• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

textbook recommendation!! (1 Viewer)

Kayys

HSC
So guys im starting yr 12 in a few weeks and to be honest im absolutely clueless about everything now.

the thought of textbooks just came to mind and i really need some textbook recommendations.

for the HSC im going to study:

- English Standard (should i get a textbook for this?)
- Maths 2u
- Biology
- chemistry
- Economics

so guys which textbooks do you personally recommend? which textbooks are the NO GO ZONE?

Any reply will be greatly APPRECIATED!! :)

unity-

HSC
heinemann for bio!
maths cambridge?

^recommended by me :D

very nice textbooks

kayven

HSC
For 2 unit .... Maths in Focus to learn the content and cambridge for hard questions.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Wont your school provide you will all the textbooks needed?

Anyways...

Maths 2U: If you are doing 'really' well in 2U already then Cambridge would be best, otherwise maths in focus (never got this one).
Economics: Tim Dixon Economics Book :)
Biology: Heinemann ergh... well it's good but I prefer biology in focus. In the end it's up to the person.
Chemistry: Dunno but I heard Conquering Chemistry is good
English Standard: Nah, the teacher should provide most or all of the resources.

findx

HSC
For english, try to get top mark essays and use them as a guide to formulate your own essays. Adequate resources should be provided by the teacher.

RishBonjour

HSC
Bio- heinmann, biology in focus, if I started again, I would prolly use spectrum biology as well. But 90% of the things I get are from the internet.
economics - riley + dixon
2u- maths in focus. Don't really see the need for Cambridge IMO.

Kayys

HSC
Thanks for replying!! yeah the teacher does give materials but sometimes i feel the stuff they give us its too brief?? (if thats the word) everything feels rushed... i guess a bit of extra reading and doing extra questions shouldnt harm!

madharris

HSC
N/A
Bio - Heinemann (I've only used this text book)
2u - cambridge (I've used about 3 text books)
chem - chemistry in context 2 (I've used this and conquering chemistry)
English - there aren't really any textbooks unless you use a study guide

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics: Jacaranda Physics, Physics Contexts
Chemistry: Jacaranda Chemistry, Chemistry Contexts, Conquering Chemistry
2U: Maths in Focus, Cambridge 2U

HSC
Honestly I wouldn't bother with science or english textbooks...

Physics is well covered on csu.online and you can also google. Additionally, there's a bunch of websites specific to HSC phys, including one answering all the "tricky" and usually poorly explained dot points (the name escapes me, but I'm sure it's easy to find). Chem is covered in more than enough detailed on sites like chemguide, and is very accessible. As for English, textbooks aren't worth it...just go to the library to look up things, or find online literary reviews.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics is well covered on csu.online and you can also google. Additionally, there's a bunch of websites specific to HSC phys, including one answering all the "tricky" and usually poorly explained dot points (the name escapes me, but I'm sure it's easy to find). Chem is covered in more than enough detailed on sites like chemguide, and is very accessible.
Such websites can be old and unreliable at times with some missing critical information. It's always best to keep something that has a proven track record and can be trusted at all times to cover everything that is needed.

HSC
Such websites can be old and unreliable at times with some missing critical information. It's always best to keep something that has a proven track record and can be trusted at all times to cover everything that is needed.

Basic physics never changes. The syllabus occasionally does, but not enough to warrent buying a 70 dollar book when a simple google is just as good. Additionally, textbooks are quite poor sometimes, in covering what is needed, ESPECIALLY in physics. Additionally, I found too many textbooks focus too heavily on teaching to the syllabus so much so that you miss everything inbetween.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Basic physics never changes. The syllabus occasionally does, but not enough to warrent buying a 70 dollar book when a simple google is just as good. Additionally, textbooks are quite poor sometimes, in covering what is needed, ESPECIALLY in physics. Additionally, I found too many textbooks focus too heavily on teaching to the syllabus so much so that you miss everything inbetween.
I have a preference for getting a few good sets of notes and a textbook or two for reference in conjunction with online websites. Good range of resources.

asdfqwerty

HSC
chem: conquering chem (but the questions are pretty hard except for the end of module exams)
bio: bio in focus.

HSC
I have a preference for getting a few good sets of notes and a textbook or two for reference in conjunction with online websites. Good range of resources.
And that's fair enough. It's just a question of if it is worth it. I think the OP should not jump the gun, and use school issued textbooks. The wealth of resources online far, far, faaaar outweighs the benefit of a textbook and will do wonders for your researching stills.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
And that's fair enough. It's just a question of if it is worth it. I think the OP should not jump the gun, and use school issued textbooks. The wealth of resources online far, far, faaaar outweighs the benefit of a textbook and will do wonders for your researching stills.
The school textbook is usually enough assuming it's a half decent one and not something like Oxford.

HSC
maths 2unit: maths in focus and cambridge. Also my teacher said the new senior fitzpatrick one contains harder questions if you wanted to give that a go.
Biology: biology in focus ! I wouldn't suggest the biology in context (the spectrum of life) it has too much unnecessary info that doesn't answer the dot point.
hope that helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)