Test and compare your internet speed (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Highest i've seen is the building 2 at UTS speedtests (go page 2).

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Good, but not like impressive good. Tbh that ping is really high though, try testing a couple more times might be a slow server you tested on.

tattoo2200

HSC
N/A
Internet speed.jpg I get roughly the same. What does ping even mean and how does it affect my internet?

Web Addict

HSC
I'm guessing you have ADSL (/ADSL2) and live real far from the exchange. On top of that if you are connecting to the internet through wifi it's likely going to slow your speeds down even further.

I get great download speeds but Optus cap the upload speeds unfortunately.

I have ADSL2+ and I don't like that far away from the exchange. I also don't use wifi.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What does ping even mean and how does it affect my internet?
Ping is pretty much the time it takes for a packet to be sent and then a reply recieved. (round trip time) Low is good, if the ping is high it usually means you are far away from the server you are pinging. It's a big deal for gamers because a high ping means you are going to get lag, but it's not really a big deal when browsing the internet. Theoritically with a speed test you should be getting higher speeds from a server you have low ping with.

Oh and Web Addict, do you know what speed your plan was advertised as being? There could be something wrong somewhere but unfortunately i've heard that there are lots of dodgy exhanges where people get low speeds and cant fix it on their end.

Web Addict

HSC
Oh and Web Addict, do you know what speed your plan was advertised as being? There could be something wrong somewhere but unfortunately i've heard that there are lots of dodgy exhanges where people get low speeds and cant fix it on their end.
My plan was advertised for speeds of 20 Mb/s up to 25 Mb/s. Does changing modem or switching ISPs help?

Immortalp00n

HSC
just got cable installed
speeds have increased heaps

( i live in rural nt)

RishBonjour

HSC
I pay $130 and receive 1.1 -2 mb/s.
is that fucking normal. FUCK OPTUS. cancelled the plan, changed to TPG already (transition will take 15 more days)

I'm guessing you have ADSL (/ADSL2) and live real far from the exchange. On top of that if you are connecting to the internet through wifi it's likely going to slow your speeds down even further.

I get great download speeds but Optus cap the upload speeds unfortunately.

what plan are you on?
optus said I would get around 5 mb/s and I'm 2.1 kms from exchange point. Called them multiple times (they sent a technician - biggest fucking joke). Its still like 1.1 mb - sometimes 2
Net cuts off when I get a phone call after they sent a shit net gear modem.
Been with optus for like 6 years because I thought 1mb/s was normal lol.

Last edited:

greentae

HSC
N/A
Untitled.png
This is really bad, right? :( I thought my Internet was actually fine, though.. Who's ping is this high, seriously?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
what plan are you on?
optus said I would get around 5 mb/s and I'm 2.1 kms from exchange point. Called them multiple times (they sent a technician - biggest fucking joke). Its still like 1.1 mb - sometimes 2
Net cuts off when I get a phone call after they sent a shit net gear modem.
Been with optus for like 6 years because I thought 1mb/s was normal lol.
No idea sorry, but it's cable with the high speed package or whatever. Distance from the exchange doesn't matter with cable.

RishBonjour

HSC
No idea sorry, but it's cable with the high speed package or whatever. Distance from the exchange doesn't matter with cable.
I changed to TPG because I got sick and tired of optus.
Internet speed is now at 3.5mb/s LOL supposed to get 10 mb+ Technician coming tomorrow. hopefully someone can fix this! can't even watch HD videos on youtube.

greentae

HSC
N/A
lol pretty sure you connected to a wrong server. pings of 300+ are usually outside australia (atleast when I play cod )

Wow haha! I did it again a few hours later and the ping is really different. I'm relieved now c: (still a grade F+ though LOL)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)