• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Textbook Maths in Focus (2 Viewers)

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
I think my school uses Maths in Focus.
Are they the ones with the lame cartoon drawings inside. Did you have a purple book last year for 5.3 syllabus?

mioumiou

HSC
I meant their 3 unit stuff is confusing. They have the Orange Book 1 and then the Blue Book 2. Then they have for 2 unit, the Green book, and I'm not sure how they set out the 3u stuff. They spread it over the orange and blue books, right?
Yap!!

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
Are they the ones with the lame cartoon drawings inside. Did you have a purple book last year for 5.3 syllabus?
I can't remember the colour LOL. I used signpost in years 7-10.

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
Ohh Signpost is the Purple one. My bad.

ilikebeeef

HSC
HAHAHA!! I would be a bit embarrassed too. Seriously, I think the level of the Ext. 1 course can be used as the 2 Unit course.

+1. Maths in Focus is only good for self-learning. Otherwise it sucks because the questions aren't hard enough.

Cambridge is too squished in its explanations but has HEAPS of questions. You'll prolly get sick of them before you finish everything.

Fitzpatrick is "in between" although the examples eg for parametrics are quite confusing to understand if you're trying to learn from it. So much "skipping" of working out.

Last edited:

mioumiou

HSC
+1. Maths in Focus is only good for self-learning. Otherwise it sucks because the questions aren't hard enough.

Cambridge is too squished in its explanations but has HEAPS of questions. You'll prolly get sick of them before you finish everything.

Fitzpatrick is "in between" although the examples eg for parametrics are quite confusing to understand if you're trying to learn from it. So much "skipping" of working out.
+1
It's good to have a few books in the same subjects. Each book as it's own stength and weaknesses.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
My school uses MIF, I wonder if the 2nd edition is any better than the 1st

mioumiou

HSC
My school uses MIF, I wonder if the 2nd edition is any better than the 1st
Hey there, basically, what I've heard is that they just changed the cover of the book and make them in A4 size that's all! nothing much has changed. Cuz the 1st edition, the size is a bit tiny. But there's not much difference between the two. It's a good book for understanding the basic concepts of the new topics but the questions are just really straight forward. :jump:

FCB

Emma Watson <3
HSC
cambridge extension questions are damn impossible lol.....i once spent a whole day trying to figure out how to one related to differentiation
3 of those 4 people that wrote Cambridge text at Sydney Grammar. What do you expect?

Tofuu

HSC
I found that MIF was pretty good for getting the basic idea of a topic
Cambridge is good for harder questions but then again, some of the questions they give is seriously unnecessary

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)