that occured at cheltenham girls high school in recent years?

for those who didnt know a gal had an unfortunate incident when disturbed alone with a glass testube in a science lab by another teacher, the glass shattered in a rather intimate place, needless to say they were removing the glass for hours apparantly

trying to be tastefull here, leave the rest up to every1s imagination =)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
hahahaha oh god!
how painful and how embarrasing

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i didn't know about the cheltenham thing... but yeah, ouch. the closest experience was doing a fake lay-up at home in the hallway and smashing a hot light globe with my palm... but yeah, I know it's no comparison.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
well a Doctor of Philosophy genarally means that you philosophise in your field of expertise. ie use your knowledge to either refine it or extend it and contribute in your chosen field. PhD's are postgraduate degrees (obviously) so your undergraduate degree is obviously your field of expertise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)