Test on unknown Disease!!! (1 Viewer)

lopwer

HSC
hey all so i have a test were we will all enter class as normal. the teacher will then hand out a sheet that tells us the name of a disease and then we get 30mins to research it on computers before having to take a test. its worth 20% and i have no idea how to go about it. Last year the disease was asbestosis so i think its completely random. does anyone have any tips on how to prepare and what to do during the exam?

madharris

HSC
N/A
do you know what dot point(s) the test is on?

lopwer

HSC
i'm not sure if this is what you meant but i found this at the bottom of last years exam paper:
Criteria for Assessment:
Students will be assessed on how well they
12.3.a) Access information from a range of resources including digital technologies and the internet
12.3.b) Practise efficient data collection techniques to identify useful information in secondary sources.
12.3.c) Summarise and collate information from a range of resources.
12.4.d) Evaluate the relevance of secondary information and data in relation to the area of investigation.
12.4.e)Assess the reliability of secondary information and data by considering information from various sources.
12.5. c) Assess and use appropriate methods to acknowledge sources of information.
13.1a).selects and uses appropriate text types for written presentation.
13.1c) Select and use appropriate methods to acknowledge sources of information.
14.1a) Identify trends, patterns and relationships as well as contradictions in data and information.
14.1g) Use cause and effect relationships to explain phenomena.

madharris

HSC
N/A
naa that's not what I meant

THe main things which you will need to know about the disease is

Definition
The cause
The transmission
The host response
Detection
Treatment
Prevention
Control
Statistical information (where it is/was prevalent, if it affects one gender more than the other, etc)

Obviously all of these won't apply to all diseases but use this as a general scaffold of what you need to find out

lopwer

HSC
ok thanks man! sorry i didn't get what you meant.:confused2: but anyway do you have any particular websites that would be good for this kind of assessment. keeping in mind that it is very likely that one of the questions will be How did you insure the reliability of your sources?

madharris

HSC
N/A
Reliability would be looking at the domain (e.g. .edu, .gov, .org, etc)
Reliability would also be using a variety of sources that all say similar/identical info
If you're allowed to use your textbook and your textbook has something about the disease, then reliability would also be comparing it to your textbook and having similar/identical information

I don't know any specific websites, but I'm sure you can find many websites on google, and it should be too difficult to find out which ones are reliable or not based on the domain

EDIT: Try looking up the world health organisation (WHO)
e.g. search "world health organisation malaria", "world health organisation diphtheria", "world health organisation HIV/aids" etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)