• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Terminology help (1 Viewer)

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
what about these ones?

T.T.C., Cert. Ed., M.Ed. Stud., Ed.D., F.A.C.E., A.M.A.C.E.A, MEdSt, MAACC, Dip Ed Psych, MAPSS, AFAHRI, FRACP?

WHAT IS ALL THIS??

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You don't really need to know what they stand for. :p

My law tutors can't even tell me why B Laws is abbreviated to LLB... :confused:

1 more

fructis
HSC
Originally posted by Lazarus
You don't really need to know what they stand for. :p

My law tutors can't even tell me why B Laws is abbreviated to LLB... :confused:
Hi Laz! LLB comes from the latin 'Legum Baccalaureus'. There are two L's because legum, in the context of `Bachelor of Laws' is a plural.

1 more

fructis
HSC
Hey Asquithian! How did you go in pols? What subjects are you doing next semester? And why aren't you doing law revue??

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
haha if asq was doin law revue, I'd go and watch that jus for him!

1 more

fructis
HSC
I don't know if you knew the names of all the prospective 1-more's in the tuesday 4-5pm Power and Democracy in Australia tutorial, but Hi tim- i am SOPHIE!

Laz i saw you at uni today doing tech crew! yay! (you looked too busy to disturb)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by routemarker
PhD = Doctor of Philosophy
so why has my bio demonstrator done a PhD? i mean, if PhD is for philosophy, why would biology peoples do it?
something thats always confused me.

cayte

(Oh my god), did you read the thread? Doctor of the philosophy of biology. Sorry to be rude, but the answer is in the text, so to speak.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Bear in mind as well that PhD - which is the same as the DPhil offered by some Universities - is the 'standard' form of a doctorate. There is such a thing as a higher doctorate, which is above a PhD, and generally requires a PhD plus many years of experience - For example, the DSc, or Doctor of Science, is a higher doctorate, comparatively rare even amongst academics.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Another thing, what's the criteria difference for someone to be called 'Doctor' in comparison to 'Professor'?

Originally posted by CM_Tutor
Bear in mind as well that PhD - which is the same as the DPhil offered by some Universities - is the 'standard' form of a doctorate. There is such a thing as a higher doctorate, which is above a PhD, and generally requires a PhD plus many years of experience - For example, the DSc, or Doctor of Science, is a higher doctorate, comparatively rare even amongst academics.
So DSc is higher than Ph.D? Wow. Is there anything higher than a DSc CM_Tutor?

asdf

HSC
I've always wondered what "MBA" or "MEM" stands for? masters in something?

santaslayer

HSC
MBA= Masters of Business Administration- pretty standard in todays world IMO if you are going for the top jobs. :)

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by melbournian
I thought a DPhil was a purely Oxford thing. Meaning that people instantly can recognise you got your PhD from Oxford. I could be wrong, but that is what someone I know who is Zgoing to Oxford next year said.
I don't know off hand how many Uni's give DPhil's, but it is an 'ordinary' doctorate, and the equivalent of a PhD.
Originally posted by JKDDragon
Another thing, what's the criteria difference for someone to be called 'Doctor' in comparison to 'Professor'?
Professor and Associate Professor are titles granted as people achieve certain academic ranks. Someone is called 'Doctor' if they have earnt a doctorate (as opposed to being granted an honorary doctorate), or are a medical practitioner.
So DSc is higher than Ph.D? Wow. Is there anything higher than a DSc CM_Tutor?
Yes, DSc is higher, and no, I don't know of any higher academic qualification. Also, there is a difference between academic qualifications and academic ranks - there are plenty of Professors who do not hold higher doctorates.

Collin

HSC
N/A
So say if a doctor has held a Ph.D for a good few years, he may eventually progress to the academic status of 'professor'? I always thought that professors were just people who held Masters degrees.. i.e lower 'rank' than Ph.D hrm.

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
So say if a doctor has held a Ph.D for a good few years, he may eventually progress to the academic status of 'professor'? I always thought that professors were just people who held Masters degrees.. i.e lower 'rank' than Ph.D hrm.
No, in most departments a PhD will be a minimum requirement to hold an academic position, let alone to climb the academic ladder to reach level E - Professor.

Collin

HSC
N/A
So being called professor > doctor. Anything higher than professor? (I'm just curious)

Giant Lobster

HSC
And level E professors only earn about 150k / year max

:( my dream job and its max level pays less than a successful actuary fresh out of macq :( :(

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Giant Lobster
And level E professors only earn about 150k / year max

:( my dream job and its max level pays less than a successful actuary fresh out of macq :( :(
That's in Australia - some people in the US (for example) would be on ALOT more than that.

Also, the Federation Fellowship Professors are on way more than $150k.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
So being called professor > doctor. Anything higher than professor? (I'm just curious)
In Australia, not that I can think of - unless you think a position like Dean or Vice Chancellor or ... is better, which I don't.

PS: The Americans tend to use the title Professor much more freely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)